Pico Duarte in Dec

mizterdo

Dec 4, 2005
Hello my fellow DR lovers, as i'm going to be vistiting my country this december I was wondering if there's anyway I could make my way to "Pico Duarte", have you people known of any excursions, and what is economical, paying a tour company, or make my way thru the towns around the peak and hire local guide, and which way is more enjoyable since I enjoy the mundane so
established tours are not my first choice. I'm looking foward to meet people on the road and so on, also is there any surfing lessons available in the country??. Thanks!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hello my fellow DR lovers, as i'm going to be vistiting my country this december I was wondering if there's anyway I could make my way to "Pico Duarte", have you people known of any excursions, and what is economical, paying a tour company, or make my way thru the towns around the peak and hire local guide, and which way is more enjoyable since I enjoy the mundane so
established tours are not my first choice. I'm looking foward to meet people on the road and so on, also is there any surfing lessons available in the country??. Thanks!!!
It's a 3-4 day trip. Best to use folks who know the ropes.

Most people I know do it on a mule or horse.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There were a couple of guys that did "their" thing and had a ball. Do a search of Trip Reports and see if you can't find their post.

Use Pico Duarte as your search key...should be fun

HB

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
I recently went up pico duarte. If you go there on the base you can rent a mule and a couple of guides. Around 2 giudes and they can tell you about the trips there. man it was a cool experience.

mizterdo

Dec 4, 2005
Hello all, I got some info on Camping Tours, a tour operator based in Santiago. I may go with that option since it looks more convenient, because my trip will be based in Santiago. Thanks for the responses everyone!!!

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
Don't go with an organised tour - they will rip you off, and provide rubbish service. I know people who got really screwed by guide companies. I recommend just going up to La Cienaga and hiring a guide (ask in the Colmado), and a mule. All the guides are members of an association, fully trained and are truly excellent - the tour companies are unregulated. There is a guagua that runs from Jarabacoa all the way to La Cienaga, plus you can easily "echar una bola" (get a lift from passing agricultural truck)

I spent several weeks running around the forest around Pico Duarte on research, so I know the different options. Just make sure that your guide is a member of GRIN-GUIAS, the guides association. The rates are fixed (last year they were 300 a day for a guide plus 200 a day per mule). Big notice at park entrance in La Cienaga will confirm this, and the mules are obligatory. Tip generously, and ENJOY!!!

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Second on George's advice

It's a little tougher to set up, but definitely worth it NOT to go with the organized tours. I tried to find one I could work with but I kept hitting the same wall... Really expensive and you HAVE to use their equipment. Of the equipment I have seen, its kinda shoddy (albeit newish) and I just have something about sleeping in a bag someone else did the weekend before sweating their way up Duarte.

You have to have a guide and unless you are really fit and experienced you will not want to backpack your stuff up the hill. If for no other reason, if you get injured the mule may be you best and fastest way down.

The guides there are great and amazing! Regardless of their age, they sprint up and down the mountain like Navy Seals. They are friendly and will take great care of you. Last year I went up and down in two days. This year I will take three. More time to enjoy and recover. The whole thing cost $1,000RD and I gave them an extra $1,500. Wonderful weekend experience for under $100 US.

Buddy

Don't go with an organised tour - they will rip you off, and provide rubbish service. I know people who got really screwed by guide companies. I recommend just going up to La Cienaga and hiring a guide (ask in the Colmado), and a mule. All the guides are members of an association, fully trained and are truly excellent - the tour companies are unregulated. There is a guagua that runs from Jarabacoa all the way to La Cienaga, plus you can easily "echar una bola" (get a lift from passing agricultural truck)

I spent several weeks running around the forest around Pico Duarte on research, so I know the different options. Just make sure that your guide is a member of GRIN-GUIAS, the guides association. The rates are fixed (last year they were 300 a day for a guide plus 200 a day per mule). Big notice at park entrance in La Cienaga will confirm this, and the mules are obligatory. Tip generously, and ENJOY!!!

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Solid advice this. But, how do you get your gear if you just turn up in La Cienaga to hire a local guide? There's not that many opportunities to use a tent, sleeping bag, mattress, camping stove, etc in the DR apart from climbing Duarte. Apart from buying it locally or going through the trouble of taking it all with you from abroad for the one occasion, how to arrange your equipment?

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
By the way, you have to have a guide and mule if you are going to enter the park - it is written in the rules since some tourist went missing and was never found back in the 80s. The guides will provide pots and pans etc and do all the cooking so don't worry about that. They don't have fancy sleeping bags, or tents (as far as I know) but will provide warm blankets, and there are huts. It gets really very cold there - snow is not unheard of, and the humidity really cools you down. However, the forest is absolutely beautiful, so definately worth the trip.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Actually, half an option

Actually, buying equipment here is really not an option. There are few places that sell camping equipment and those that do have limited, overpriced low-end products. You will not find an EMS or a REI here.

As for the huts, the good thing about them is they are there. They tend to fill up. A small bivy is the way to go. If you have your own equipment and life using it you will have to pack it along. If you do consider less is more.

Guess this is the other side of going with an outfitter.

Solid advice this. But, how do you get your gear if you just turn up in La Cienaga to hire a local guide? There's not that many opportunities to use a tent, sleeping bag, mattress, camping stove, etc in the DR apart from climbing Duarte. Apart from buying it locally or going through the trouble of taking it all with you from abroad for the one occasion, how to arrange your equipment?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
There are huts? OK, that's a big difference. Is there some sort of reservation system (probably not) or first come first served? Pardon my ignorance, but what is a bivy?

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
There are huts? OK, that's a big difference. Is there some sort of reservation system (probably not) or first come first served? Pardon my ignorance, but what is a bivy?

A Bivy is a one-person backpacking tent. They are usually light and fairly expensive.

There are two huts at La Comparticion, the guides usually stay in the smaller one. As you can see its a fairly good size shelter. Yes, I guess its first-come first-serve. Judging how tightly packed the taxis get down here my guess is no one ever sleeps outside who doesn't want to.

I have photos of the huts as well as the trail map for the climb. I tried to post it in here and haven't quite figured it out. I will email them if requested.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
......A Bivy is a one-person backpacking tent. They are usually light and fairly INexpensive.

Sorry, I just fired my proofreader. Bivy's are inexpensive, as tents go.

kenDude

Feb 1, 2007
4 Logistical Questions for Pico Duarte

I'm arriving in DR on a Thursday afternoon. I want to start my hike up Pico Duarte on Friday. An earlier post in this thread said the best way to go is to hire a guide and mule at La Cienaga.

(1) How early in the morning should I get to La Cienaga?
(2) Where should I spend Thursday night and how can I get to La Cienaga in the AM? Obviously if the answer to (1) is around 10 or 11, any guagua can take me there.
(3) Can I leave stuff with guides at La Cienaga or should I arrange to leave stuff at the place I stay and pick up on my return?
(4) If I leave La Cienaga Friday morning, when do I get back?

Thanks!
Ken
P.S. The earlier post recommended going to La Cienaga and hiring a guide (ask in the Colmado), and a mule. All the guides are members of an association, fully trained and are truly excellent - the tour companies are unregulated. There is a guagua that runs from Jarabacoa all the way to La Cienaga, plus you can easily "echar una bola" (get a lift from passing agricultural truck)

kenDude

Feb 1, 2007
Oh, and one other quick logistical question.--I'd rather join others and hike in a group to Pico Duarte. Any tips on whether that's possible, either in Jarabacoa or in La Cienaga