Any recommended restaurant in Sosua

I

Ian

As subject says. Going down on Jan 24th. Looking for one $$$ and a few $$ or $, eating out recomendations for Sosua.

J

Jim Hinsch

The best in Sosua (reservations recommended): On the Waterfront. See <A HREF="http://www.waterfrontdr.com/restaurant.html">http://www.waterfrontdr.com/restaurant.html</A> or click on the link below.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

L

Lynda

Jim, I have a question

How does the beef at this restaurant compare to US or CAN beef? I have always found the beef in the DR to be tough, even at some good restaurants.

T

thomas

At 22 Calle Rosen, near Calle Pedro Clisante,just down the street from Harrison's Jewelers is a Blues Bar/Vegetable Stand called ROCKY'S. To the right of Rocky's is Mama Mia's, terrific Italian food and great pizza. To the left of Rocky's is an excellent Mexican Resaurant called Los Charros (try the chicken fajitas). On Calle Pedro Clisante, down the street from Harrison's is a steakhouse called El Torro. I've heard it is good and reasonably priced. For excellent Dominican food in the afternoon try La Gaviota, its between Codetel and the beach. they have other items in the evening. I guess the Waterfront is OK I've heard its over-priced and have never been there. There's another pricey Italian place on Calle Alejo Martinez near Calle Ayunamiento called La Bologna or something like that. Its pretty good. If you go to Sosua Beach, there's a great little place back behind all the vendors that has THE best Domincan food. I don't know the name, its off the beaten path and all the locals eat there. Ask around and you should find it. Enjoy!

L

Laura

Re: Waterfront *******

This is the best place to eat. You will love it and the price is good. Have a great time and try it one time.

W

William Leslie

I agree with all of these. El Toro is better and cheaper than On The Waterfront (Quite expensive) although with less items and without the view. Also try the Crepe Bretone...Excellent Dominican & International foods..smaller portions..very cheap, excellent food. I beleive the owner is a grand daughter of the Juan Bosch. Also try El Molino..Good Italian food and very reasonable..

N

Nadine

You can also try the Morua Mai. I would rate it $$ (depending on what $ means :). I have been there twice and ate very good seafood. However, I can't compare with the previously mentioned restaurants. You will find more information about this restaurant (and others) on the following Web site <A HREF="http://www.sosua.com">http://www.sosua.com</A>/ Hope this helps. Nadine.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Beef at On the Waterfront.

It is equal. It must be imported. Most fine restaurants use beef imported from the USA or Argentina (which also is very good). In fact, when I ate at Camp David in Santiago a few months ago (high atop a mountain overlooking the valley), they served Omaha Steaks. For those of you not familiar with Omaha Steaks, this is an expensive and premium brand of beef, near Angus quality, sold in the USA via special outlet stores and by mail order, frozen and shrink wrapped.

The owner of On the Waterfront Restaurant is Canadian (David Hall).

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

A

Anna

Ian there are alot of places to eat on Piedro Clesente. For an inexpensive lunch of 35 to 60 pesos I enjoyed The Britannia Pub. It's owned by Canadians. I had drinks at the Waterfront and it's a wonderful place but I didn't eat therefore I can't comment on the food but I hear it's great.

R

Richard

You might also check out La Roca on the main street at the laneway to the beach. There is a large terrace where you can sit and enjoy tthe ppassing parade. The place is operated by Kiwi John a long time resident of the D.R. He was in POP before taking up the reins of La Roca. They often have a lobster night at the right price. their teepee signs at the front and the side list each days special. For the most part, the quality is good, the staff attentive and the prices right.

R

Richard

A couple ofother places to consider are Mama Juana on the main street which offers excellent shnitzel at the right price and Atlantico in Charamicos which has a fantastic view and specializes in seafood. Also in Charamicos is Cafe Central (Centro?) which has great liver and onions and caters to both Dominicans, ex-pats and tourists alike. For sure there are all kinds of good restaurants and of course, all kinds of not so good. if you go t o Puerto Plata try Cafe Cito, operated by Tim Hall, the Canadian Consul. Check out his restaurant on the web site pasted below.

D

Dave

If you are on the beach in Sosua, about halfway down is a reasonably priced one, the food is good: Restaurant Dominicano-Cubano.