A thief bites the dust. street justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Lets start from the beginning.
Around my clinic area (calle 30 de marzo, santiago) a thief used to terrorize all the car owners who parked on Av. independencia. The street is tight and often deserted around noon time when the sun is at it's peek, punishing the people below. This was the time for the thieft to work the streets. He used to open up trunks of the cars and steal items from inside, steal radios and car batteries. This guy was simply a pain in the a$$. He got me 2 times, but I got lucky as he didn't break my door / trunk locks. He, some how, has some lock picking knowledge or holds a master key of some sort. He would open up cars clean and steal everything from inside.

I was afraid to leave my car on the streets so I often went home at around noon time.

Now we fast forward to present time.

I have just been informed that the same thief was working another area, apparently watching some rich business man's movement. Then one day he opened up his trunk of the car and stole a briefcase with some serious cash inside. To the thief's misfortune, he simply messed with the wrong guy. The man tracked the thief down, and paid him a little visit. Seems like the thief was found with a bullet in his head, dead. People say he was found stealing a car when a watchman put him to rest. I don't know the real story but we all know, he stole some cash from a rich & powerful man who didn't let it go as we did. Some how, after that robbery, the theif was found dead. This happend some time ago, so its not really a fresh new story in santiago.

Now my car is safe on Av. Independencia.

Here is another story.

There were some thieves who used to work my residential area. The guys used to jump the wall and come to the backyard, steal whatever they could find laying around outside ex: waterhose, clothes hanging to dry, garden tools etc. Then they would jump over to the next neighbor and steal whatever they could find there, including opening up cars and stealing things from inside.

Then one day they made the mistake of robbing the house of my next door neighbor who is a dangerous looking dominican york (now long gone back to NY). They stole his clothes from outside and then broke open his trunk and stole his laptop and even his shoes that he left outside to dry.
The man was furious and came to me to ask some questions. I told him that I was also robbed and thats how they jumped into his house from my backyard. He promised me that he will get them back. He said he would go to barrio and pay reward for their identity info. A week later, I saw a house burn down in the callejon, behind my house. This small street where squatters built shacks, temp houses to house the maids and their family who worked in the neighborhood. Seems like some tigres had moved in there who were robbing houses. The whole house burnt down, along with a few others. The tigre were beaten up by the people and thrown out for good. Now people have built new permanent houses there and we are all safe again.
AZB

Last edited by a moderator:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Its "bites" the dust. Anyway the story about the rich businessman leaving his briefcase with serious money inside, not a very bright move.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Wow. This sound's like one of those Jean Claude VAn Dame Movies. Maybe they should make a movie of this. A mob gets his belongings stolen and goes and burns down a barrio.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Its "bites" the dust. Anyway the story about the rich businessman leaving his briefcase with serious money inside, not a very bright move.

I know its bites the dust, not bits. What happened was that "e" didn't get typed in and later I was unable to go back and correct the heading.
Thanks for giving me a break, Mr. spelling police.
AZB

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I know its bites the dust, not bits. What happened was that "e" didn't get typed in and later I was unable to go back and correct the heading.
Thanks for giving me a break, Mr. spelling police.
AZB

Break granted, no ticket this time. lol:cheeky:
But let me ask you, would you leave a briefcase with mucho money in your trunk???

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I wouldn't but there are people who would. I guess the thief made the wrong decision as well. This time he put his hands where they didn't belong. He paid the price with his life. maybe thats why the man left his money in the trunk, because he knew that people knew who he was, too bad for the ladron, he didn't.
AZB

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, not as dramatic as the stories told by AZB, but since this is a recent video (Oct 20) of a thief of cellular phones getting "street justice".

This happened in Santo Domingo East somewhere along the Charles DeGaulle.

Many of the people hit the guy, while others screams various things such as "you need to work like everybody else" among other things.

Just click and watch.... this is what "street justice" looks like....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cn07OeDChq8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cn07OeDChq8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

-NALs

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
strange

Why would the firts thief keep on stealing after getting so much cash out of a suitcase. Unless the guy was a serious kleptomaniac, i don't get it.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Now that we've got that out of our systems, what's the unemployment rate in the DR?
Some would say there is a larger tutumpote who is a bigger ladron. IMHO.
Who will kick him for stealing the future of the Dominican people?
Just wondering.
mkohn

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well, not as dramatic as the stories told by AZB, but since this is a recent video (Oct 20) of a thief of cellular phones getting "street justice".
Thanks for the clip.
A thief might think twice before stealing again, after viewing it.
They should show clips like that instead of commercials on TV, during the "novelas".

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
OMG!! That video was terrible!!! It's a God damn CELL PHONE!! Are you joking?? I could understand if he was a child molester or something, then maybe, just maybe this kind of savagery would be justified. He's clearly very young. And I would assume the only reason why he wasn't being beaten more was because he wasn't moving, because as soon as he started to move did people again starting beating him. From what I saw, it looked like he was crying, and if I'm not mistaken, he's a teenager.
Served right?? IT'S A CELLPHONE/S!!! I understand people are upset, but are you serious?? This is disgusting!! Would these crazy people have killed him over a CELL PHONE/S??!?
Let's say he was a seasoned thief, do people actually think that all of a sudden he would straighten out and never steal again in his life because they decided to act like a bunch of crazy people?? If people believe that, they're dumb.
I just have to say that I felt sorry for that poor child who clearly did not place anyone's life in danger. It seems that his life was in danger by that crazy mob of people.
I don't understand Spanish, but I have read some of the responses and saw what a few other people said what the crowd was saying.
"Let's just kill him"?!?!?! - again i reiterate, FOR CELLPHONES????
This apparent "street justice" is sick and disgusting. I am not against people being responsible for their actions (such as stealing), but I am against people all of a sudden morphing out of human beings and trying to beat someone to death over a cell phone. On top of that, someone who is clearly terrified and clearly just wanting to get away from these crazy "human beings" and put himself out of harm's way.
Sick.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I think the theif in Nal's video got off easy considering that he got up at one point. I figured that would bring a good old fashioned ass whopping from the crowd.

