Current cost of A/Cs and Invertors please.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
In the final stages of finishing a construction from remote Canada. Here's an estimate I got from my builder, can I get your toughts please. Let me know if I'm missing anything:

4 Airconditioners split (3 X 12K BTU, 1 X 18K BTU) with remote, installation for $3800 USD

1 X 3.6KWh Trace with 8 batteries installed for $1900 USD.

Is this decent and can I get better prices?

Thanks for the usual good information.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
About the air conditioners I'm not sure about local prices but here's a price for a similar one Plaza Lama :: La Supertienda The prices you got quoted don't seem terribly out of line.

The inverter I can definitely say you can get it cheaper. Mine is similar 3.6Kwh with 8 batteries and I paid altogether about 1300 USD. If I were you and if you have the time I would wait and shop around when you're down there. I know there are some people in this board who either sell inverters or know people who do. They could probably give you more up to date info.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
I am a civil engineer so far i Know that electrical inverters do not provide the amps to supply electricity to an air conditioner please advise due that in Puerto rico are nonexistent here people just have emergency generators for Hurricane season a weather related situations. I really don understand how people in the dominican republic could withstand 8-12 blackouts!!!!!!!!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
1 X 3.6KWh Trace with 8 batteries installed for $1900 USD.
Absolutely correct.
The Trace/Xantrex 3.6K runs over $1,100 US, and most good batteries are approx. $90 US apiece, easily making the total quoted to you, give or take a few bucks.
If it's installation included, then it's spot on.
Of course, other brands cost less.
Everybody wants to be a Trace.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am a civil engineer so far i Know that electrical inverters do not provide the amps to supply electricity to an air conditioner please advise due that in Puerto rico are nonexistent here people just have emergency generators for Hurricane season a weather related situations. I really don understand how people in the dominican republic could withstand 8-12 blackouts!!!!!!!!!
Trace/Xantrex inverters give a lot more kick (amps) than a cheapo generator of the same rating.
They will withstand short term start up amperage draw that would be stalling a generator of the same capacity.
Now... the problem is... the battery bank.
AC's chew through batteries big time.
That's why few people use inverter systems to run AC's, not because they can't supply the power.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Import your Trace intertor???

I bought a 3.6 K Trace inverter in California via the net, put it in my suitcase, & brought it in thru Santiago, DR. I was in CA for a pleasure trip; not a special trip for the inverter.
* Only cursory customs inspection; no hassle. It's a little heavy & a little clumsy. Savings? $300 - 500.
* I suggest that you check the Trace inverter prices on the web. Trace inverters are sold in most states - as I remember.
* Bring in batteries in your suitcase? Not realistic. Far too heavy. Good luck!
* Speaking of A/C, why to Trane A/C units cost twice what other brands do in the DR. Grossly superior quality? Durability? Reduced maintenance? Lower operating costs? Other factors? Thank you.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I bought a 3.6 K Trace inverter in California via the net, put it in my suitcase, & brought it in thru Santiago, DR. I was in CA for a pleasure trip; not a special trip for the inverter.
* Only cursory customs inspection; no hassle. It's a little heavy & a little clumsy. Savings? $300 - 500.
How much did you pay for it in the US?
I just took a quick look on the net, and this is the price I found.
Trace DR 3624 by Xantrex
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3600 / 7500 24 volt Inverter/Charger [/FONT]

Regular Price: $
Our Price: $1,239.00

More expensive than here.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
I think I've gotten my answer. It's the same folks that built 2 houses for me this time last year. Price is roughly the same as last year. Just wanted to double check wih you guys.

Can't believe the effectiveness and quickness of response of members on this board. Got all the info needed 2 hours later. Gotta like DR1 !

Thanks.

Eric carignan

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
So let me Understand a Inverter depending on its capacity could run a window unit of a/c but the a/c will chew up the battery very fast and that is why people rather get generators to run a/c units.

What about fridge due they run a fridge normally all that also chews up the electricity too!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Chewing Amps

... chews up the electricity too!

