Importing From Canada

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
We are coming to the North coast to our villa for 1 month in mid Dec 2006 and was wondering if it made any sense to bring a few things we want from Canada, or just buy them from Plasa Nelson in POP or Plasa Lama in Santiago.
We want to bring a 14 ' trampoline, a high quality portable air conditioner and a bbq. If anyone knows the price of trampoline and a bbq in the DR, please inform me. We already have the air conditioner. Any info regarding duty/tax/shipping etc would be great!
Thanks
Steve

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
We are coming to the North coast to our villa for 1 month in mid Dec 2006 and was wondering if it made any sense to bring a few things we want from Canada, or just buy them from Plasa Nelson in POP or Plasa Lama in Santiago.
We want to bring a 14 ' trampoline, a high quality portable air conditioner and a bbq. If anyone knows the price of trampoline and a bbq in the DR, please inform me. We already have the air conditioner. Any info regarding duty/tax/shipping etc would be great!
Thanks
Steve

Steve: I am no expert by any means but we moved from Canada earlier this year. All of my research told me to sell everything in Canada and buy down here. Yes prices are a little more on some items but when you take into the equation the cost of shippng, duty, pain in the butt factors etc, I think you are better off buying here. Was told to expect to pay 20-40% more here for the same item you can buy back in Canada. In reality I think costs here for us Canadians are about 5-10% more (for americans the spread is greater since they don't have the 15% tax on everything). Went back to Canada for a couple weeks in September and compared prices on some of the things we bought down here - was pleasently surprised at how comparible the prices were and for somethings they were actually cheaper here. Just my 2 pesos worth...tom