Should I Rent Or Buy A Car?

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
We are coming to the DR in mid Dec for 1 month and I was going to rent a car for $1000.00 Canadian for the month through National. I did some checking and it appears I could buy a 2000 Skoda for 115,000 RD which is $3833.00 Canadian. This was a car dealer in Santo Domingo but I assume the same kind of numbers would be in Puerto Plata. Keeping in mind we have a villa in Cabarete and will visit it whenever we can, it might be a smarter move to put that grand towards a purchase.
Any thoughts/opinions/links would be great!
Thanks,
Steve

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
Same Debate

Steve, My husband and I have been having the same debate. He wants to buy and I don't. However, since we will be renting our house out when we are not in it the question is...what do we do with the car when we aren't there. If it is parked in the driveway where do the renters park their rental car (which they will need) OR do we include the use of the car with the rental? If we include the car with the rental what happens if the car breaks down - who's responsible? What if the car needs repairs and we're not in attendance? Does it just sit until we get down there to fix it? What about insurance? Ultimately, until we are there longer than a month at a time it doesn't seem to make sense to me to purchase a car....although my husband still wants to buy a car!!!

I believe we are just around the corner from you and we will also be in residence for 1 month begining Dec 19.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Other expenses

We are coming to the DR in mid Dec for 1 month and I was going to rent a car for $1000.00 Canadian for the month through National. I did some checking and it appears I could buy a 2000 Skoda for 115,000 RD which is $3833.00 Canadian. This was a car dealer in Santo Domingo but I assume the same kind of numbers would be in Puerto Plata. Keeping in mind we have a villa in Cabarete and will visit it whenever we can, it might be a smarter move to put that grand towards a purchase.
Any thoughts/opinions/links would be great!
Thanks,
Steve

Insurance, revista...must maintain it as well as keep it secured while you are away.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I'm willing to wager that this $3800 car will end up costing you double that by the time a year has ended (insurance, repairs, etc.).

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm willing to wager that this $3800 car will end up costing you double that by the time a year has ended (insurance, repairs, etc.).
There's a reason that Scrotums, I mean, Skodas are so cheap.
They are total pieces of junk.
Everybody I know who ever owned one, wanted to party after getting rid of it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
US$3800 will buy you junk and a lot of headaches. Unless you live here, renting a car to renters is a very bad move. If you name is on the title, your responsible. Don't do it, unless you like pain and have VERY deep pockets.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Same thoughts

Steve, My husband and I have been having the same debate. He wants to buy and I don't. However, since we will be renting our house out when we are not in it the question is...what do we do with the car when we aren't there. If it is parked in the driveway where do the renters park their rental car (which they will need) OR do we include the use of the car with the rental? If we include the car with the rental what happens if the car breaks down - who's responsible? What if the car needs repairs and we're not in attendance? Does it just sit until we get down there to fix it? What about insurance? Ultimately, until we are there longer than a month at a time it doesn't seem to make sense to me to purchase a car....although my husband still wants to buy a car!!!

I believe we are just around the corner from you and we will also be in residence for 1 month begining Dec 19.

Kdeer
Looking forward to meeting you soon.
We were wondering the same thing as you regarding having the car as a perk for people renting villa with car included etc. That could end up being a nightmare. I was just thinking, why not put the grand toward a buy over a rent. Hey, let's make it more complicated and split a car and fight about who gets it, and when! Lol!

Dominican Scotty, how much is insurance for a 2000 and what/who is revista?
Howmar, you really think a 2000 would be that unreliable considering it's rare usage due to not living there and using it maybe 6 weeks a year?

Keep 'em comin', any suggestions as the best place to buy on the north shore would help too.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
I Agree

US$3800 will buy you junk and a lot of headaches. Unless you live here, renting a car to renters is a very bad move. If you name is on the title, your responsible. Don't do it, unless you like pain and have VERY deep pockets.