It all depends on the kW of the consumer, that is the amps drawn.
The more battery capacity you have ( y x 225 Ah) the more current can be 'chewed' (if your inverter lets them through...).
Critical is also the 'switch-on' draw of a machine, which can be as three times its normal kW consumption. Only good inverters swallow that (Trace).

m'frog

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
So let me Understand a Inverter depending on its capacity could run a window unit of a/c but the a/c will chew up the battery very fast and that is why people rather get generators to run a/c units.

What about fridge due they run a fridge normally all that also chews up the electricity too!
A/C uses MUCH more power than a fridge. A/C has two large motors, fridge has one small one. Fridge motor cools 20 MOL cu.ft. A small room A/C cools maybe 1300 cu.ft. Batteries have an "amp hour" capacity; only about 70% is really usable.

Running a apt/house off batteries and inverter is similar to a boat electrical system with batteries and inverter. You won't see many boats running A/C off batteries, either.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
That is correct.
To give you an example, my 12,000 btu Amana AC unit, on high, cosumes 7 amps.
A medium size house fridge might consume, 1 to 2 amps.
In other words, if your inverter & battery set up could run the fridge for 10 hours, it may only run the AC for a couple of hours.

House fridges definitely cosume a fair bit of juice, but if you have enough batteries, it's quite feasible and a lot of people do it.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Thank you all for the info...

I too have found this thread one of the most useful ones lately since I too am in the finishing stage of my Villa....Thank God I am no longer renting in the SW as power outages there are on an hourly basis 4 on 4 off at the apt I was renting at...I also appreciated the info on the backup generator as I do have one 7,500 A/C unit in the Master bedroom..I built most of the Casa based on info I found here on DR1 over the past 4 months...Meeting Robert and Larry in person at that barbecue in Late Sept.was an inspiration..Hope you guys can make it to the Frontier for a fiesta in March after I get all my things in from the US....Still waiting on that cell tower as There is still no service in that area..Hopefully it will happen by Jan.07 so I was told..Land lines are just that..I'm praying it will be on schedule..But in the South West you are running way behind the rest of the DR...We at least can call cliam to the Larimar Mines...LOL..............

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It shows the DR3624 even more expensive.
Trace DR3624 (3600W, 24V) $1450 (includes built-in 70A charger)
That's why I wondered how much gringosabroso paid for his, in the US, that it saved him $300 to $500 US.
The last I heard, they run between $1,100 to $1,200 US here in the DR, and Ecarignan's quote of $1,800 US with 8 batteries included, from his contractor, supports that.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I don't know the 1st. thing about inverters. But in my last apartment I had a Trace inverter w/ 4 batteries (I guess it was a 2.4), and it was absolutely perfect - it worked seemlessly, and the only way i knew that the power was out was when I heard other peoples generator turn on.

In my present apartment, I bought the "house" brand 2.4 w/4 batteries from Freddie Multiservice in Sosua. Everyone told me that the only difference was the cover - that the works all came from the same source. And, in fact, this inverter is absolutely perfect as well. I don't use it for AC, but I have large fridge, several fans, a large tv that is always on, and some very inefficient lights. It runs for 12 hrs.

Now I am building a large house. i will not run AC off the inverter, but will run the water pump and possibly hot water as well as the normal stuff. Is there any reason why a Trace would be a better chouce than the normal Freddy? - D

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Now I am building a large house. i will not run AC off the inverter, but will run the water pump and possibly hot water as well as the normal stuff. Is there any reason why a Trace would be a better chouce than the normal Freddy? - D
Running hot water off an inverter can be a battery hog. Reconsider.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Good point. I'll probably have only lights, TVs, fridge, fans, - the normal 110 stuff, plus the water pump.
Water pumps can be hogs, as well.
Some fridges consume a lot too.
A lot of people who have inverters, either have a Tinaco or a ladrone pump, or both.
If you find that your fridge consumes more than 2 amps, you may need a lot of batteries.

Last edited: