Shipping A car To D.R ?

koolaid6666

Sep 6, 2006
Has anybody shipped a car to D.R.? Any suggestions. My Girlfriend Isn't coming hear to the US foe A year And I want to get here a car. Is it just easier to Buy one there. I have a couple of cars here I would rather send One. I was talking to somebody and there said the car should be a least a 2000 and Up? Any Help will do. I'm In LI, NY

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
unless you have a lot of money to blow and high threshold for pain, do yourself a favor and forget bringing a car here. good luck!

koolaid6666

Sep 6, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I'm probably going to sell One car here and Just buy one there. Thanks For the advice

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is a good idea!! She needs one for her boyfriend to drive as a taxi to support her children.....hehehehe

HB sarcastically!!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What About motorcycles? or dirt Bikes?

Yes those are used as taxis as well. ;)

Ok we're kind of pulling your leg but if you want to save yourself a lot of money and most of all headaches just buy these thing down there.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
Bringin A Car To The D.r Is Crazy The Customs Process Is A Mess!
And If You Can Buy A New Car With Somekind Of Guaranteed! Do It

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006

a friend of mine did this and it worked out in the end. don't get excited yet, he did it by taking the bike apart and putting it in his luggage. it took him 5 trips to DR and a few bribes to the maleteros, but he got his bike in. (he goes back and forth a lot). during the last trip where he was bring the second tire, i was with him and it was very interesting to see.

ps. he is dominican by birth and i suspect only a dominican can pull this off. i wouldn't try it at home.

oh, the bike was a ninja

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
a friend of mine did this and it worked out in the end. don't get excited yet, he did it by taking the bike apart and putting it in his luggage. it took him 5 trips to DR and a few bribes to the maleteros, but he got his bike in. (he goes back and forth a lot). during the last trip where he was bring the second tire, i was with him and it was very interesting to see.

ps. he is dominican by birth and i suspect only a dominican can pull this off. i wouldn't try it at home.

oh, the bike was a ninja
A ninja frame in his luggage? An engine? :surprised

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Buy A Car In Puerto Rico!

Then do what a lot of Dominicans do, Drive your car to the DR using the tunnel! Takes about two hours and costs only $50 US!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
A ninja frame in his luggage? An engine? :surprised

yep, i couldn't believe it either. when i saw him take the tire out of his luggage at the house, i was shocked.

as for the engine, he took it appart. you also have to remember that during the low season, you can travel with boxes as luggage rather than a tradditional suitcase. you wrap up your things, rope off the boxes, and you are golden. when i bring in boxes, i tip the aduaneros and they don't even cut the rope.

remember, if you can take something as big as a kayak and a surf board, checking in a large box is no problem.

priddymama24

Nov 3, 2006
Does that age rule apply to expats living there because of work? We will only be living there a couple of years and I don't want to have to buy a newer car just because

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
You will pay !!

Example: After several months of looking into this..I decided to sell the Harley Davidson I was going to ship..
Reasons..After talking to others who have done it and getting info directly from the HD dealer in Santo Domingo.He said no matter what the Aduana tells you the fact is that they don't go by that list but rather contact the dealer wether it be a motorcycle or a car..And after you show proof of cost such as the ORIGINAL invoice.They then ask the dealer what that vehicle sells for .You then pay the difference..In my case the bike was a 2005..Invoice price in the USA where I purchased it was $18,500 plus tax..The dealer in Santo Domingo sells that same bike if they can even get one for $34,000 USD.Then you get taxed on the difference of what you paid and what they sell it for..I just wasn't paying double for the bike..Another reason why they want the vehicle to be 5 years old or less..The dealers here still have fresh info as far as the price.This is the bottom line..Do you have the money to toss away..In my case I wasn't going to attract attention to myself by being a gringo riding around on a $34,000 motorcycle..I will get a simple 250cc dirt bike and fit in with the Dominican society..

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Only 20KG EACH CASE

oh, the bike was a ninja
http://www.phoenixtent.com/marine/images/CANVAS SUITE CASE COVERS.jpg ?Which case do i put the :bunny: frame in ha ha:cool: :classic: