adopting a classroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
anyone know of how i could "adopt" a classroom and teacher for a school in sosua ? since i come to sosua on a regular basis, i would bring supplies down when i come. hopefully, planner will look at this and respond to me sponsoring her classroom.

thanks

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
dominicandream.org

And may I say, congratulations on being civic minded. A few more like you and we'd be well on our way!

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
You can adopt me haha

I am in the middle of looking for a job teaching in Sosua. I am going meeting the principal of one of the international schools in December. If I get the job and start work there next year, you can sponsor my classroom!! The more resources we can get in there the better!! Any chance you could fit a SMARTboard in your suitcase? haha. I wish I could take one with me, they are amazing!!

I think that is a great idea that would make such a difference to the lives of many children!

captain2002

Mar 30, 2006
www.beyondthebeach.ca
Kyle, where do you live? I have a group here in the Greater Toronto Area called So On Fire Sew On Fire - Home I have met these wonderful people and they have gift bags that are sewn by members, and filled with school supplies, personal hygene items etc. They also have a teachers bag, filled with enough school supplies for a year. These are free, just fill out the form and send them a photo of you giving it out.

Captain2002.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I love the idea of adopting a classroom. I try to get to Sosua twice a year and each time I go I take supplies. I would love to adopt a classroom and also help out while I am there.

I am going to check out Sew On Fire-Home as well.

captain2002

Mar 30, 2006
www.beyondthebeach.ca
tarrantino, it's hard to find, I know you are in Mississuaga, so let me know if you want to go to Sew On Fire. My office is in Mississauga, and I will take you there. They are wonderful people.
One thing there operation is not 8-5 Monday to Friday. I can call Wendy ahead of time and set up a meeting. Let me know.

It was nice meeting you and your son at the DR restaurant. He is a very polite young man.

Captain2002

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Dominicandream.org, Sosua Kids, Beyond the Beach and other organizations are great foundations to channel your generous and much needed donations. All contributions in any way, shape or form are highly encouraged. Your efforts are applauded. Why is it that Canadian folks seem to be the most generous of visitors? Must be a 'thang' but a good 'thang'.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
jamesfriesen's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

Take a look at the photos at this link.
We have over 40 Haitian children in the school now. We are always in need of items but even just a visit would be great.

It means a lot to them that people even take interest.
Either way thank you for wanting to help out.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i am located in the washington, d.c area of the US. i have contacted the DREAM project folks and i'm awaiting an answer. i saw that they are located in caberete. i hear there is a school over by the clasico disco but i don't want to just show up with school supplies. i will be in sosua 11/10 and would really like to get these supplies to someone, anyone. i wanted to bring scissors and clay but i think customs might think i'm carrying C4 and dangerous weapons.

would it be a good idea to just show up at a school with supplies ??

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Kyle,
when you get there, why don't you take a walk to see if there is indeed a school there (unless someone confirms there is one there before you go) and if it is take the supplies back.

jrf, I plan to go for a visit this time for 100% certain when I go back and I still have supplies that I have been accumulating to take to the school.

captain2002, that would be great. I will be in touch.

tflea, everyone that I talk to no matter what their destination always mention that they are taking school supplies,gifts for staff, etc.
And I agree it is a very good "thang"

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Schools

A public school in the heart of Sosua across from Casa Marina resort, Gregorio Luperon. Few doors from Clasico is a private school.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
What a great idea Kyle

I love the idea of adopting a classroom. I try to get to Sosua twice a year and each time I go I take supplies. I would love to adopt a classroom and also help out while I am there.

I am going to check out Sew On Fire-Home as well.

Me too! I was looking to do something charitable for Christmas or my birthday this year, in lieu of gifts...I'll look into this!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I am in the middle of looking for a job teaching in Sosua. I am going meeting the principal of one of the international schools in December. If I get the job and start work there next year, you can sponsor my classroom!! The more resources we can get in there the better!! Any chance you could fit a SMARTboard in your suitcase? haha. I wish I could take one with me, they are amazing!!

I think that is a great idea that would make such a difference to the lives of many children!
If it is the International School of Sosua be careful when you drop something off. Those Hummers and BMWs really whip in and out of there when they drop off the kids.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Hey tarrantino that's fabulous! Even if you just visit it means a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.