shipping agent

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Ok I know all about the advise of buying a car here rather then shipping. :ermm: Howver after this weekend we are considering shipping a car again. See my thread of buying a used car in Moca. Now does anyone have an agent that I could use on this end for bringing in my car. We will also ship a container later this spring of our household goods. Thanks.

Bob K

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
why set yourself up for dissapointment? no matter who you use, it will be a dissaster. i guarantee you will pay just as much tax/duty as the stuff (and car) are worth - if not more.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Yes i agree. I recently shipped some goods from the states and it was not only a disaster but we paid 50% tax!! We were given lots of advise on how to avoid such a large tax bill and even took someone who knew someone etc etc and it made zero difference.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Contact E.T. Heinsen Company in Santo Domingo. They have English speaking people on staff. They are one of the oldest and the best shipping agents in the country. I shipped stuff back to the states with them and it went off without a hitch. The last incoming shipment I had, a lawnmower, I handled myself and other that a problem with a buscone at AILA airport "helping" us with the process, that wasn't very difficult. Tax was only 13%. With a car and household goods, an agent is best.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Andy,
Do you have the address or phone number for E.T Heinsen.
Thanks

Bob K

ken kopas

Jun 22, 2003
shipping

Bob, for shipping down household goods I used a Dominican named Jose that has a travel agent/insurance/shipping company in Worcester, MA, goods were dlivered to my door w/o a problem and no duty. Jose will also deliver autos to your door and you will know the duty before shipping. I know you and your auto are a long way from MA but maybe a phone call could result in some good info. I am up here if you need some help. Jose (508)-797-5595
Ken

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Things have changed on the eve of the DRCafta implementation. Everyone is in trouble, even good shipping agents. We're holding off on major shipments until the agreement is signed in. We've had nothing but trouble for the last few months. I would suggest for household goods, hold off a few months.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Heinsen

I agree that E.T.Heinsen is an excellent choice. Julio Heinsen was educated in the US and is top notch, crema de la nata.
I use Fernando Rodrigues, educated at the U. of Houston and also a top notch
guy. He's in SDQ Rocky. I can put you in touch with him or Heinsen. Will cost you one rib and a shot of rum.:cheeky:

cuas

May 29, 2006
Things have changed on the eve of the DRCafta implementation. Everyone is in trouble, even good shipping agents. We're holding off on major shipments until the agreement is signed in. We've had nothing but trouble for the last few months. I would suggest for household goods, hold off a few months.

Does it include the "puerta a puerta" because I am about to sent a box with Christmas goodies {food and used clothes}. If so I won't sent the box.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
He's in SDQ Rocky. I can put you in touch with him or Heinsen. Will cost you one rib and a shot of rum.:cheeky:
Did I miss something?
Doesn't really matter anyhow.
You deserve a 9 platter and 2 shots of rhum, for all the good info you give us, specially concerning "airport stuff".
Did you understand all that, or should I get Sparky to translate it into Texan?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Does it include the "puerta a puerta" because I am about to sent a box with Christmas goodies {food and used clothes}. If so I won't sent the box.

I don't know about that. I only know about bringing stuff in for business. Usually there is a relaxation around Xmas so that gifts can come in easily.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To Bob

Importing goods, specially cars, is a coin toss.
If you have the right guy at the right time with the right connections, it can all go smoothly.
Most of the time, it does not.
Sometimes, it's an outright nightmare.
As it is so difficult to determine who's info is accurate, truthful, up to date, etc, the solution is being logical.
If it was a good idea to import your car, all of us would be doing it.
Check out the long time residents.
Do they import, or buy their cars here?
Ask people like Eddy, Robert, Hillbilly, where they get their cars.

There are people who have lived here for a 2 or 3 years, who claim 8 to 10.
If someone lies to you once, they will lie to you twice. It's not difficult to verify.

If tflea or Chris get you connected properly, then go with it.
Personally, I will never import a vehicle again, without using a dealer.
Even with an agent who managed to get the import taxes substantially reduced, I still paid approx. 85% of the value of the vehicle at customs.
They wanted 135%.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
why set yourself up for dissapointment? no matter who you use, it will be a dissaster. i guarantee you will pay just as much tax/duty as the stuff (and car) are worth - if not more.

This is the answer...I just ended up selling a 2005 Harley Davidson after learning the truth from the Dealer in SD just what I will be paying for REAL vs What the aduana quotes you...They will rape you at the port and you will wish you did what I did and sell it wherever you are and buy it here...Unless you are very well connected..And I mean VERY WELL !!!!