High speed internet from De Lancer cable

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Hi everyone, first post on this forum.
Moved to the DR end of Aug, finally moved into our house in Perla Marina, Sosua three weeks ago.

When looking at houses we were told that high speed internet was not available in Perla Marina as Verizon wouldn't put a server near enough to the area. There is however a solution provided by De Lancer, which is cable internet. We had it installed last week and I can report that the performance is so-so.

For streaming, downloading and Skype, it works quite well. I have opted for the 512kps service. My main complaint is internet browsing. If you stay within one paricular website eg dr1.com then browsing through numerous pages is fine. The frustration starts when you try and search the web or switch from one site to another. The browser invariably hangs and "cannot find server" etc. Forget about using tabbed browsing! I usually use my Mac as the main computer and I also have a Windows laptop connected via a wireless router. I also have tried several browsers such as Safari, Firefox, the new EI7 all with same results.

If there are any experts in this field I would love to hear from them. Maybe there is something I can configure within these browsers to fix this problem. Hopefully we can get it working and be able to report to the rest of the residents of Perla Marina that broadband is here finally!

Cheers

Beeza

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Sounds like DNS problem to me, changing website names and not being able to resolve it to IP address quickly (to see if this is the case type IP address of a website instead of it's name and see how quickly it appears...).

I think there was a post about Verizon DNS servers being overrun, so may be DeLancer has the same problem. You can change your DNS server IP address to any server address you like (assuming it is a valid DNS server on the internet), the best is to experience with a few and see which works best for you.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
Please recomend Internet service in Casa de Campo la Romana. I come from Puerto rico things are more advance there i have broadband 6 mb regulary no interruptions and DSL High Speed $ 24.95 per month please recoment best service.

I have bought a villa in Casa de Campo and my Centennial cellphone works OK not as good as in the capital city please recoment if i should change to verizon.

What is the cable and satellite company in La romana Casa de campo! Due they take a long time to installed!

Please i need your help!

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
Yes but which is better and more reliabel the Broadband from the cable provider or dsl by verizon!

I also need to know if you could self installed or you need a appointment and how long in your experience that takes!

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Hi everyone, first post on this forum.
Moved to the DR end of Aug, finally moved into our house in Perla Marina, Sosua three weeks ago.

When looking at houses we were told that high speed internet was not available in Perla Marina as Verizon wouldn't put a server near enough to the area. There is however a solution provided by De Lancer, which is cable internet. We had it installed last week and I can report that the performance is so-so.

For streaming, downloading and Skype, it works quite well. I have opted for the 512kps service. My main complaint is internet browsing. If you stay within one paricular website eg dr1.com then browsing through numerous pages is fine. The frustration starts when you try and search the web or switch from one site to another. The browser invariably hangs and "cannot find server" etc. Forget about using tabbed browsing! I usually use my Mac as the main computer and I also have a Windows laptop connected via a wireless router. I also have tried several browsers such as Safari, Firefox, the new EI7 all with same results.

If there are any experts in this field I would love to hear from them. Maybe there is something I can configure within these browsers to fix this problem. Hopefully we can get it working and be able to report to the rest of the residents of Perla Marina that broadband is here finally!

Cheers

Beeza

Beeza: What are the prices for internet with De Lancer? Monthly? Setup fee? Is it bundles with your cable bill? Hope it is more reliable than the cable they provide...tom

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
i have broadband 6 mb regulary no interruptions and DSL High Speed $ 24.95 per month please recoment best service

Wow, 6mb 25$

The fastest public/residential service in the DR is Verizon's 1.5MB DSL which costs somewhere around $100/month last I checked.

Casa de Campo phonelines might be internally owned, its best to ask their managment whatever Verizon goes in there directly or if they "re-sell" the service or whatever. Something is available for sure, but it won't be cheap, just like everything else there.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am sorry I Have 6 mb with Onelink digital cable in Puerto rico and i Pay together with all cable channels incluiding premiums about 39.95 and that is Boradband.

I ment to say that D-Max Prtc dsl starts at 24.95 per month but you choose your speed! D-Max dsl in Puerto rico you could get service up to 4 mb but i have broadband because iti is faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does service in PR have to do with service in La Romana?
I pay $133/month in NYC for High Speed Cable Broadband, 6 Premium channels, HD, and digital phone service.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
I am sorry i was clarifying to a forumer some information that i previously posted. I did not wanted her to think that broadband/and digital cable service was 39.95 And i also wanted to cleared that the $ 24.95 thats waht dls in prtc starts you choose your speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
I am sorry I Have 6 mb with Onelink digital cable in Puerto rico and i Pay together with all cable channels incluiding premiums about 39.95 and that is Boradband.

I ment to say that D-Max Prtc dsl starts at 24.95 per month but you choose your speed! D-Max dsl in Puerto rico you could get service up to 4 mb but i have broadband because iti is faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Thanks Uzin,

I changed the DNS server in my router settings and it's working much better.

Thanks again, you truley are a computer guru!

Cost me US$105 set up fee which includes modem and US$40 per month for 512kbps. It is separate from the RD$ 350 cable subscription, and he also wants US dollars cash every month.

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
Why cash? Is this Internet access not a legit service he provides? Does he give you a bill for the cable?

Since I would be using this for business, anyway you think he would give me a business card and I could make out a receipt (factura cellado con PAGADO) for the cash I give him each month?