Caribbean First Timer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Flemster

Nov 2, 2006
Hello everyone!

I'm off to DM in less than 48 hours for my 1st ever trip to The Caribbean!
I've done the Far East travelling bit but this is my first foray into a packaged holiday.
two of us are heading for the Fun Tropicale AI resort in Playa Dorada on the 4th Nov and, whilst I've never done an AI before (or a package holiday for that matter!), we both don't want to be stuck in the resort for 14 days. I'm a firm believer in exploring the area as best is possible but a very tight budget is going to hamper this for us.
So, I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers as to what to see, where to go, who to talk to, etc.
The DM looks beautiful and I can't wait to go!
I'll post a post-holiday report of my impressions of the DM when I return!

The Flemster.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
~First off, it's the DOM. REP., the DR or the Dominican Republic. FYI.

Next off. There are tons of things to do off campus, so to speak.
Damajagua Falls if you are healthy. Four Wheel drives through cane fields.
Horse back rides.

A very funny guy that used the name of Sliver Ghost, and then Gray Ghost, posted onhis adventures. You can find his posts in the SEARCH function of this great board.

There is also a wonderful thread on DAMAJAGUA FALLS with pictures and all.

there is also the possibility of a trip to a real Dominican city like Santiago de los Caballeros, where you can see a more true picture of how this country lives. And it has the finest cultural center inthe Caribbean at the Centro Leon. And a Folklore museum, too. Plus shopping and such.

Good luck and do have fun!!

HB

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
fun royale tropicale

Hi Flemster,
I sent you a pm about the hotel as I just returned on saturday from there.
Sangria

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
~First off, it's the DOM. REP., the DR or the Dominican Republic. FYI. HB

Hillbilly is a real stickler on that point!

I don't personally know him, but I do hope to meet him one day. What I do know is that he is one gem of a person, given all of the advice he shares with people on this board.

Years ago I stayed with a group in Playa Dorada and did all he suggests "Damajagua Falls, Four Wheel drives through cane fields, Horse back rides."

Other interesting thing to do is the cable car up to Mount Isabela (sp?) I've never actually been on the cable car, but we drove up the back side, the view is spectacular.

Also take time to visit towns along the North coast Sosua, Cabarete and Puerto Plata.

Public taxies are easy and cheep along the North coast

Dama Descarada

Sep 20, 2004
Places to Visit

If you are interested in seeing Dominican Nightlife, I recommend going to Azucar Tipico, in Montellano, in between Playa Dorada and Sosua, you can take a taxi there it is pretty cheap. It is a true Dominican Carwash, the drinks are cheap and the music is great (as long as you like Merengue, Bachata, Salsa and Reggaeton, of course!)

As for your hotel, I have stayed there 4 times in the last 2 years and it is great. The staff are friendly and helpful, and a lot of fun. Rooms are plain but clean, and you are not in the DR to stay in your room the whole time anyways...The food there is great!!! If you see Ana at the Calypso Buffet Restaurant, please tell her that Nicole from Canada says Hola. She is a lovely woman, and will become your friend instantly...I miss her very much.

Also, Sosua Beach is a great place to go for the day - don't take a taxi there, you can take the guagua (public bus that is really a minivan) there for $20RD. The guagua is always an adventure in the DR, not to be missed!! There is a market on the beach and also some little restaurants for lunch. Snorkelling, banana boat and glass bottom boats are available on the beach as well.

I am sure you will find yourself planning your next trip to the DR while on the plane heading back home...like all the rest of us do...;)

Be sure to post a trip report!

DD

Status
Not open for further replies.