Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Current cost of A/Cs and Invertors please.

In the final stages of finishing a construction from remote Canada. Here's an estimate I got from my builder, can I get your toughts please. Let me know if I'm missing anything:

4 Airconditioners split (3 X 12K BTU, 1 X 18K BTU) with remote, installation for $3800 USD

1 X 3.6KWh Trace with 8 batteries installed for $1900 USD.

Is this decent and can I get better prices?

Thanks for the usual good information.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

About the air conditioners I'm not sure about local prices but here's a price for a similar one Plaza Lama :: La Supertienda The prices you got quoted don't seem terribly out of line.

The inverter I can definitely say you can get it cheaper. Mine is similar 3.6Kwh with 8 batteries and I paid altogether about 1300 USD. If I were you and if you have the time I would wait and shop around when you're down there. I know there are some people in this board who either sell inverters or know people who do. They could probably give you more up to date info.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a civil engineer so far i Know that electrical inverters do not provide the amps to supply electricity to an air conditioner please advise due that in Puerto rico are nonexistent here people just have emergency generators for Hurricane season a weather related situations. I really don understand how people in the dominican republic could withstand 8-12 blackouts!!!!!!!!!

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Price OK

Quote Originally Posted by ecarignan View Post
    If it's a Trace DR3624 and Trojan T-105 batteries, the price is even good.

m'frog

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ecarignan View Post
    Absolutely correct.
    The Trace/Xantrex 3.6K runs over $1,100 US, and most good batteries are approx. $90 US apiece, easily making the total quoted to you, give or take a few bucks.
    If it's installation included, then it's spot on.
    Of course, other brands cost less.
    Everybody wants to be a Trace.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I am a civil engineer so far i Know that electrical inverters do not provide the amps to supply electricity to an air conditioner please advise due that in Puerto rico are nonexistent here people just have emergency generators for Hurricane season a weather related situations. I really don understand how people in the dominican republic could withstand 8-12 blackouts!!!!!!!!!
    Trace/Xantrex inverters give a lot more kick (amps) than a cheapo generator of the same rating.
    They will withstand short term start up amperage draw that would be stalling a generator of the same capacity.
    Now... the problem is... the battery bank.
    AC's chew through batteries big time.
    That's why few people use inverter systems to run AC's, not because they can't supply the power.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Import your Trace intertor???

I bought a 3.6 K Trace inverter in California via the net, put it in my suitcase, & brought it in thru Santiago, DR. I was in CA for a pleasure trip; not a special trip for the inverter.
    * Only cursory customs inspection; no hassle. It's a little heavy & a little clumsy. Savings? $300 - 500.
    * I suggest that you check the Trace inverter prices on the web. Trace inverters are sold in most states - as I remember.
    * Bring in batteries in your suitcase? Not realistic. Far too heavy. Good luck!
    * Speaking of A/C, why to Trane A/C units cost twice what other brands do in the DR. Grossly superior quality? Durability? Reduced maintenance? Lower operating costs? Other factors? Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gringosabroso View Post
    I bought a 3.6 K Trace inverter in California via the net, put it in my suitcase, & brought it in thru Santiago, DR. I was in CA for a pleasure trip; not a special trip for the inverter.
    * Only cursory customs inspection; no hassle. It's a little heavy & a little clumsy. Savings? $300 - 500.
    How much did you pay for it in the US?
    I just took a quick look on the net, and this is the price I found.
    Trace DR 3624 by Xantrex
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3600 / 7500 24 volt Inverter/Charger [/FONT]

Regular Price:$
    Our Price: $1,239.00

More expensive than here.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I've gotten my answer. It's the same folks that built 2 houses for me this time last year. Price is roughly the same as last year. Just wanted to double check wih you guys.

Can't believe the effectiveness and quickness of response of members on this board. Got all the info needed 2 hours later. Gotta like DR1 !

Thanks.

Eric carignan

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

So let me Understand a Inverter depending on its capacity could run a window unit of a/c but the a/c will chew up the battery very fast and that is why people rather get generators to run a/c units.

What about fridge due they run a fridge normally all that also chews up the electricity too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast