Dominican Republic or Mexico ??

M

Mark

Trying to decide on going to DR this Spring or back to Mexico. Ixtapa and Puerto Vallarta were very nice. We were thinking on going to the Sosus area but reading all these posts on problem with mosquitoes, Puerto Vallarta is looking real good. Going to need some persuasion back to DR...

M

Marilyn

I went to the DR for the first time last year and I remember reading posts warning everyone about mosquitos, instructing us to bring bug spray and repellent. I took the warnings and armed myself against the pests. To my delightful surprise, I did not need to me armed. I am not saying that I would disregard the warnings posted here, (in fact, I am going again in two weeks and I am taking malaria precautions and what ever else the good doctors tell me I need to do) and I will bring insect repellent. What I am telling you is that the DR in my opinion is a wonderful country! We enjoyed ourselves very much. The people are very friendly and helpful and I found the country beautiful. I cannot wait to return. I just hope the Boston weather cooperates so we can leave on schedule!

M

mina

I have been to both places. I love them both and would return to both given the chance. So my family alternates. One year we go to Isla Mujeres in Mexico the next we'll go to Bayahibe, DR. This year we were supposed to go to Isla Mujeres, but opted for DR again because of MALARIA fears.

We have friends living in Mexico near Playa del Carmen and they warned us not to come... Mexican Gov't was handing out malaria pills like candy there AND WHAT IS WORSE: NO WARNING TO TOURISTS AT ALL!!!!!

Of course DR has a problem too, but it is smaller and they are actively trying to bring it under control.... I don't know what Mexico is doing about it so cannot compare.

I suggest you go to DR and bring bug spray and consult with your doctor about precautions (also check out the CDC web site and read up on the whole thing).

Best regards,

Mina

P.S.: I guess an extended rainy season with longer periods of high heat have made mosquitoes burst out with a vengeance all over the tropics. BRING BUG SPRAY!

A

angela

Without a doubt the DR should win. The people are wonderful, the music is heaven, the food spectacular, etc. The list could go on. With the highest reccomendatins, please try the DR, you will not be disapointed. We went to Puerto Plata and stayed at the Fun Royale and are going back in May. Does that tell you how much we loved it!!!???

P.S. DO bring the bug spray and all will be fine.

Have Fun!!

Angela

S

Susanne

I have been to Mexico, and I have been to the DR. Now, Mexico is huge and I haven't seen very much of it, mainly the Northern parts bordering California and that wasn't that exciting. Other parts are much nicer I hear, and I would love to go see them.

However, chosing between the countries is difficult, as it depends on what you want. I found the Dominican Republic a wonderful country to travel in. Big enough where there were lots to see and do and many different kinds of nature, small enough to let you feel you had really seen quite a bit of it in 14 days.

YES - they did have a mosquitoe problem in December, mainly due to an unusual amount of rain in November and December. But insect repellent worked just fine, so we didn't find it much of a bother apart from one evening where both we and the mosquitoes were frantic. Even the local taxi drivers said they had never experienced anything like it. But again - that just goes to show that this is not the usual situation.

The Dominican Republic is delightfully full of gentle but proud people, lively music, stunning nature and towns that make you feel you are a loooooong way from home, but not so strange that you think you might as well have gone to Mars (that's the feeling you can get in China or Vietnam). If you want the touristic paradise version, just stay at one of the all inclusive resorts, relax, have fun, swim in the pool, fry at the beach, eat and drink and dance in the discos. If you want to see the real country, with all its excitement and contrasts - make individual arrangements and travel by bus. You can really have it any which way you want it. My favourite part of the country so far is the Saman? Peninsula.

Enjoy.

Regards, Susanne

S

susi

hi Mark, we lived in Mexico for a year and now we?re back in D.R.since last march. If you spend a vacation in Puerto Vallarta, I really wouldn?t recommend Sosua or it would have to be one of the bigger resorts outside of Sosua or Puerto Plata. Maybe Punta Cana would be an option (I made a little tour to see all the hotels and the RIU hotels are recommendable, anywhere on the island by the way). My opinion is, that service and the lay-out of the hotels are much better in Mexico. Also in Mexico there are a lot more things to do outside of the hotels. D.R. is a beautifull island , but not very well organized. But then a lot depends of what you want, just relax and sit in the sun all day is no problem in D.R. By the way, I didn?t hear about problems with mosquitos, at least not more than usual. I mean you?re on a tropical island with a lot of rain forest. Just keep your off spray close esp. at night. And getting malaria shots is really exagerated. I don?t know anybody who ever got malaria here, we never vaccinated our family. Malaria only exists in the Haiti border area. I do know people who got dengue fever tough, which is also transmitted by a mosquito. Just protect yourself. I just wait till the first mosquito bothers me and use repellent at that point. have fun in your vacation,susi

S

susi

malaria???

After I posted my message, I read all the messages regarding malaria, so everyone, please ignore what I?ve written, I seem to be not very well informed. susi

J

jim

Re: malaria???

I have heard that there is an outbread of Malaria within 90 to 100 miles of Casa DeCampo resort. Is this true? Does anyone have any information regarding this?

M

Milli

The Dominican Republic. I have been to Acapulco and Mazatlan and both were awesome for spring break. I have not heard all that great news about Puerto Vallarta though. I have been to the Dominican Republic 3 times in the last 8months and I love it. The mosquitoes are not that bad at all. Try it out and see if you can recommend the DR as a spring break destination. All to...suggestion if you do decide to go...stay in Puerto Plata as there is lots of partying and discos to go to as opposed to Sosua.

G

GREGG DEVINE

MEXICO IS FAR NICER, AS A TRAVEL AGENT THE DOMINICAN IS GETTING BETTER, BUT MEXICO IS FAR SUPERIOR.