day trip las terrenas/las galeras

yazzman13

Oct 12, 2006
sorry to be a pain..i have more questions for you helpful souls

I would like to know how easy it is to get from las terrenas to las galeras and back in a day.

I would like to go to playa rincon as i hear it is amazing but i would rather base myself in las terrenas as it seems there is more to do.

Is this wise or should i really factor some time in las galeras to make the most of the area?

thanks again

d

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I think the day trip is a great way to go.
I can't remember the exact times, but would say approx. 1 1/2 hours between the two, and the ride is most enjoyable.
Are you driving yourself, or using transport?
If it's public transport, it will take you a bit longer, of course.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Taxi -- LG to LT was 2000 RDP (~$60 USD) last Feb, one-way. Not bad if shared with another couple perhaps. I'm betting you could make a deal for a taxi all day and both ways. But a regular car-type taxi might not want to take the track to Playa Rincon. Unless it's been improved (LOL) it needs a 4WD "jeep" type or four-wheeler ATV. Alternatively a boat from Las Galeras to Playa Rincon (600 RDP per person last Feb). You might be better off renting a suitable vehicle in Las Terrenas.

Note that there are two ends to Playa Rincon. The main (West-end) beach is more "local" -- the restaurants are tents. The East-end (rincon de rincon) a bit quieter and better tended. The boat from LG (if you take it) will probably be to the East-end.

Last edited:

yazzman13

Oct 12, 2006
its all going to be public transport..im afraid..cant be bothered with hassle of renting a car...

so i presume it will take a good 2 hrs going by gua gua/pick up and a change at sanchez/samana?..will be a long day if we are going to catch a boat as well..might leave us 30 mins on the beach :)

will have to have a think about this one

thanks for the help

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
2 hours sounds about right.
Bear in mind, you will not be traveling to Sanchez for the Las Galeras trip.
There is a much shorter route on a beautifully paved new highway, that goes directly to the town of Samana, via El Portillo and passing by El Limon.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Rent an AWD jeepeta, and explore the entire peninsula. It's a natural wonder!

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
If you're using public transport, you might have difficulty getting to the Rincon beach. I have only ever seen cars, horse's and quad's there.Your best bet maybe to take a boat from Las Galeras (20 min trip). If you can, go on horse back passing Playa Colorado on the way. Simply stunning.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can easily get a Moto Concho to Playa Rincon Beach. They are waiting at the road.

egeth

Oct 24, 2005
I would recommend renting a car or plan to stay in Las Galeras for a night. I drove to Playa Rincon with a subcompact last Jan. and it's doable just have to drive painfully slow and maybe some weather conditions would prevent this. I don't know your plans or itinerary and some more experienced people might recommend differently but I find renting a car allows you to get off the beaten track and more flexibility in what you can do and where you can stay. Having said this there is little need for a car in Las Terrenas.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Rent a car in Las Terrenas

sorry to be a pain..i have more questions for you helpful souls

I would like to know how easy it is to get from las terrenas to las galeras and back in a day.

I would like to go to playa rincon as i hear it is amazing but i would rather base myself in las terrenas as it seems there is more to do.

Is this wise or should i really factor some time in las galeras to make the most of the area?

thanks again

d

Most of the people here sugest to rent a car for more flexibility and you could enjoy more the scenery of the land, if price is a factor try to get other couple to share the expense.
You could rent a Tracker or a Terio for about $60 to $65/day from one of the many rent a car places in Las Terrenas, and could fit 4 people easy on one of these jeepetas.
Explore and enjoy Samana Peninsula.
WebDev

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
More fun to rent a car

Most of the people here sugest to rent a car for more flexibility and you could enjoy more the scenery of the land, if price is a factor try to get other couple to share the expense.
You could rent a Tracker or a Terio for about $60 to $65/day from one of the many rent a car places in Las Terrenas, and could fit 4 people easy on one of these jeepetas.
WebDev
Four of us did this a couple of years ago with a Tracker and it was great. Driving was easy but bumpy here and there. No problems, a lot of fun and we had a great lunch on the beach. Leave LT as early as you can and you'll have a little time to discover Las Galeras before heading to Rincon.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are no set times. The boat owners are hanging around on the beach waiting for potential passengers at all times. I'd advise trying to set out early, before mid-morning, to make the most of the day on Rincon and to avoid the really strong sun when you're on the boat.