What's the hype about Dominican Hair Stylists? - An Article

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Everything that has ever been said about Dominican hair stylists is true. They are THE BEST damn hair stylists with all kinds of hair. When I had my long curly hair I used to visit a salon every saturday with my ex girlfriend. She got me into going. I as a guy was very careless and was only growing it for the look (was in a metal band at the time). My hair tips were always split and the hair had no bounce to it. It was a big mess. 3 weeks after I started going to the salon with her I noticed the differences. It had a shine to it and softness I had never experienced. And they treated my hair exactly like they describe in this article. Wash, deep condition, rollers to the dryer, then remove rollers and blow dry.

Here is a picture to show how lustrous my hair was:

4dx56is.gif

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Everything that has ever been said about Dominican hair stylists is true. They are THE BEST damn hair stylists with all kinds of hair. When I had my long curly hair I used to visit a salon every saturday with my ex girlfriend. She got me into going. I as a guy was very careless and was only growing it for the look (was in a metal band at the time). My hair tips were always split and the hair had no bounce to it. It was a big mess. 3 weeks after I started going to the salon with her I noticed the differences. It had a shine to it and softness I had never experienced. And they treated my hair exactly like they describe in this article. Wash, deep condition, rollers to the dryer, then remove rollers and blow dry.

4dx56is.gif

that's too funny Alex, but I can't see the picture!!!.

you sound like a shampoo commercial lol

oops now I see the picture, it popped up.

Wow you look like a true metalhead!!! you are too funny. you wild thing.

Sep 19, 2005
funny the dominicans rave about their dominican salons. My sister was a beautician in a salon for 20 years, and my daughter took it up as well. And I have seen the products they said were good and what was bad for your hair ect ect ect....fast forward to my dominican gf, who lives in the DR. She goes once a week to the salon... and I naturely tag along once in a while when I am down. Man my eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw the smoke coming from her hair, being blow dried!!!!!!!....her hair wasnt wet anymore , but the girl took the blow dryer to it while she had her hair tight in a big brush....and she kept the dryer right on the hair...you could smell the hair and the brush burning!!!!!!!!!! blue smoke all over....

I told my gf after that visit.

That cant be very good for your hair..they are over processing your hair.... and damaging it.....they probably tell you , you need to get your hair trimmed often, because of split ends huh!!!!!!!!!!!!....a yeah!!!!!

My gf told me thats the way they do it......we got into a discussion once later on about that BURNING....well the lady who owned the shop and her husband, both said that smoke is steam..

ha ha ha ha ha.......what can i say.....they dont have a clue...and I wasnt about to educate them...

blue, burnt hair smelling.. STEAM!!... .right. ...sure .. . what ever.

a lot of dominican women have some curl to their hair, but they want it straight...so they blow it dry...after I saw that burning..i suggested to my GF, she relax her hair. They can do it in a salon, or you can do it yourself....

So i bought some and did her hair( thats a whole other story ha ha).

she loved it...and she didnt have to go to the salon as often, and when her hair dried, it was almost straight with out a blowdryer.....well the lady at the salon said......are you ready?.......

"thats bad for your hair..it damages it"...so the lady cut the ends of my GFs hair and saved her hair, and convinced my gf not to do it again.

hey, I figure you cant fight the tide.....let em do what they want and believe what they want...

its ingrained.....maybe even inate.....

bob

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
.....they probably tell you , you need to get your hair trimmed often, because of split ends huh!!!!!!!!!!!!....a yeah!!!!!

Funny you should mention that. I have noticed that both in the US and the DR the beauticians tell the lady clients the same BS. The beauticians
just keep on clipping (supposedly to make the hair grow longer) meanwhile
their hair is getting shorter and shorter. I am bewildered why my wife will let her continue to cut her hair.:surprised

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
funny the dominicans rave about their dominican salons. Man my eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw the smoke coming from her hair, being blow dried!!!!!!!....her hair wasnt wet anymore , but the girl took the blow dryer to it while she had her hair tight in a big brush....and she kept the dryer right on the hair...you could smell the hair and the brush burning!!!!!!!!!! blue smoke all over....
I told my gf after that visit.

That cant be very good for your hair..they are over processing your hair.... and damaging it.....they probably tell you , you need to get your hair trimmed often, because of split ends huh!!!!!!!!!!!!....a yeah!!!!!

blue, burnt hair smelling.. STEAM!!... .right. ...sure .. . what ever.

..i suggested to my GF, she relax her hair. They can do it in a salon, or you can do it yourself....

So i bought some and did her hair( thats a whole other story ha ha).

bob

oh Bob you are kinky, some people shave each other you relax your gf's hair!!!lol
I won't go back to someone who burns my hair like that, it has happened before but yes most black women in NY like going to the Dominican salons. They do do something different that keeps them coming back.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
Where's the pic?

[quote=El Tigre;450542]Everything that has ever been said about Dominican hair stylists is true. They are THE BEST damn hair stylists with all kinds of hair. When I had my long curly hair I used to visit a salon every saturday with my ex girlfriend. She got me into going. I as a guy was very careless and was only growing it for the look (was in a metal band at the time). My hair tips were always split and the hair had no bounce to it. It was a big mess. 3 weeks after I started going to the salon with her I noticed the differences. It had a shine to it and softness I had never experienced. And they treated my hair exactly like they describe in this article. Wash, deep condition, rollers to the dryer, then remove rollers and blow dry.

4dx56is.gif
[/quote]
What happened to the picture??

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
OK, my computer must have been malfunctioning, because yesterday there was just a little red X where the picture was supposed to be.
BTW to El Tigre, me being a male, I don't usually compliment men on their looks but you are really hittin' hard in that pic....and with the long hair & phallic chain hanging.....the women in the forum must be going crazy!