choice on back up power

Sep 19, 2005
I want to add more electrical back up to my GFs family house....It seems the last few visits , that the electricity stays off longer than it had in the past. As a result the 2 batteries they have dont get a chance to fully recharge. Thus the batteries fade, before the electricity comes back on. The system is only a 1,000 watt invertor and it is used with 2 deep cycle batteries. the batteries are only 5 months old.

I happened to see a few generators for sale in my travels down there...and they are not very exspensive........so I was contemplating wether I should add 2 more batteries, or buy a gas powered 2-3,000 watt generator .

The generator would just be used for the main lights and outlets......it wouldnt be an automatic system... and probably would be used with extension cords to run things in those periods that the batteries didnt get a chance to fully charge.
I figure the electrical connections to tie the generator into the fuse panel would cost more than the generator( so I am not leaning that way).. I saw a few for about 9-11,000 pesos.

for the people living there......would the extra set of batteries allow for longer periods of power , even with the little recharge time.....or would I just have 4 batteries that didnt have enough time to recharge...and be at the same point anyway.......

If I bought the batteries, Id probably go with a bigger invertor, to possibly run the refridgerator....now they fridge isnt wired into the invertor circiut.

So either way i am close to the same costs...which isnt the issue..

i cant ask the father he doesnt speak enough english...and my technical spanish is bad... and my GF thinks I dont need to buy anything for the house.....

and the father, would hestitate to help...because he doesnt want it too look like he is asking for something.......I know he appreciates what I do for the house...after the fact...........

so I ask here...and i know i will get some good advice.......

wether I can put up with the wise cracks about my question is another story..............

I know i got some good help when i wired the shower heater............

thanks

bob

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There are many ways to look at the situation, but, ultimately, the best solution is to have a generator to back up the inverter.
Once the batteries go down and you start the generator, it can supply the batteries with a bit of a charge, and the other 110 phase could run the fridge.
Hard wiring it in is definitely the way to go, and does not cost any money worth talking about.
One blade switch (machete), some wire and a bit of savy.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
wether I can put up with the wise cracks about my question is another story..............
You are freely choosing to help out and do nice things.
This seems normal to me.:cool:

Some people may assume you are being used and manipulated but just consider the sources of such crap and don't worry about it.
I get the impression that people like this are just trying to convince themselves that they are not insensitive and extremely cheap.:tired:

A

apostropheman

in santo domingo where would be the best options to purchase batteries?

trace or xantrex being the best batteries i assume:bunny:

A

apostropheman

thanks.

have a 3000 watt invertor but no batteries.

i'm thinking 4 batteries to start, for a couple of lights, a ceiling fan, computer and perhaps the fridge.

would 4 do to start?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
thanks.

have a 3000 watt invertor but no batteries.

i'm thinking 4 batteries to start, for a couple of lights, a ceiling fan, computer and perhaps the fridge.

would 4 do to start?
"Perhpas" the fridge, is a huge "perhaps".
If you run a couple of efficiency bulbs, a ceiling fan and a PC on 4 batteries, you might last 2 days.
If you run an inefficient fridge, like a botellero, you could use them up in 2 hours.
You really have to make the refrigerator decision first.
Personally, I think you can do without.
For the wear and tear it puts on both the inverter and the batteries, and the additional electrical costs, it might be better to just buy some ice on occasion, when the power failures are lengthy.

A

apostropheman

re: fridge

it seems to do just fine without power now as the outages are normally only about 3 hours at a time, twice a day.

i'd prefer to add a stereo and TV instead anyway and only one would "normally" be used at a time but the computer would "always" be on.

could we get by with only 2 batteries without the fridge on the system?

there is also a smaller gas generator, not sure of capacity, but it might also be worth getting hardwired by the sounds of things.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
re: fridge

it seems to do just fine without power now as the outages are normally only about 3 hours at a time, twice a day.

i'd prefer to add a stereo and TV instead anyway and only one would "normally" be used at a time but the computer would "always" be on.

there is also a smaller gas generator, not sure of capacity, but it might also be worth getting hardwired by the sounds of things.
You can go a long way with 4 batteries, if there's no fridge in the deal.
If the power failures were really lengthy, then a generator might be needed, but in your case of 3 hour power failures twice a day, you should be laughing with the 3K inverter with 4 batteries.

PS: Yes you could try with 2 batteries first.
If it isn't enough, buy 2 more.

A

apostropheman

thanks rocky!

we'll skip the generator for now and try 2 batteries and see. it's easy enough to add more and they might not be requried.

i looked at plaza lama in SD and they wanted about 3000 pesos per battery...for xantrex if i recall correctly so if 2 batteries will do...all the better

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
thanks rocky!

we'll skip the generator for now and try 2 batteries and see. it's easy enough to add more and they might not be requried.

i looked at plaza lama in SD and they wanted about 3000 pesos per battery...for xantrex if i recall correctly so if 2 batteries will do...all the better
Who knows?
Maybe they've started making batteries, but, one way or another, 3,000 pez is about right for good batteries.

A

apostropheman

Who knows?
Maybe they've started making batteries, but, one way or another, 3,000 pez is about right for good batteries.
not sure who made them but that was the brand name i'm pretty sure.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I happened to see a few generators for sale in my travels down there...and they are not very exspensive........so I was contemplating wether I should add 2 more batteries, or buy a gas powered 2-3,000 watt generator.
thanks

bob

My choice would be the generator. You'll be able to live through longer outages and can always add batteries later.

Sep 19, 2005
along the lines of buying a generator.....I wonder if anyone over in the DR has seen for sale or knows where to buy sound proofing foam. the kind that looks like an egg carton....and used it recording studios. i for one wouldnt want to listen to the generator for hours on end.....I know hwere my gf gets her hair done they use a generator to make sure they can power the mega watt blow dryers. And it sucks listening to that.

So i figures Ill just build a box to drop on top and just allow the exhaust to vent. I dont think I would make it permanent, because it would have to stay outside, and be a target for getting stolen...so when nmot in use they need to wheel the generator inside the house... so they would have to be able to lift the box off.

anyway...if you know where any of that sound proofing foam can be bought let me know...

I was leaning to the generator, but wanted to hear if anyone thought the extra set of batteries could last longer even with the short recharge time......

now to see if I can find a decent brand in my price range......instead of the no names I had seen........

is there a feature I should make sure my generator has?

thanks

bob

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
along the lines of buying a generator.....I wonder if anyone over in the DR has seen for sale or knows where to buy sound proofing foam. the kind that looks like an egg carton....and used it recording studios. i for one wouldnt want to listen to the generator for hours on end.....I know hwere my gf gets her hair done they use a generator to make sure they can power the mega watt blow dryers. And it sucks listening to that.

So i figures Ill just build a box to drop on top and just allow the exhaust to vent. I dont think I would make it permanent, because it would have to stay outside, and be a target for getting stolen...so when nmot in use they need to wheel the generator inside the house... so they would have to be able to lift the box off.

anyway...if you know where any of that sound proofing foam can be bought let me know...

I was leaning to the generator, but wanted to hear if anyone thought the extra set of batteries could last longer even with the short recharge time......

now to see if I can find a decent brand in my price range......instead of the no names I had seen........

is there a feature I should make sure my generator has?

thanks

bob

I have been looking for soundproofing foam too and am told that 3M in SD sells it for @700 rd/plancha. Also they tell me it is double sided and can be split down the middle to make two planchas out of one.

This is second hand info and i have not tried to verify it yet.

You are aware though that this foam is mainly used to limit reverb and not so much for soundproofing something as loud as a generator, right?

Also if you are using an air-cooled generator , you are going to need to pay pretty close attention to the amount of ventilation it is getting and this is going to seriously limit your sound-proofing options.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey Bob,
Soundproofing material such as styrofoam, is ultra expensive in the DR, but you hit the nail on the head.
Egg crates!
A bit hard to find, believe it or not, but they are available, and I think they sound proof even better than styrofoam.
I've done it a few times, and you'll be astounded at the results.
We can talk later about the "house" you will build for the generator, but I can say that nobody wants to wheel a generator in & out each time there's a power failure.
You need to find another solution, that it can stay in place.
The 10,000 pesos units, if there are any at that price, are going to be pieces of junk, that will make a hell of a racket, not live up to their ratings, and won't last long like good brands.
Nevertheless, if that's the budget and the best option, then that it is.
If I may, I'll suggest another avenue.
Honda makes a 1k silent generator.
It's portable like a small thick briefcase.
It's so quiet you'll be astonished.
It is expensive to purchase, but cheaper in the long run.
1) super cheap to operate.
2) Super silent
3) Super portable
4) Super long lasting.

What can it do for you?
You keep the status quo, except that you buy a battery charger, run the Honda once a day for an hour or two (if need be), keep your batteries up, and, voila, problem solved.
We have DR1 friends who lived in the country, off the grid, who used solar panels, and did the rest with the very same unit we are talking about.
It's a little dream machine and will do the trick.
The bad news?
Expensive.
I've heard prices of $600 US to $800 US.
Going to Google it up now and get back to you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They are now selling propane gas units here in the DR.

Way back when, I had a little coop out back. I put a 5.5 kva genset in it and ran lines to mymain junction box. Put in a blade switch (machete) and a light bulb and a small door bell.

Lights went out:
1) Pull the machete switch
2) Go out back and either push the starter button or pulled once on the cord and started it up. Wait a sec or two, flipped the power switch and voilá! LUZ!

3) It was not a silent model but it did not ever keep me awake...

FYI: Not enough to power fridges or irons or hot water heaters. enough for TV and lights for a huge house....
4) Bell rings or light goes on, throw the switch back and go and shut off power.

NOTE: you have to be sure that everything from the genset goes to that switch and that every circuit inthe house is on that junction box. Elsewise, you might end up trying to light up the neighborhood!

RE: 3 KW Inverter in Santo Domingo--I think I would get 8 batteries! That is a big inverter and can carry a lot of things for a goodly time. Remember how Sofy (RIP!!) told us how she kept her freezers going after Georges?? with a 2.5 inverter and 8 batteries..??/

FWIW,

HB

Sep 19, 2005
thanks marco....my closest dealer sells the 1K for $700 even and $1,000 for the 2K....I doubt I could bring it in without having to pay someone somewhere....and it really is out of the budgeted amount to throw at this problem.......funny thing is ,...Its a problem for me... they are used to it....its life...they dont blink an eye...oh we dont have power....oh well

so i wouldnt throw a thousand bucks at a problem that "isnt a problem to them"

but i would throw 400 or so....just to make me happy......( yeah i am selfish) ha ha ha

I also realize that the generator would need circulation.. just leaning a piece of ply wood against the thing and putting is 30 feet from the house would cut half the irritatiing noise ...so a "cover" that drops over the top...has to help more....

if the generator lasts 2 years....it served its purpose to me for the money.......

and I am leery of no name stuff

who has small generators....????? and how have they been?

Bob

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You can pick up cheapo generators in most hardware stores, department stores, PriceSmart, etc.
Do NOT buy Coleman.
It gives a whole new meaning to disposable.
If you do buy a cheapo, get in touch.
I have a zillion soundproofing ideas.