Living

merath2005

Oct 28, 2006
I was offered a good position in the resort industry in Punta Cana and I am seriously considering accepting it. My wife, however, has concerns about living there with th kids ( 8 and 3 ). She believes that the diiference in life style betwwen the US and the DR might impact the kids in a negative way which I disagree. Her concerns are centered in themes such as education, health and safety. I would like to have some input so I can prove her wrong

backinthedr

Apr 10, 2004
check it out first

My advice is for you and your wife to go to Punta Cana before you except the job.....it's not for the light-hearted. If this is a timeshare position, you are foolish to move your entire family before you check out the real deal. Most of the resorts have cut commissions and now take out a 30% tax off the top. Go there in person and talk to the staff....they will tell you EVERYTHING and probably more than you want to know. You can pm me for more info

merath2005

Oct 28, 2006
Thanks for the info. Yes, this is for a timeshare resort but as a Director of Marketing with a salary and the whole 9.But I will check it out anyways.

dmad

Jun 12, 2004
we did

My family and I have been here for 3 months now,and have no regrets.It was much more difficult for the kids 12 and 10 than for my wife and I.They miss there friends back home and certain north american stuff like fast food,video games,24 hr power ect.If your family is like mine the first month will be very tough,but it does get better.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Merath2005,

Once again welcome to DR1 your 'everything you ever wanted to know about the DR' message board.

I have no experience with your job field so I will not comment on that but as I have the experience of having lived here for 10 years in a 'retired' mode I feel experienced enough to comment on some aspects of your pending decision.

I request that you read these three links first then come back with any additional questions you may have. These links will begin to give you an idea as to what you will be up against;
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/48561-2006-info-moving-dr.html
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/47622-private-schools.html
http://www.dr1.com/realestate/info/index.html

Some basic comments from me would be;
You need to come down in a visitor mode and check it out first as the difference between here and the US is like night and day and can't be thoroughly explained and therefore must be experienced to completely understand.

If your family, wife and children, do not speak Spanish it will be a problem for them which will be compounded or diminished depending on their frame of mind concerning this move.

Unless you have the necessary monies to pay for a decent education at a private school here your children will suffer in the realm of education. That is the truth of the situation concerning education here or lack thereof. If you don't have the necessary monies and your children must attend public school all instruction will be in Spanish as that is the national language.

Due to the country as a whole experiencing internment periods of having water and or electricity this requires a lot of getting used to. If you don't have such things as a cistern installed for water and an inverter for electricity this can cause a lot of frustration.

If the rapid availability of an ambulance for emergencies or policemen for other problems is a requirement for comfortable living then forget it as it doesn't exist here.

The most important advice that I think I can give you is to do what ever you decide in a temporary mode so that you can see if it is what you may want to do. DO NOT BURN YOUR BRIDGES BEHIND YOU. If you decide that the DR isn't your cup of tea you want the option to go back to your prior life.

Rick

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Rick, the OP is asking about Punta Cana, where much of the usual advice re integration with Dominicans, schooling and power problems may not apply.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Chiri,

Yes you are correct but even PC has their share of Dominican related problems depending on where within PC you happen to live.

Just another reason to come on down and check it out before moving the whole family down lot-stock-and barrel in the quest of a new life.

Rick

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I would like to have some input so I can prove her wrong

Does that mean you don't want information which might prove her right? ;) I'm not asking personal questions about the strength of your relationship, but would say after 14 years of living in DR that if the 2 of you don't work as a team, you're doomed...........:ermm:

Have they offered you accommodation with this job? In one of the PC hotels? Or would you be looking to live in a more Dominican town like La Otra Banda or Higuey? Or do you even know? Hotel life in PC would be completely different to Dominican life in La Otra Banda as Chiri has indicated.

merath2005

Oct 28, 2006
I appreciate all the input but it is still in the air for me. What are the problem you are talking about? What's the drawbacks found in the rest of the country and not found in Punta Cana? Are most of the foreigners living there happy?
Why living in the DR in comparison to the US is like comparing night and day? Although I've been living in the US for over 15 years, we are brazilians ( the kids were born here ). Does it chance perspectives. Sorry but I am still a little confused.
Thanks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I hope one of our Punta Cana-based posters will chime in to explain - but from my relatively uninformed point of view, and speaking as someone who has only been there once, Punta Cana is an enclave consisting of a number of large resorts with very little contact with Dominican community life, unless, as Lambada says, you live in a relatively nearby city like Higuey and commute from there.

Higuey is the only urban centre in the area, which is remote and a little isolated from the rest of the country.

Punta Cana itself has a reliable electricity service, unlike most of the rest of the DR.

There may be private/international schools catering for the expat community - check the schools thread (see Rick's post for link).

As everyone else is advising, you'd have to come and see for yourself to understand what we're trying to say. Living in that area is not really comparable to living any other part of the DR.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Punta Cana is the newest developed area for tourists on the island. Its location prior to its development was pretty much barren as to other communities and therefore suffered a lack of closely placed Dominicans. Due to its development it has caused a number of small communities to pop up but these communities are usually inhabited by the workers that helped in the construction of PC. A lot of the local, Dominican, service workers that work there transport in from areas like Higuey and La Romana.

PC is made up of a lot of AI hotels which, due to their makeup, do not require the visitors to leave their resort for anything thereby giving them the ability to supply needed electricity and water to their guests without having to supply any of the local population. Cities like Higuey and La Romana are on a separate system then that which supplies the PC area.

PC is also further expanding with a number of condos and golf courses but once again all that is a community within itself and therefore separate from the ?rest? of the DR.

This is the basic reason that if one truly wishes to experience the true Dominican it is necessary to travel out some distance from PC.

I am no expert on living in PC but I would venture to say that living there would be very different then living here in El Seybo due to the fact that you are liable to always have electricity and water which is something that can?t be said about my town.

Living in PC would also allow you the availability of having more English speaking people present and in close proximity and therefore the possibility of having English speaking schools for your children.

The down side to living in PC, my opinion, is the cost of living associated with the area. You have some very famous and wealthy people buying into that area to live and because of that the costs associated with everything are naturally going to be much higher then they are in places like here in El Seybo or even Santo Domingo.

Rick

Oct 29, 2006
After living in New York for over 36 years (I was born in Spain); I re-discovered the Domincan Republic this year. Yes I was here (Santo Domingo & Puerto Plata in 1885) What a difference 20 years made!!!!
I always new that dominicans are a very gracious and hospitable people, but in my last 4 trips (all this year) I found out much more.

Government: I believe the actual government is doing a very good job (within the limits od their budget) Their iniciative in promoting foreing investment in Construction and hospitality services is showing everywhere. They are working really hard (and getting results) in educating natives about the importance of protecting and caring for visitors, as a very important source of income for the Country.
Illiteracy have been eliminated or reduced to practically 0 (I believe it's actually 3% for men and 2% for women). The newer generations of dominicans are very well informed about democracy, politics and how important the turism business is.

Racism: It's very possible that the Dominican Republic is the most racism free country in the world. There are no colors here. They have been exposed to the mix of races long before the United States was born.

I'm 61 years old, self-employed and looking for a future retirement in the Dominican Republic. I really see a lot more advantages than inconveniences.
Sure, the rent per capita is still under US$8,000 a year; but I would bet that this amount here in the Dominican Republic, goes much further that US$30,000 in the United States.
To me, the Dominican Republic has the most beautiful beaches in the world,
the country in general has tremendous potential to develop a new kind of turism: National Parks, Rivers, Waterfalls, Caves, etc., all in all, some of the most beatiful scenic views (mountains, beaches, etc) to be encountered any
where in the world.
The infrastructure is improving with some highways like Santo Domingo to Santiago (you can make the trip in under 2 hours) and Santo Domingo San Pedro de Macoris. However, in my opinion this is an area where the government should accelerate proyects in order to acommodate the growing number of visitors and business.
With 7 international airports, the Domincan Republic has one of the easiest access in the Caribbean.

As one of my favorites hobbies, my experience with restaurants in the Dominican Republic, has been a very positive one; with a big advantage: you can have a very nice gourmet meal anywhere in the island, including martinis, apetizers, main course and desert for less than half of what you would pay in the United States in comparable establishments. Tips: visit these restaurants:
Cofresi bar & Grill, next to SeaWorld in Cofresi (Bahia de Maimon)
Aura Beach Club in Juan Dolio
Museo del Jamon, Santo Domingo's zona colonial
Al Fresco, Pasta Grill & Sushi in Playa Dorada (Puerto Plata)
La Ponderosa Lobster House, Puerto Plata

We are looking for a property in the Dominican Republic (Condo or beach house). The advantages here are very obvious: No Real EState tax and virtually no maintance costs, maybe $100 to $150 a month, and that, in most cases, will include electrical, gardening, security, water, etc.
Your retirement money can go a long way.

The language is obviously very important. As a spanish speaking person, things are much easier for me; however a growing number of natives speak and/or can communicate in english.

Give yourself and your family a chance; go there, don't be afraid, I'm sure you''ll get used to the easy style of living. If not, pack your suitcases, get back and, at least you'll be richer for the experience.

Sometimes, when we get back to Kennedy Airport in New York, I tell my wife jockingly: "I feel like we are getting back to a third world country"
With every trip I make, I feel it's less of a joke.