Gun limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
Is there a limit of guns you may legally own in the Dominican Republic? I have a Berretta .9mm, .380, a Kimber 45, and a Styer-AUG ( although I was told I would not be able to bring my Styer-AUG assault rifle here ). I have noticed many persons here showing there pistols on their belts and shoved in their pants, are shoulder holsters forbidden?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
What????

Don Juan, your comment was deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
don Juan

Please do not insult West Virginia!

Fortunately for US citizens and residents, too, I think, the right to bear arms is guaranteed by the second amendement to the US Constitution. As such, and as part of a unique heritage, many people in the US have weapons of all sorts. Please do not go on a diatribe about guns. If there had been similar laws in the DR, well, let's say things would have been very different, in all probablility...

Now, for the OP, I do believe that you are limited to one weapon per person, but I could be wrong. A friend of mine has a large gun collection so I suppose that you could own multiple weapons.
Shoulder holsters are used, I used to carry like that.( Another life, folks)
When you see a weapon protruding from a waistband or pocket, you know you are face to face with a real, live a$$hole!!
(a) It is illegal to carry a visible weapon
(b) No way in hell can they get it out in a real hurry!

As a simple piece of advice, avoid places where you might see such stupid displays of machoism...

HB

Oh yeah, it costs about $200 a year to legally own a weapon....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
don Juan

Please do not insult West Virginia!

Fortunately for US citizens and residents, too, I think, the right to bear arms is guaranteed by the second amendement to the US Constitution. As such, and as part of a unique heritage, many people in the US have weapons of all sorts. Please do not go on a diatribe about guns. If there had been similar laws in the DR, well, let's say things would have been very different, in all probablility...

You are correct HB. Guns are viewed in the US quite differently than in most parts of the world. Many, many of us grew up with guns.

Our heritage of guns has less to do with hunting and target shooting, and more to do with a constant reminder to the government what they'd can expect if they choose tyranny to control the masses. IMO, in a free society, iot's a good thing for the populace to outarm the government.

I am reminded of Kennesaw GA who passed a law REQUIRING all residents to own and keep one gun. It was a subtle message to ladrones and bad guys to stay the hell away. And it worked. Add the recent "Castle Hold" laws, and some areas are MOL "red-lined" by criminals.

An armed society is a polite society.

I'm betting Texas Bill can add some stories about guns and his youth...

Sep 19, 2005
comment deleted

WOW Don Juan....real inteligent................who do most people here think is small minded, and moronic now.....

unfortunatley thats the problem with millions liberals....they hate SOMETHING so much they go off the deep end.

If you are so worried the DR will get a gun ownership mindset like america has....you are already in trouble.............

bob

May 12, 2005
Don Juan, what are you? One of those holier than thou Canadians? Why does it seem almost every thread lately has turned into some vitriolic anti-american/george bush screed? I own a few guns and I'm far from moronic and small minded. If you don't like guns, don't own one. No need to attack those who do. I'm not a hunter either, but venison does taste yummy.

To answer the original question, it's my understanding that as a citizen you can not own a handgun larger than 9mm. Also you probably won't be able to import your own guns from where you live now and yes you will need to be a resident if not a citizen. Hope that helps.

chadverizon

Apr 2, 2005
Comment deleted

Don Juan (only in your mind I'm sure), speaking as a Damn proud American who is part red neck (Father from WV), and part hill billy (Mother from NC)you can kiss my big white a__.
Lucky for you, you can hide behind the computer and spew ignorance. I'm sure in the outside world you are a little whiny, punk, who likes to talk the talk but can't walk the walk.
I've have been a resident in the DR for many years, and I'll have you know that my 9 is locked and loaded. My house is protected by Smith and Wesson. Being so well rounded as you obviously are, I assume you know our red neck slogan, "Kill them all and let God sort them out". Who do you think "them" is?
You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy.

chadverizon

Apr 2, 2005
Don Juan (only in your mind I'm sure), speaking as a Damn proud American who is part red neck (Father from WV), and part hill billy (Mother from NC)you can kiss my big white a__.
Lucky for you, you can hide behind the computer and spew ignorance. I'm sure in the outside world you are a little whiny, punk, who likes to talk the talk but can't walk the walk.
I've have been a resident in the DR for many years, and I'll have you know that my 9 is locked and loaded. My house is protected by Smith and Wesson. Being so well rounded as you obviously are, I assume you know our red neck slogan, "Kill them all and let God sort them out". Who do you think "them" is?
You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy.

True I went off the deep end, I guess if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.
I apologize if I offended anyone.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
comment deleted
As opposed to another limp-wristed, pacifist, liberal, smarter-that-everyone-else, openminded, vegan, spawn of Karl Marx?

->ponders<-

:rambo: :laugh: :ermm:

:DHmm...which would I rather be?:D

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
As opposed to another limp-wristed, pacifist, liberal, smarter-that-everyone-else, openminded, vegan, spawn of Karl Marx?

also cyclist, mason, ambidexterous pseudo-intellectual.
:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
According to Dominican Law you can have up to two hand guns and seven shotguns.
Of course, may be the law was modified since I read it, but I know for a fact that you can have several licenses, since I have already two.

Ben

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
An armed society is a polite society.

Hmmm...That must be the reason why The US has one of the highest rates of shootings of any developed countries in the world vs. Japan (lowest) where gun ownership is illegal. In the US they say I'm sorry after they shoot you...very polite.

Note: I'm not against gun ownership per se. I think a place should either completely prohibit gun ownership or completely allow it. There's no in between... In The DR it is too late to completely prohibit it...

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Alright, I apologize for the insults. I was out of line.

I live in Silver Spring, just north of the Washington,DC line. It is relatively calm around here with only a few people gunned down each week. In DC, and in nearby Baltimore, however, the situation gets much dire with hundreds of fatalities each year attributed to "gunplay".
It saddens me inmensely to read that another child was in the line of fire and became another victim of the NRA mentality. To those that think you're being protected by guns in the house, you're tragically wrong. It is stunning to count the number of accidental deaths of young children that manage to circumbent the safety measures put in place. You're most likely to be killed by carrying a gun than not. It gives a person a false sense of security thereby taking foolish risks by proclaming to be the meanest SOB in the valley. With some, not all, common sense departs and replaced by bravado, machismo, and a "make my day" attitude a-la Clint Eastwood.
I don't know but I'll find out, how many people fall victim each year to shootings in the US. It must be in the thousands! How tragic is that?

To those that think totting a gun is an absolute necessity, I envite you to compare the murder rate in US to that of Canada. Two similar nations in many, many ways, yet the amazing difference in per-capita deaths due to shootings. There's one essential difference though, one has a liberal policy on gun ownership, the other one does not.

Again I apologize for insulting West Virginians and red necks. Sometimes the birra Moretti has a strange effect on my mind. It makes me think I'm more righteous and smarter, which of course, I'm not. Just don't shoot me! he-he.:paranoid:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Hmmm...That must be the reason why The US has one of the highest rates of shootings of any developed countries in the world vs. Japan (lowest) where gun ownership is illegal. In the US they say I'm sorry after they shoot you...very polite.

Note: I'm not against gun ownership per se. I think a place should either completely prohibit gun ownership or completely allow it. There's no in between... In The DR it is too late to completely prohibit it...
How do you account for the stats from states that have enacted conceal carry permits, and "Castle Hold" laws?

You need to add the stats from both Great Britain and Australia, countries who have recently enacted and enforced draconain gun laws. What about THEIR recent "problems"?

A gun never, ever shot anything.

I suspect we'll disagree on this one.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I live in Silver Spring, just north of the Washington,DC line. It is relatively calm around here with only a few people gunned down each week. In DC, and in nearby Baltimore, however, the situation gets much dire with hundreds of fatalities each year attributed to "gunplay".
It saddens me inmensely to read that another child was in the line of fire and became another victim of the NRA mentality. To those that think you're being protected by guns in the house, you're tragically wrong. It is stunning to count the number of accidental deaths of young children that manage to circumbent the safety measures put in place. You're most likely to be killed by carrying a gun than not. It gives a person a false sense of security thereby taking foolish risks by proclaming to be the meanest SOB in the valley. With some, not all, common sense departs and replaced by bravado, machismo, and a "make my day" attitude a-la Clint Eastwood.
I don't know but I'll find out, how many people fall victim each year to shootings in the US. It must be in the thousands! How tragic is that?

To those that think totting a gun is an absolute necessity, I envite you to compare the murder rate in US to that of Canada. Two similar nations in many, many ways, yet the amazing difference in per-capita deaths due to shootings. There's one essential difference though, one has a liberal policy on gun ownership, the other one does not.

Again I apologize for insulting West Virginians and red necks. Sometimes the birra Moretti has a strange effect on my mind. It makes me think I'm more righteous and smarter, which of course, I'm not. Just don't shoot me! he-he.:paranoid:
I am "locked and loaded" to take you on WITH FACTS. Care to put some up for your many statements? Let's go!!!

And, please: what is the "NRA Mentality"? You apologize for insults, and then you go back and start slinging them around again.

CB, Proud Lifetime Member of the NRA, and Sons of the American Revolution

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
Even though Don Juan's choice of words are a bit harsh and questionable, I understand his heated and quick reaction to the threader. Why on earth would you own a Berretta .9mm, .380, a Kimber 45, and a Styer-AUG, an ASSAULT RIFFLE and BRAG about it??????
I understand the deep culture of owning guns in the US but this gear is beyond self defense. The mentioned US Constitution was referring to self defense, not an assault arsenals.
I think gun owners like wanna wherever they are from are a danger to the society. Most of those hardcore gun owners are from the US, the world champion of shootings (didn't see that written in the Constitution). I guess the purpose of the 2nd Amendment (self defense) degenerated into a severe society crisis in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.