Marriage Certificates

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
I'm not sure if this is the right section for this but i just have a quick question. I got married 13 months ago in Santo Domingo. I'm Canadian and my husband is Dominican. (living in Dominican still.) After we got married (the following day) we got our "Extracto De Acta" and our "Certificado de Matrimonio". So i came home to Canada, got the documents translated into English (by a certified translator) and went out and changed all of my id into my new married name. I have not done anything else with the marriage certificates. Is that all I need to do? Is it really that easy? I was speaking to someone in the Dominican Services office in Toronto and they said that i should get the marriage certificate "Legalized" but it's not mandatory. I was just wondering if anyone knows if i'm missing something. If i should be doing something more with my certficates. And, what is the point of getting the certificate legalized? what does that mean exactly??
Thanks so much for any info anyone may have!!!

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
I don't believe you need to have it legalized. But to have it translated yes.. Keep a photocopy of the original and you can give back the original one to your husband, as he just might need it further down the road. (if we are talking about Sponsering papers)
Not sure why you changed your name though because in Canada it is no longer mandatory since 20 years ago.

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
What do you mean, not sure why i changed my name? Isn't that normal? You get married and assume your husbands name. I know we're in the 20th century, but i believe that women are still doing that if i'm not mistaken. And have been for the last 20 years still..........

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
Not any of my friends did changed their names. They all have kept their birth names.. I thought it was a Canadian thing but I guess it may as well be only a Quebec thing !

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
I changed my name to my husbands name...(he's Dominican), and I'm Cdn, so maybe it's a Quebec thing?!?!

I did the same thing, and nothing else was required, never leagaized the marriage certificate. And everything here in Cda is changed, Passport, Drivers Liscense, SIN, Bank stuff, Work and this year will be the first year I'll be filing my taxes in my married name.

Lisa

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Not any of my friends did changed their names. They all have kept their birth names.. I thought it was a Canadian thing but I guess it may as well be only a Quebec thing !

In Quebec, you cannot change your name since June 1989(not 100% sure if this is the exact date) except for those married before that date.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
What is the difference between extracto de acta and certificado de matrimonio?

Extracto should be a copy which reproduces in their entirety the statements of the act.
Certificado should be a certificate and sets the spouses name, place of marriage, date..

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The reason for "legalizing" is so that the document in question is in fact registered in the country it is legalized.

Without such legalization the only way to prove the act is with you copy of the document and if you should lose it then you are required to go back to where the document orginated for another copy. Most of us know how the Dominican Republic keeps their records.

With a "legalized" document the act is on record in the country it was legalized and to acquire a copy only requires going to where the copy is recorded and acquiring another copy.

Rick