Robert
Yes, I must agree that was a silly thought. I'm just thinking that when we come to the DR, I can't see ever NOT having wheels and at $1000.00 a month rent, the piece of crap is paid for after 4 visits. Hey Robert, wanna rent me your car?
Steve;)

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
rent or buy

Robert
Yes, I must agree that was a silly thought. I'm just thinking that when we come to the DR, I can't see ever NOT having wheels and at $1000.00 a month rent, the piece of crap is paid for after 4 visits. Hey Robert, wanna rent me your car?
Steve;)
my suggestion is if you are here for only a month,use taxis....in the long run it will be cheaper,even if you travel around the Island...there are people on DR1 that can give you info on drivers in POP.
bob

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There are deals for small cars, from the POP airport, for approx. $150 US/week.
They're not luxury cars, but they are newish and have AC, often Nissan Sentras.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
try this rent-a-car, get a quote. they have good suv's. they are in costambar, which is an hour away from cabarete, but the drive might be worth it.
809-970-7005
809-757-3744

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Taxi's

my suggestion is if you are here for only a month,use taxis....in the long run it will be cheaper,even if you travel around the Island...there are people on DR1 that can give you info on drivers in POP.
bob

Bob
I mentioned that to my wife too earlier this week. I said I couldn't see taxi fare getting to a grand, seeing we are only 10 minutes from the beach. But even if we would spend $500.00, I would rather spend the rest and have the car at our beckin call.
Thanks though,
Steve

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Save yourself the hassle. The smart thing to do is to find a smart and reliable taxi guy that has a comfortable vehicle. You then work a deal with him whereby he is your driver for a 3 hour period, 8 hour period, or whatever your needs are. You arrange it ahead of time with him. You sit back and let him do the driving and take on the responsiblity. You save money...probably lots of it. For short trips you just call a regular taxi. You may want to get to know several of these taxi guys so you have a backup.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Save yourself the hassle. The smart thing to do is to find a smart and reliable taxi guy that has a comfortable vehicle. You then work a deal with him whereby he is your driver for a 3 hour period, 8 hour period, or whatever your needs are. You arrange it ahead of time with him. You sit back and let him do the driving and take on the responsiblity. You save money...probably lots of it. For short trips you just call a regular taxi. You may want to get to know several of these taxi guys so you have a backup. Don't be naive when negotiating. Factor in how much he will use in fuel cost realizing he is using propane. Then pay him a fair price for his time and effort. That is the base figure. Then if he is excellent and you want to tip some...do so. "The tip will dearly reflect".

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Nissan Sentra

There are deals for small cars, from the POP airport, for approx. $150 US/week.
They're not luxury cars, but they are newish and have AC, often Nissan Sentras.

Rocky
My quote is from the POP Airport for 29 days in Canadian $$ including taxes.
It's 1 step up from the smallest car.
Thanks,
Steve

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
It is not just a $1000. You then have to be concerned about accidents, vehicle stolen, vehicle damaged, parts stolen off vehicle, breakdowns, you will pay for fuel cost.

Use the taxis. And Let's say you want something from down the way at the store. You find a trusty motoconcho and send him for it.

The key to this place is learning how to take advantage of labor cost. You can get things done a lot cheaper here if you are not a sucker. I run the colmado motoconchos all day long. I call and they deliver.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
You don't want to accidently hit someone here. Even if no way in hell was it your fault, they will probably try to get you for as much as they can. The other day a young kid about 4 years old ran out in front of my jeep. I was going about 25mph. He just came running out from in front of a truck that was parked along side the road. He didnt look. He had his back to me as he ran across the road. Had it occurred 2 seconds later...I would have hit him and most probably killed him. I would be in jail and it would take a lot of money to get me out. Had I not been alert and not had time to slam on my breaks...I would have hit him. It is crazy out there. I think the chances of this type of thing occurring are increasing. Just seems to be a lot more traffic on the roads these days.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Cost

It is not just a $1000. You then have to be concerned about accidents, vehicle stolen, vehicle damaged, parts stolen off vehicle, breakdowns, you will pay for fuel cost.

Use the taxis. And Let's say you want something from down the way at the store. You find a trusty motoconcho and send him for it.

The key to this place is learning how to take advantage of labor cost. You can get things done a lot cheaper here if you are not a sucker. I run the colmado motoconchos all day long. I call and they deliver.

Snuffy
What do you think I would spend in 29 days? Keep in mind that I am with my wife and 3 kids too. I rented last March and am comfortable driving in POP on a Friday night. We went to Santiago to buy furniture. Maybe this time we will drive to the capital.
Thanks,
Steve

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
If you drive from POP to Santo Domingo, drive around in Santo Domingo....which is a nightmare...and drive back to POP....in a small vehicle you will spend approximately 2500 to 3000 pesos in fuel. If you drive for 29 days in your area...you will spend 2000 a week. That is 11,000 pesos. So that is approx. $300 in fuel cost. But let us say $250.