Sti Vs Pop (which Is Better)

spike00lee

Jun 29, 2003
I would like to hear how people feel about flying in and out of the POP airport vs STI in Santiago. I have flown in and out of the captial SDQ and mainly out of STI. Hands down.. I prefer Santiago. But I am considering using POP this year and wanted to get some feedback..

thanks

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
POP is quite easy. off the plane, through customs, and collect your baggage in about 15 -20 minutes. if i stop to exchange money, 30 minutes. SDQ is a nightmare IMHO...

never been to STI...

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I have flown into both airports, the deciding factor for me is whether the flight is non stop. I used to only use POP until AA stopped flying non stop into POP (end of April this year).

So now I fly non stop into STI. The part I hate is waiting for the luggage!

Ro

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
beware of the guys in the green shirts once you go out of the airport at POP....

Sep 19, 2005
you have trouble in STI?.... I have never been asked for anything..and I have made more than a dozen trips in the last year....and I havent seen anyone else get shook down....

they got the immigration thing down...its fast and efficient.....when my plane comes in they have at least 7 or 8 SETS of immigration people waiting to check your papers....they are at least 4 times faster than JFK and us customs.....( not that thats such a bad thing huh)

the last trip they were kinda slow getting us through the xray machine after we picked up our luggage......which is hit or miss...I have gotten my luggage in 5 minutes and i have waited 45 minutes......its pot luck....

bob

A

apostropheman

i've flown in and out of POP, STI, PUJ and SDQ with no hassle. i have found POP a little slow at times getting a tourist card and STI can be very busy however PUJ was excellent (i luv the secure waiting area that's "open air" and you can still smoke :)) and i've been in and out of SDQ twice in the last 3 weeks and it was a breeze. never had my bags searched entering the counrty infact i've always just been waived thru.

all in all the airports in the DR that i've used have all been excellent in their own ways.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Are they hungrier than the Santiago ones? In the captial, even the guys who checked the passports were asking.

Oh yeah, More tourists land in Puerto Plata than Santiago. The ones in POP airport are like pittbulls.

A

apostropheman

Oh yeah, More tourists land in Puerto Plata than Santiago. The ones in POP airport are like pittbulls.
i've never even seen that let alone experienced it and i've been to the DR 6 times this year alone thru 4 different airports. weird:surprised

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Is it possibel you travelled light. So no one offered to help you while waiting for your pack pack?

A

apostropheman

once i'm in the baggage area the only people i talk to are fellow travellers and the chica handingout the free brugal :)

at the final baggage check before exiting i either get waived thru outright or answer anything they ask me by saying " i don't understand" in english. in the last 6 trips i've basically just walked out after getting my checked bags if i had any. i've been thru with as little as 1 carryon and as much as 2 carryon and a HUGE duffel, checked.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
once i'm in the baggage area the only people i talk to are fellow travellers and the chica handingout the free brugal :)

at the final baggage check before exiting i either get waived thru outright or answer anything they ask me by saying " i don't understand" in english. in the last 6 trips i've basically just walked out after getting my checked bags if i had any. i've been thru with as little as 1 carryon and as much as 2 carryon and a HUGE duffel, checked.

Bingo, they only follow you around if you speak to them in spanish, if you dont understand, they wonr bother you.

A

apostropheman

Bingo, they only follow you around if you speak to them in spanish, if you dont understand, they wonr bother you.
i learned a long time ago that in places like the airport letting anyone know you speak/understand any spanish is just asking for trouble. most people that are going to try and shake you down (in a govt. building) do not speak english so they are lost if you seem to only speak another language :) ofcourse there are other places where this doesn't apply but then i try to avoid most people that approach me, in the street, speaking english.

note to self: learn a few phrases in polish:pirate: