Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default choice on back up power

I want to add more electrical back up to my GFs family house....It seems the last few visits , that the electricity stays off longer than it had in the past. As a result the 2 batteries they have dont get a chance to fully recharge. Thus the batteries fade, before the electricity comes back on. The system is only a 1,000 watt invertor and it is used with 2 deep cycle batteries. the batteries are only 5 months old.

I happened to see a few generators for sale in my travels down there...and they are not very exspensive........so I was contemplating wether I should add 2 more batteries, or buy a gas powered 2-3,000 watt generator .

The generator would just be used for the main lights and outlets......it wouldnt be an automatic system... and probably would be used with extension cords to run things in those periods that the batteries didnt get a chance to fully charge.
    I figure the electrical connections to tie the generator into the fuse panel would cost more than the generator( so I am not leaning that way).. I saw a few for about 9-11,000 pesos.

for the people living there......would the extra set of batteries allow for longer periods of power , even with the little recharge time.....or would I just have 4 batteries that didnt have enough time to recharge...and be at the same point anyway.......

If I bought the batteries, Id probably go with a bigger invertor, to possibly run the refridgerator....now they fridge isnt wired into the invertor circiut.

So either way i am close to the same costs...which isnt the issue..

i cant ask the father he doesnt speak enough english...and my technical spanish is bad... and my GF thinks I dont need to buy anything for the house.....

and the father, would hestitate to help...because he doesnt want it too look like he is asking for something.......I know he appreciates what I do for the house...after the fact...........

so I ask here...and i know i will get some good advice.......

wether I can put up with the wise cracks about my question is another story..............

I know i got some good help when i wired the shower heater............

thanks

bob

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

There are many ways to look at the situation, but, ultimately, the best solution is to have a generator to back up the inverter.
    Once the batteries go down and you start the generator, it can supply the batteries with a bit of a charge, and the other 110 phase could run the fridge.
    Hard wiring it in is definitely the way to go, and does not cost any money worth talking about.
    One blade switch (machete), some wire and a bit of savy.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by laurapasinifan View Post
    wether I can put up with the wise cracks about my question is another story..............
    You are freely choosing to help out and do nice things.
    This seems normal to me.

Some people may assume you are being used and manipulated but just consider the sources of such crap and don't worry about it.
    I get the impression that people like this are just trying to convince themselves that they are not insensitive and extremely cheap.

apostropheman

Question

in santo domingo where would be the best options to purchase batteries?

trace or xantrex being the best batteries i assume

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apostropheman View Post
    trace or xantrex being the best batteries i assume
    Trace/Xantrex don't actually make batteries, although there are batteries sold under the Trace name.
    Some of the Santo Domingo members will surely have suggestions as to where and which to buy.

apostropheman

thanks.

have a 3000 watt invertor but no batteries.

i'm thinking 4 batteries to start, for a couple of lights, a ceiling fan, computer and perhaps the fridge.

would 4 do to start?

Post Thanks / Like

thanks.

have a 3000 watt invertor but no batteries.

i'm thinking 4 batteries to start, for a couple of lights, a ceiling fan, computer and perhaps the fridge.

would 4 do to start?
    "Perhpas" the fridge, is a huge "perhaps".
    If you run a couple of efficiency bulbs, a ceiling fan and a PC on 4 batteries, you might last 2 days.
    If you run an inefficient fridge, like a botellero, you could use them up in 2 hours.
    You really have to make the refrigerator decision first.
    Personally, I think you can do without.
    For the wear and tear it puts on both the inverter and the batteries, and the additional electrical costs, it might be better to just buy some ice on occasion, when the power failures are lengthy.

apostropheman

re: fridge

it seems to do just fine without power now as the outages are normally only about 3 hours at a time, twice a day.

i'd prefer to add a stereo and TV instead anyway and only one would "normally" be used at a time but the computer would "always" be on.

could we get by with only 2 batteries without the fridge on the system?

there is also a smaller gas generator, not sure of capacity, but it might also be worth getting hardwired by the sounds of things.

Post Thanks / Like

re: fridge

it seems to do just fine without power now as the outages are normally only about 3 hours at a time, twice a day.

i'd prefer to add a stereo and TV instead anyway and only one would "normally" be used at a time but the computer would "always" be on.

there is also a smaller gas generator, not sure of capacity, but it might also be worth getting hardwired by the sounds of things.
    You can go a long way with 4 batteries, if there's no fridge in the deal.
    If the power failures were really lengthy, then a generator might be needed, but in your case of 3 hour power failures twice a day, you should be laughing with the 3K inverter with 4 batteries.

PS: Yes you could try with 2 batteries first.
    If it isn't enough, buy 2 more.

apostropheman

thanks rocky!

we'll skip the generator for now and try 2 batteries and see. it's easy enough to add more and they might not be requried.

i looked at plaza lama in SD and they wanted about 3000 pesos per battery...for xantrex if i recall correctly so if 2 batteries will do...all the better

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast