Problems with Gas supply!

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
I am Usually a business traveler and when i go in an out i never realize the many problems in the D.R. It was a sour note when i went a couple of weeks a go mi driver could not take me to certain places that i wanted to go because there was no gas in the country. I know in la Romana there was no gas. Thrue a connection from my realtor in la Romana i went with my driver to the Airport and he was able to fill up the car.

My question is does that happen often! I magine i just bought a Villa in Casa De Campo and i am planinig to also to buy a 4x4 Jeepeta so i could go places in the island. During that trip i wanted to go to the capital and my realtor recomended me not to go because she did not know how long the gas shortages were going to last and she did not want me to get stock in the capital.

Can somebody recall if this happens very often!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
There have been occasional shortages limited to some grades at some stations the past few years. Usually the inconvenience is that lines form at the stations that do have product. The shortage that you referred to was the first multi-day widespread shortage that I can remember in the past few years.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
There have been occasional shortages limited to some grades at some stations the past few years. Usually the inconvenience is that lines form at the stations that do have product. The shortage that you referred to was the first multi-day widespread shortage that I can remember in the past few years.

So what you are saying this is not a every day event like the electrical shortages!

As you now i will probably spend December and January on and off in Casa de campo travelling mainly to la capital to get certain things for the villa as you now the good stores are over there! I dont want to be stock in la Capital for any of this situations!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Kemo in the 10 years I've lived here I can only remember maybe 3 or 4 other times that there was a shortage of fuel and as HOWMAR said it was related to a shortage of diesel or premium grade fuel. The reasoning given by the government each time was that the inbound tanker hadn't arrived yet.
This latest shortage is the first that I can remember lasting as long as it did.

Due the possibility of a variable shortage I stock some fuel in a container as a precautionary measure. The government has always warned when a shortage is projected and because of that there is no reason to justify a person getting 'stuck' anywhere if they in fact fill up when their fuel level reaches a predetermined level.

Rick

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
You shouldn't have a problem as long as you don't Dominicanize your fuel purchasing habits. Dominicans will drive their vehicle (doesn't matter whether it is a car, truck or motorcycle) until it is empty and then just put in a as little gas as they plan to use that day. I guess they are afraid to fill up in case they total the vehicle or somebody siphons their tank.