work/timeshares

tazboardergirl

Aug 5, 2006
Hi, i'm moving down to the d.r. end of nov, after the weather hits, and my job is at the Cayenna beach resort, in punta cana. I was wondering if anyone knows of this hotel and what your take is on it. I've never sold time shares, and tho the job has a bad rep, i'm hoping the company/resort is good. so i'm looking for info. thanks

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Hello. I would call your attention to my reply to this question on the other thread. "tho the job has a bad rep" is absolutely true, but within the industry there are many resorts that offer a workable program. However, I don't know about this property.

The combination of all-inclusives and timeshare has always had an odd ring to it for me because the selling point about timeshare has always been that you get a condo instead of a hotel room and you have a kitchen that you can take advantage of. If Cayenna offers a product that requires the owner to take an all-inclusive package, which it almost certainly does, then you have to take the following sales tack because the "economics" won't make sense.

Specifically, what most people don't get about timeshare is that its biggest value is that it makes a consumer make a commitment to future vacations. It is the Twelve Step Program for Workaholics. It's almost never about saving money or selling something twenty years down the road. So if you can get Dad to agree in front of Mom that , yes, he values leisure time with his family on a recurring basis--plus all the benefits that travel can provide--then it hardly matters whether there is an all-inclusive requirement or not.

Keep it all emotional, but I agree that if you can somehow discover that this particular resort is offering an unreliable deal, you should find something else to sell.

I understand that this Cayenna Club is part of a bigger hotel, so your key question to ask is "How do the contracts protect (your clients) when and if the hotel is sold?" If it's an LTI hotel, I think they owned what is now Breezes in Sosua/Cabarete, so it will be instructive to find out what happened to any LTI timeshare owners after that transaction. Did the buyer (Breezes) honor the LTI timeshare owners' contracts?

Frankly, this is going to be very tricky for you, as a beginner, to determine. So, you need to decide now whether you are going to just put your head down and sell no matter what the deal is--versus doing the due diligence that I suggest. I can pretty much guarantee that no timeshare salesperson in the world would do that due diligence, so keep in mind that your colleagues will probably challenge you on a daily basis.

That is, you will be hearing all the tricks (and possibly exaggerations) that your colleagues will be using--can you take that?

If the deal works and is reliable, then it hardly matters if you have a few "urgency" tricks to use to close sales--so long as they are not misrepresentations.

Having said all that, the DR is a place with loads of positives. Rigid legal protections for potential timeshare buyers are not among them.

Can you live with the grey areas?

Good luck.