Buying a used car in Moca

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I am just presenting the facts (the short version). Let the buyer beware. This past Saturday we went to Moca to purchase a used car from one of he supposedly reputable dealers. We found a 2002 Toyota RAV4 in what appeared to be excellent shape with 41,000 miles. The gas gauge was not working and they fixed it before we left. When we got home we checked the car on www.carfax.com to get a title history. Well it was sold at auction one month ago with 140,900 miles on it not 41,000 miles. On a 4 cylinder engine 100,000 is a BIG difference. We returned the car yesterday and after a shouting match with the owner he agreed to take the car back. We had already canceled the check on him and he still had the original check that he returned. He seemed a little miffed that we were upset with the difference in the odometer reading. He stated ?we turn all the odometers back as it is too expensive to import low mileage cars?. In the US you go to jail for doing this. I guess we are not in Kansas anymore. So let the buyer beware what you see is not what you get?..
If you want more information on this ?transaction? please feel free to PM me.

Bob K
:ermm:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I bought a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero in 2002 with 18,000 miles on the odometer from Antonio Ochoa's in Santiago. After 3 months it broke down and I needed a new engine. Of course there was no warranty or recourse. The new engine was installed by other mechanics who did not hook up a cooling hose properly, also they did not hook up the temperature gauge. When it over heated I didn't know and blew the 2nd engine and had to get a 3rd.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes, buyer beware. Anyone that doesn't Carfax a car they are thinking of buying here is complete idiot in my book. I have seen so many great looking chopped cars here, it's scary!

Glad it all worked out and you got your money back.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Very scary! "We turn all the odometers back...." I thought it was impossible to do this without leaving an easily visible "Tell tale" mark on the odometer..
Guess I was wrong! Canadian Bob.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
not only can it be done, it is done professionaly. even the digital ones can be turned back for the right amount of money- very scary indeed!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
If you're buying a Used Car------

There are several things you can do right on the lot:

1) Race the motor and listen very carefully during wind-down. Worn Rod bearings will rattle and valves will chatter. Check the oil for color and viscosity. It should be/feel slick with no streaky discoloration. Any of that will signify the addition of a graphite compound having been added.

2) Put the transmission in drive, step on the brake real haard, give it full throttle. You can hear Main bearings go "thump-thump", meaning they're worn out! Also a good way to check the functionality of the brakes. Pull the wheels and check the thickness of the brake pads.

3) Turn on the lights and check the luminous pattern against a dark wall. Back up andcheck again. Any misalignment will immediately become obvious. Check out the directional signals and brake light function at the same time.

4) Take time to check the wear pattern on the brake pedal. Check out all electrically powered door locks, window lifts seat adjustment mechanism, etc.

5) Look at the wear pattern on ALL 4 TIRES. Misalignment and imbalance will be evidenced by cupping and/or excessive wear on one side or the other.

These are just a few of the things you can do by careful scrutiny of the vehicle. When in doubt of your capabilities, take the car to a reputable mechanic for a good going over. There are plenty of them around.

Good Luck.

Texas Bill

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Great information! Are there any reputable mechanics that readers can reccommend in Puerto Plata, Santiago, Santo Domingo, or (God help us!) in Moca, who could verify the condition of a vehicle? Canadian Bob.

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
Great information! Are there any reputable mechanics that readers can reccommend in Puerto Plata, Santiago, Santo Domingo, or (God help us!) in Moca, who could verify the condition of a vehicle? Canadian Bob.

want to bring back this topic to ask same question.
any good mechanic one can take to dealer to verify condition of vehicle
in Santiago?? And approx how much would mechanic charge to inspect car?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Don't know about mechanics, but if you're buying a used car in The DR expect that it probably has miles rolled back. Miles don't mean anything in The DR and in reality they truly mean nothing because work is so cheap (i.e. head gasket job cost about 4000 pesos). Just make sure there's nothing major wrong with it and that the looks are what you want. If you know a mechanic you can trust or who's at least a friend of a friend pay him some money to go with you and verify that everything is OK.

Carfax can give some history, but even that means nothing as you don't know what has happened to that car since it got to The DR. Bottom line if the deal sounds too good then it probably is...

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Carfax can give some history, but even that means nothing as you don't know what has happened to that car since it got to The DR

Actually car fax can be very helpful. All 4 cars that we looked up had shipped from the US 3-5 weeks before we bought it. Only one other car had a history that was over a year old. So it is worth the $30 for an unlimited 30 use of the service.

Bob K