zip/postal code

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
i need to know does anyone know the postal code for santiago because i heard there is one and some people tell me that there is none. so does anyone know if it exists or not. hillbilly, azb anyone thank you.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Actually, for mail with no obvious value (correspondence), it isn't bad. I just got a letter from New York in about 3 weeks. It did appear to have been opened (I'm sure looking for money).
BTW cost for 1 ounce air-mail from US to DR was US$ 0.84. Probably took 1 day to get to the DR and 20 days to be delivered.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Actually, for mail with no obvious value (correspondence), it isn't bad. I just got a letter from New York in about 3 weeks. It did appear to have been opened (I'm sure looking for money).
BTW cost for 1 ounce air-mail from US to DR was US$ 0.84. Probably took 1 day to get to the DR and 20 days to be delivered.
3 post cards delivered to the Santiago "post office" took 36, 47 and <vanished> days to get to FL.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005

Received on 9 October in the Colonial Zone SD without a zip code, a letter posted in Manhattan on 2 October with a US$0.37 stamp.

Russian

Aug 27, 2004
www.partbeamsystech.com
October 9 wasyour lucky day!

Bryanell, you should have played lottery on October 9! Based on my limited experience (5 packages out of 6), FedEx "International Priority" with no value does not get delivered to door here sooner then in 7 calendar days...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
You could knock me over with a feather.
When did they start using postal codes?

Marco, officially it started in late 1990s, because it happened when I was still living in SD. 1998 or 1999, if I recall. I started using it on my correspondence then. But INPOSDOM does next to nothing to publicize the codes and promote their usage, so most people think that there are none.

Mar 2, 2008
I learned my lesson early, with post cards to family. None were received.

Now I just send a post card or two to test the waters. So far no success.
I'll keep trying periodically, but it's really just for laughs.

I have a running bet with my sister. She imagines she'll get all the post cards I've sent within a year. I say never.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Bryanell, you should have played lottery on October 9! Based on my limited experience (5 packages out of 6), FedEx "International Priority" with no value does not get delivered to door here sooner then in 7 calendar days...

That's odd, I had someone send me a UPS package from the States yesterday and it will be here this afternoon at 3.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
getting and sending mail in the DR

That's odd, I had someone send me a UPS package from the States yesterday and it will be here this afternoon at 3.

Well we all have those freaky experiences where the DR postal system actually gets us something. I made the mistake of thinking the system worked after I received a US Postal package in a mere two weeks (right after I arrived almost two years ago). I should add that in almost two years we've only received real mail 4 times.

Following my stellar first two weeks here with actual mail received once, the next time I was in the US, I sent some things to myself here...they've NEVER arrived. One was a box of 50 used paper back books and the other was one of my medical equipment kits as well as sheet music (anyone out there receive them? I'm still interested in retrieving them!) I have had cards and postcards arrive EVENTUALLY when sent here AT the post office. The average for a birthday card is about 4-6 wks. Post cards: 2-8 months (some have never arrived.) I haven't sent anything regular DR mail in over a year. If I care about it getting there, it goes to the US WITH someone and gets dropped in a mail box or if it is urgent, International FedEx.

The US IRS (Internal Revenue Service) has this stupid idea that they can communicate with us via the DR postal service (we file using our foreign address so that we can rightly claim our foreign earned income exclusion.) Last week I had one of the more frustrating experiences of trying to retrieve a piece of mail rumored to be for us (the security guard in our complex tried to give it to another gringo couple--who let us know we had mail). However, the mail was supposedly returned to the SPM post office. After ascertaining this, I treked on down to the city of SPM post office...spent an hour there while they searched. They sent me across the street to the port with the tax folks (the DR ones) because clearly I must owe something or the package/envelope (didn't know which at that time) would be in the post office;) Ha...another hour wasted looking through three months worth of incoming parcels with duty owed. Nothing...except I do know 3 other people who need to go pay them. Plus, the lovely lady tried to convince ME that I wanted to pay for them and go deliver the package (and in theory retrieve the duty I had paid)...yeah right. Many people here know they have packages and are intentionally NOT picking them up. SO, off I go to the Juan Dolio post office because that is the only other reasonable (ha, ha) possibility. Sit while the office worker checks the parcels. Nope, not there. Okay, maybe it's a letter? So she opens the desk drawer and starts pulling envelopes out that look like our youngest son brings home from school (4th grade) in his pockets. And wadda ya know? At the very back and bottom is our letter from the IRS notifying us that they've changed our 2006 tax return. OYE. I then brought it back and our security guard said "SI--eso es tu correo!"

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Nothing...except I do know 3 other people who need to go pay them. Plus, the lovely lady tried to convince ME that I wanted to pay for them and go deliver the package (and in theory retrieve the duty I had paid)...yeah right.

Thanks for the good laugh!!!! hahahhahaha

It's the typical "gringo is loaded" syndrome that so many people have here. You must live in a tourist area, right?

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Yeah...we live in Juan Dolio. I attributed it to them not wanting to have to do the work themselves but you are probably right! What shocked me most is that in the US, mail is practically sacred in terms of not touching someone else's parcels or letters. It is a Federal offense to do so!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Mail in Las Terrenas

I got a post office box in Las Terrenas. I got a notice that I had a package in Samana that I had to ?go on up over the mountain to get from customs?- Didn?t know if it was books for the children?s library or a Christmas present from my sister but roped in my friend who was starting the library and then .......... the Dominican who was running the post office looked at us and then looked back at the took big sacks of mail all neatly tied up in those official canvas sacks, must have been postcards from all of the tourists back to 2002 -- and looked at us and said_ " As long as you are going to Samana would you mind taking the mail?"

We were two Americans, and so pictured ourselves spending the rest of our lives in jail over this one..,,,, but we really almost peed ourselves laughing over it....