I have no sympathy for him. Someone tried to steal my cellphone one day in SD but only suceeded in knocking it from my hand to the ground before he fled on his pasola. Plenty of Dominicans came to my aid and one tried to knock him off the pasola with a broomstick as he fled. I have a feeling that if he has been knocked off his pasola by that old man, he would have gotten much worse of a beating from the good people who came to my aid than the guy in the video recieved.

Larry

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Some "businessmen" have, shall we say a certain reputation, and depend on that to protect their goods. They dont take extraordinary precautions because they are making a very clear statement: I am a powerful guy; you dont really want to screw with me; so I can leave my stuff here and I know when I return it will still be there -- and if not, then you are a dead man.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Truth is he got off lightly, and i have seen these street courts time and again here during the 12 years I have been here. Most of the time the beatings are light. Recently though the vigilante crowds have gotten out of control. I saw one video on TV where some guy kept running the thief over with his yipeta. TK you may think it is excessive but you have no idea how bad things have gotten here, and people are just fed up.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
OMG!! That video was terrible!!! It's a God damn CELL PHONE!! Are you joking?? I could understand if he was a child molester or something, then maybe, just maybe this kind of savagery would be justified. He's clearly very young. And I would assume the only reason why he wasn't being beaten more was because he wasn't moving, because as soon as he started to move did people again starting beating him. From what I saw, it looked like he was crying, and if I'm not mistaken, he's a teenager.
Served right?? IT'S A CELLPHONE/S!!! I understand people are upset, but are you serious?? This is disgusting!! Would these crazy people have killed him over a CELL PHONE/S??!?
Let's say he was a seasoned thief, do people actually think that all of a sudden he would straighten out and never steal again in his life because they decided to act like a bunch of crazy people?? If people believe that, they're dumb.
I just have to say that I felt sorry for that poor child who clearly did not place anyone's life in danger. It seems that his life was in danger by that crazy mob of people.
I don't understand Spanish, but I have read some of the responses and saw what a few other people said what the crowd was saying.
"Let's just kill him"?!?!?! - again i reiterate, FOR CELLPHONES????
This apparent "street justice" is sick and disgusting. I am not against people being responsible for their actions (such as stealing), but I am against people all of a sudden morphing out of human beings and trying to beat someone to death over a cell phone. On top of that, someone who is clearly terrified and clearly just wanting to get away from these crazy "human beings" and put himself out of harm's way.
Sick.
That's how it starts.... today he's a cell phone thief... tomorrow auto theif.... who knows, he might skip going up the latter and simply become a cell phone theif become murderer.

You know, a young girl was shot to death in Santiago earlier this year and you want to know why? Because a group of young thieves wanted to snatch her cell phone off her hands.

What happened when she refused? They fatally shot her, took her phone, and sold it for RD$500!!!! Were the young thief starving? Unable to find a job? Etc? Ah, nope. According to all reports at that time, they simply went out searching for their next victim and she happened to be next.

All of that for a cell phone.

That guy on the video deserved what he got. At least he's not a murderer, but since they are killing people for cell phones nowadays, who knows what he might had done before......

He could learn from that experience and get a job rather than steal or he could simply move up the ranks of crime and get listed on the La Victoria jail trail.

-NALs

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
OMG!! That video was terrible!!! It's a God damn CELL PHONE!! Are you joking??
I think it's great that you are compassionate.
There are too many cold unfeeling people in this world.
But you forgot something.
You forgot to put yourself in the victim's shoes.
What if it had been you?
What if it had been your daughter?
What if it was your mother, and the crook had stabbed here, knocked her over and broke her hip?
Would you still be singing the same tune?

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
I think it's great that you are compassionate.
There are too many cold unfeeling people in this world.
But you forgot something.
You forgot to put yourself in the victim's shoes.
What if it had been you?
What if it had been your daughter?
What if it was your mother, and the crook had stabbed here, knocked her over and broke her hip?
Would you still be singing the same tune?

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

I get what you and everyone else are saying about crime, but now I have put myself in the victims's shoes and if it was me on the street and that kid tried to steal my cell phone, I still do not believe that I would want to see that horrific site on the street. I think that I would even try to go to his aid even though he tried to steal my cell phone (provided my safety would not be at risk by the crazy mob) Did he stab someone?? I don't think anyone specified that, but if he did, then maybe the story would be different, but to me it doesn't change the fact that the people in the crowd were acting like animals.
As well, if that were me and my cell phone was stolen and let's say I was stabbed, I think I would want someone to call an ambulance and try to save my life before they attacked the person in the street. Or maybe even call the police. (Unless the police are known to not be active in these cases)
If it was my mother that was attacked and she broke her hip, I would be very angry, but my first priority would be my mother and her health, not the thief.
Again, I understand what everyone is saying, but while I was watching that video, my hand was over my mouth the whole time and what was going through my mind was why this child was being abused and how a crowd of human beings could become animals.
I'm sorry, but I did not think that was acceptable behaviour and couldn't help but feel sympathy for this kid

Status
Not open for further replies.