Ocean World, Good Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midsmikeuk

Oct 5, 2006
Hi all, am visiting in January with partner and 2 kids. Have looked at Ocean World web page indicates $55 admision for adults and $40 for kids. Don't want to appear tight with my money but is it worth this price? Your impartial advice is welcome, although I guess the kids will expect to go anyhow!

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
Absolutely worth it!!!

i just went a few weeks ago and i LOVED it!!! worth the money and it includes buffet lunch with all the options you can imagine.

ocean world is very interactive and your children will enjoy!!!

Moxie

Dec 9, 2005
Yes, yes, yes

We visited last March. Our daughter did the dolpin swim and it was a fantastic experience. My husband & I regret not doing the swim ourselves at the time & would definitely do so on our next visit. Even so, the park was lovely, clean, not crowed, and, as mentioned earlier, the buffet lunch was great. Go for it!!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
FYI, the price of admission includes round trip bus transportation from nearby hotels (small surcharges apply from Sosua, Cabarete, Rio San Juan, and Luperon), snorkelling in the Tropical Reef Pool (equipment included), lunch buffet (only until December 31st though), dolphin shows, sea lion shows, bird shows, tiger grotto, beach/swimming area, and rainforest exhibit.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Conchman,
It seems that your marketing slogan, " A once in a lifetime experience", may not be exactly true. I've met many people who were so impressed with the experience, they are returning for a second or third experience.

Drugdog

Mar 28, 2003
What changes on New Years?

Conchman,

What changes are you going through after the 1st of the year? You brought up the included lunch, any other changes?

PS: Check out the Flowrider video. You can buy direct from them now. You could have the first in the DR.

Kevin

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
Conchman,
It seems that your marketing slogan, " A once in a lifetime experience", may not be exactly true. I've met many people who were so impressed with the experience, they are returning for a second or third experience.

I just did my third trip there. First time for family members, and they loved it as well.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Conchman,

What changes are you going through after the 1st of the year? You brought up the included lunch, any other changes?

PS: Check out the Flowrider video. You can buy direct from them now. You could have the first in the DR.

Kevin

Since Ocean World has added the new dolphin show in the new (or rather refurbished) stadium, and a bird show by the tiger pool, it has been decided to take out the lunch from the price of admission and charge separate for this. We will continue to offer the same lunch buffet, but at US$12 including tax. The Bella Vista Cafe will offer hamburgers, hot dogs, and pizza.

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
Since Ocean World has added the new dolphin show in the new (or rather refurbished) stadium, and a bird show by the tiger pool, it has been decided to take out the lunch from the price of admission and charge separate for this. We will continue to offer the same lunch buffet, but at US$12 including tax. The Bella Vista Cafe will offer hamburgers, hot dogs, and pizza.

The bird show by the Tiger grotto is great. The Parrot doing the bullfighting routine is hillarious.

Will the admission price be reduced due to lunch no longer being included? I ask this as in the 3 times I've been, nothing really appealed to me anyway. I always found the buffet at Ocean world to be the one low point in the day. Sorry, but it's certainly not worth $12.

suereeko

Nov 3, 2006
jusr been this week and its a MUST. fantastic day out,worth every dollar.i did dolphin encounter and my partner did the dolphin swim with the shark and stingray encounter. took him 2 days to get over the buzz. if you do the encounter or swim can i suggest you do it in 2 sessions, that way you can take some great photos of each other, rather than relying on the expensive (but excellent) professionals, as you are allowed in to view if you are with someone who is doing the activity. Would recommend it to anyone who is visiting that area. Lockers are provided so you can leave suff safely and they are FOC. If you dont want to carry too much money on you, they do offer a next day delivery service to your hotel. if you spend over $30 they will arrange COD for you (we were in Luperon and they arranged for the transfer rep to collect money on our return to hotel due to it being so far away from Ocean World).

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The bird show by the Tiger grotto is great. The Parrot doing the bullfighting routine is hillarious.

Will the admission price be reduced due to lunch no longer being included? I ask this as in the 3 times I've been, nothing really appealed to me anyway. I always found the buffet at Ocean world to be the one low point in the day. Sorry, but it's certainly not worth $12.

Thats strange because we get many people congratulating us, that the food is better than in their hotel.

The price will stay the same because we have added the dolphin show in the new stadium and the bird show over the last few months, in lieu of taking the lunch out.

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
Thats strange because we get many people congratulating us, that the food is better than in their hotel.

The price will stay the same because we have added the dolphin show in the new stadium and the bird show over the last few months, in lieu of taking the lunch out.

I don't know what hotels they're staying at, but not at the ones I've been to. Even the Viva Tangerine in Cabarete (lackluster food) was better. The wife and the rest of my family also commented on the food on our visit a couple of weeks ago - it was food, but we were glad we wern't paying for it.

Lunch provided or not, we'll still be back. The canteen there has a nice selection of snacks to get us through the day anyhow. The fact I'm not really into Ocean World's food is but a small negative in a day of positives. Hardly registers on the radar.

Thanks to Ambra and Tania in the back offices there, they even got me hooked on the dolphins like the wife. Now that the wife has done *3* encounters and I have done 1, the next time we'll have to do the swim. What an experience. Certainly not a once in a lifetime one tho - It gets you almost to the point of obsession dreaming of doing it again.

It really is a great day, even though we blew a heck of a lot of money the last time - even bought the DVD video of the dolphin encounter. (A bit expensive, but will be fondly remembered)

Too bad there's no referral program - I can't help but to gush about how great a time I have there whenever it's mentioned. ;) Ocean World is part of our twice a year trip down there now... Here's to trip #4 next April...

darwenlass

Oct 2, 2006
ocean world

hello,
could you do the dolphin encounter in the morning and the sealions in the afternoon?????
it might seem a silly question but me (not dad) will be doing both, one with a different child, one wants to do the sealion the other the dolphin. he wants me to do the sharks as well as im the better swimmer of the two parents.
do you only pay one admission fee and do both encounters???
thanks in advance

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
yes, if you book far enough in advance you can do one program in the morning and the other in the afternoon. If you pre-book all programs you only pay one admission fee at reduced price (basically $25) = sea lion/dolphin encounter combo is US$130 per person which includes the admission fee and discount for doing multiple programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.