what's should you pay for souvenirs?

VinceD

Aug 10, 2006
I recently got back from DR and of course visited several shops and stands of vendors selling the typical gifts/souvenirs but I wasn't really sure what a good price is for them. It's hard to compare prices because they don't give you their lowest price unless you go through the whole bargaining process with them. To protect those who are planning to go soon from being ripped off, I think it would be nice to get some ideas on what are good prices to pay for some of the typical items. Below is a list of some of the things I priced and what I did or could have gotten them for:

(prices are in USD)

- ceramic faceless doll - small = $2-3, med = $5
- mamajuana (dry) - liter bottle = $10
- paintings - 8x8 = $3-5, 36x8 = $20-30
- amber pendant - large = $35, medium = $15
- t-shirt = $5-8

Please add your experiences of what you've priced these and other items as.

Aug 19, 2004
Some useful information.

Also remember some of the best souvenirs are local produce such as coffee, tobacco, spices/herbs and rum - all can be picked up in any Dominican supermarket with price clearly marked.

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
Vanilla?

Does anyone have any experience with the nice square bottle of dominican vanilla that they sell at some of the airports?

I am wondering if it is any good- my mom likes madagascar vanilla, and I would like to bring her something from the DR on my next visit to see her. she's not into jewelry or anything else, but she does like to cook. She doesn't like the lighter cocoa from here and doesn't drink....rum or coffee.... my true wish is I could pack up some sunshine for her, but........

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Does anyone have any experience with the nice square bottle of dominican vanilla that they sell at some of the airports?

I am wondering if it is any good- my mom likes madagascar vanilla, and I would like to bring her something from the DR on my next visit to see her. she's not into jewelry or anything else, but she does like to cook. She doesn't like the lighter cocoa from here and doesn't drink....rum or coffee.... my true wish is I could pack up some sunshine for her, but........
I don't have any experience with the square bottles of vanilla, only with the plastic bottle of vanilla extract, they are not reliable bottles and you will have bathing suits soak in vanilla extract, like we did. Smell good, but what a mess.
Other food items we get from DR, is Maggi soup starter in cubes and guava marmalade beside Santo Domingo coffe and organic cacao.

WebDev

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I agree with HLYWUD, pay what it is worth to you! But understand that haggling is part of the Dominican experience. Enjoy it. Don't ever feel you were ripped off. So what is someone else got it cheaper, they are just better negotiators then you are!!!