Need Costambar information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Does anyone knows of any links that offer any information about costambar? Where exactly is it? How far from Puerto Plata? Good Places to stay ?

Thanks

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Costambar.

Does anyone knows of any links that offer any information about costambar? Where exactly is it? How far from Puerto Plata? Good Places to stay ?

Thanks

Costambar is located just west of Puerto Plata (A few km)
It is a "Gated" community, many retired US, Brits, Canadians, Italians. Population virtually doubles in the winter months.
Several small hotels/guest houses/apartments available. Villas Marlena (Tel.809-970-7127, Cel. 809-228-9698, ask for Nadia). Hotel Atlantico, Tel.809-970-7245.Condos Lisa, 809-970-7068.Villas Jasmin, 809-970-7010.
Several small stores, Jennies is the best, it carries virtually everything foodwise. Several good small restaurants. Easy walking to very nice shell-sand beach. Taxi service very central, also motoconchos. Short taxi ride to Cofraci (just west) where Ocean World has an incredible, spectacular dolphin/seal display, also wild animals/tigers/lions.
Hope this helps. Canadian Bob.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
great post canadian bob! Villas marlena is a good suggestion. you can also try L?ase Resort and Racquetball Club A Dominican Republic Tropical Paradise , the owner Jose is a really great guy and will help you lots.

As for places to go try Pascuals on the beach for drinks and good fried fish. for good italian there is Sole Mio Italian restaurant. For great Ribs and meatloaf there is Peque?o MUndo at atlantic one. If you want kareoke you can go to Gym Bar or Buddies Bar.

check out this site for lots of good info on Costambar:

Download Costambar Monthly

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
oh, forgot to mention that it's 10 minutes west of puerto plata on the right hand side.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
I would prefer to call Costmabr a residential community. The security is non-existant (apart from the front gate, whom let everyone in) Fine if you are staying in one of the few hotels or B&B's who have a guard service. 10 min drive west of Costambar and adjacent to Cofresi. In my view, better for long term stay, rather than a holiday unless you are renting a car and can get in and out. Nice relaxed atmosphere and a nice beach. Good restaurants. Not sure what the water content is like, considering Puerto Plata is 'upstream'.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
I would prefer to call Costmabr a residential community. The security is non-existant (apart from the front gate, whom let everyone in) Fine if you are staying in one of the few hotels or B&B's who have a guard service. 10 min drive west of Costambar and adjacent to Cofresi. In my view, better for long term stay, rather than a holiday unless you are renting a car and can get in and out. Nice relaxed atmosphere and a nice beach. Good restaurants. Not sure what the water content is like, considering Puerto Plata is 'upstream'.

WRONG! if you read closely you will see that each villa or hotel or home has their own security aka "wachiman" on duty during the evening and most have them during the day also.

in addition, they do not just let everyone in. they don't even let "outside" motoconchos in the door. starting nov. 1, if you are not a resident, you will have to leave a picture ID at the guard station and retrieve it when you leave.

now, it's not fort knocks, so there will always be a need for common sense and safety just like ANY other place in DR.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Skyblue,
Don't want to argue with you, so I will give it a test run tomorrow. Somehow, handing over my pic ID (whether my passport or cedula) to a 'guard' in Costambar is simply not going to happen. Will try to post some pics of each of the villas with a guard, if you would like me to :)
Wasn't trying to criticize the area, just remarking on my observations.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
Question.
I own 2 condos in Costambar and have paid APC fees for both. I am arriving on November 7 will I have trouble getting into Costambar? Should I contact nyone to make sure I have no problem? Please let me know.
Thanks in advance

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
BostonMary,
No problems at all. Straight in passed the gate this morning without any problems or being stopped. More motoconchos zipping around then guards. All you will need is a nice cushion for your backside for the entrance road in :)
Anyone know whats happening with the 2 villas under construction by the golf course?

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
Stayed in Costambar for a month. Security was very stricked. Each time we came to the entrance, they would make us get off the motoconchos, and get on another, who would take us inside the gate to our residence. Don't know the reason why. Loved it there, our apt. was right on the beach. The only thing, every Sunday bus loads of people would arrive early and party all day. music non stop. A couple of times we joined them on the beach. Everyone was so friendly.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I visit Costambar once a week. No-one has ever asked me for ID and they didn't this morning even though this was first time I visited after 1st. Nov. The print version of El Faro has a paid notice saying that new 'rules' come into effect November 11th. after which all visitors need to deposit cedula or driving licence at entrance gate and collect on their departure. Not sure what that will do other than cause hold ups for people leaving. Mind you there is also a news item in print version of El Faro which says the charge for parking levied by APC under previous administration is no longer permissible and the ordnance permitting APC to collect has been declared unenforceable (i.e. without effect). And same news piece says rules about leaving cedula etc at the gate are already in force, so............which to believe?

Not too many 'guards' in evidence this morning, other than 2 on the entrance gate, but that entry road is worse than before. Really is dire. :rolleyes:

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
WRONG! if you read closely you will see that each villa or hotel or home has their own security aka "wachiman" on duty during the evening and most have them during the day also.

...and yet, when I lived there my apartment was cleaned out by thieves as the "watchman" sat 3 doors down?????????:angry: :confused:

Marlie

We just bought a house in Costambar with rennovations to be completed soon. It is a wonderful community of mostly expats that has many great - athough some so small you might miss them - restaurants (Sole Mio being a particular favorite!), a nice beach to sun yourself and walk on, lots of places to buy Presidente while on the beach. We have found the people on the beach to be very friendly too. But if you are looking for loud party action, this really might not be the place. Although there is a beach bon fire party every week near where the tiny little shade huts are. Otherwise, it's pretty quiet from what we have seen.
As with anywhere, you have to use common sense and take some precautions in regards to safety. My husband and I feel perfectly comfortable walking all around the village day or night, but I would not go by myself at night, though.
Many private/rental houses are equipped with their own security systems for extra personal and property protection.
When are you going and how did you pick Costambar? Where are you staying?
ENJOY!

gibbs

May 31, 2005
We have stayed in Costambar the last four visits and have enjoyed the area alot. The last placed we stayed at was Manana Hoy #4
Manana Hoy #4
There is no wachiman at night but the managers are there always and because they are condos there are always people around (extranjeros) Has generators and water, air conditioning in the bedrooms, it's on the third floor so there was always a breeze. Plenty of great restaurants and the beach is nice except for the Sunday crowds if you don't like crowds.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
just talked to buddy in costambar and the good news is the ID check in full effect, and the bad news is that they lost his ID - how strange! the key here is to make sure you are looking at your own picture ID before you take off with someone else's!

Lakeview4us

Apr 16, 2007
Costambar - Villa Parthenon

We will be traveling to the Dominican Republic during the Thanksgiving Holiday. There will be 8 of us traveling, 4 couples. We are checking different villas to rent. Villa Parthenon seemed interesting. I checked for review but none were available.

Does anyone know anything about this Villa.

This is the first time traveling to Dominican Republic. It's our yearly family trip. I'm putting it together. Is there another area that would make for a better vacation.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.