Traveling with alot of cash...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
I am going to be carrying with me alot of money, when I go for vacation in Feb. I am a bit worried about it.

Any suggestions ofwhat I can do? I have a debit/credit card, but I dont know if they charge extra fees in the D.R.

monster

Oct 16, 2005
Just dont carry over $10,000. Once I carried alot of money to DR but I never had a problem so dont worry so much about it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
$$$

charges depend on your bank. i have accounts in two london banks, both of them do charge but not too much. and the exchange rate is MUCH better than the one offered here. when i took 2000 pesos off the atm the bank charged me 34 pounds, with the current street rate of a pound on that day 34 pounds would have given me 1800 pesos. not a big saving but always something!

my mum on the rare days when she bothers to go to the bank puts her money in an envelope, said envelope into an old plastic bag from one of cheap supermarkets. works for her! (we are talking about few average monthly wages in my country here).

just be careful and all will be ok.

btw i think there is a limit, 10.000 us dollars you can bring to DR, is there not?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I am going to be carrying with me alot of money, when I go for vacation in Feb. I am a bit worried about it.

Any suggestions ofwhat I can do? I have a debit/credit card, but I dont know if they charge extra fees in the D.R.

It would be safer that you carry debit cards, credit cards & travellers checks, carrying alot of cash is risky and is not protected if lost. Just use ATM's, preferrably the ones that you can just swipe, and use cash when buying items. But if you must, bring in cash anything under US$10,000 has to be declared, which they will just grill you on the reasons why you are bringing in so much cash, other than that you can bring $100,000, if you want, just have your explanation ready.

Playero

Aug 24, 2006
Even Western Union charges less than Airport Security when they get you with 100?000 $. No matter how good your explanation is. Travelling with a lot of cash is just not to be recommended.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
And if you ARE

going to carry a lot of cash into the DR, be sure to post about it on the most widely read Dominican forum, so as many people as possible will know about it!!!!;) :ermm: :paranoid: :eek:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Post your flight number as well!
This way the highest ranked Colonial can meet you at SDQ!

Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh:ermm:

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
We are ready

Well just let us know the time of your arrival and you wont have to worry any more..They can kill for less than you think...Could you specify the amount, because when we have paid off the Customs, Policia and the local motoconcho hit men there might not be much left for the ' Good Guys '.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Secure it at all times

That means all the time. A friend of mine, a Puerto rican gentleman got robbed before he even got to the hotel. A woman saw him, ran up to him as his hands were full with his suitcases. She came up and hugged him and planted a kiss on him. The envelope which had his money in it was later found to be gone. $4,500.00 US dollars...vanished.

Even myself.... Let my guard down recently. Not paying attention while getting pesos at an ATM. 7 AM, sunny day, nobody on the street. I walked away from the ATM, stuffing the 4.000 RD into my front left pocket. Then whammo...a crazed, drugged up puta attempted to pick pocket me by trying to kiss me and then going into my left front pocket. They (her and her moto concho partner in crime) were staking out the ATM from across the street. It happens even to the best and smartest of us. Do not drop your guard and assume that you are being watched at all time because you are being watched. Count on it.

Listen folks, these people are professionals. They don't just sit around watching the platino grow, they are watching YOU, studying YOU. The shoeshine boys, the moto conchos, the money changers, the taxi drivers, the putas, the putos, the tourist cops, the PN, everyone is watching you. DO NOT pull money out and flash it around.

Once you are safely in your hotel room take the money out of a SECURE area on your body (and does not mean the wallet in your back pocket or purse). PUT THE MONEY, YOUR PASSPORT, CERDIT CARDS, AIRLINE TICKETS, MEDICATION, EYEGLASSES, JEWELRY AND ALL OTHER ID IN THE SAFE. Make copies of your passport and other ID and keep them on you in a plastic ID case. Do not carry more money on you then you will need for the day. Worse case scenerio is that you will have to make another trip back to the hotel room.

These folks that live here for the most part are decent people. However, they see stupid and I mean stupid foreigners waddling back and forth with money literally falling out of their pockets. What would you do if you lived in a town where a bunch of Donald Trumps and Bill Gates walked around with money falling out of their pockets??? Hmmmmmm? Exactly....

Lock up your money or add yourself to the many other idiots that cry the blues after they lose! No sympathy for stupid gringos that lose their money.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Wow lucky I dont have any pics up on this site LOL I am only carrying 12,000usd.

I might just strap it with tape somewhere on my body...it doesnt matter if my skin rips off. I rather handle the pain of pulling the tape than getting robbed.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Wow lucky I dont have any pics up on this site LOL I am only carrying 12,000usd.

I might just strap it with tape somewhere on my body...it doesnt matter if my skin rips off. I rather handle the pain of pulling the tape than getting robbed.

You don't seem to understand that if you don't declare it, and it is found by customs, it will be confiscated. You will have a hell of a time getting it back.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you get caught with it and do not DECLARE it, be prepared to lose all of it.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
That much will have to be claimed

Anything over $9,999.99 MUST be claimed. But you already knew that, didn't you? The treasury department will know how much you will be leaving with. Those little strips inside the money? Ahhhhh, they are there for a reason.

Under $9,999.99 and you are ok.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
a lot of money by who's standards ?

Standards... a middle classed mother of 2 going on vacation......its not easy to save when you live in the U.S. with mortgage, bills, food, child care etc,etc.etc.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
I really didnt know about declaring the money, because I havent been to D.R in over 12 years.

I might be better off sending half by Western Union to my uncle.....(the only person I can trust).

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Standards... a middle classed mother of 2 going on vacation......its not easy to save when you live in the U.S. with mortgage, bills, food, child care etc,etc.etc.

What legitimate reason could there be that would require a middle classed mother of 2 going on vacation carry US$ 12,000 in cash to the DR? Anything that you have to pay for here legitimately would accept a bank wire transfer, costing you about $35.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Now you are talking sense

I really didnt know about declaring the money, because I havent been to D.R in over 12 years.

I might be better off sending half by Western Union to my uncle.....(the only person I can trust).

There ya go. How about wiring it to a bank down there? Lot easier and safer too. All you need is the routing number and account number. I purchase cars and jeepetas for my rental business this way. Western Union charges a huge fee for money transfers. Ask your uncle if he has an accounthere. If he doesn't have him open one.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
There ya go. How about wiring it to a bank down there? Lot easier and safer too. All you need is the routing number and account number. I purchase cars and jeepetas for my rental business this way. Western Union charges a huge fee for money transfers. Ask your uncle if he has an accounthere. If he doesn't have him open one.

That sounds like a good idea. I will have to ask him that....Pretty sure he has a bank acct. down there. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.