Tick medicine for Dog

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I've been to two vets and they have sold me several items. Nothing has worked. What do you use to keep ticks off your dog? And is there something to treat the area where the dog lives? Thanks.

And - I HATE VERIZON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I use a vet service for Bruno, but in the days when I did it myself, for good ole' Rocky, supreme stinky beast and tick hotel, nothing but nothing worked better than Frontline drops you put on his shoulder blades.
Cleaning with diesel fuel helps to get rid of ticks, (Not on the dog... The floors)

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
You say Frontline works if used correctly. What is the secret. If this is the small triangular tube...I tried it and it did not work.

I bought this shampoo the other day. The vet said, "mejor mejor". Okay I take it home and give ole Mickey a good shampoo. Then I proceeded to clean his area real good. I sprayed the yard around his area with a potent bug killer. I thought, that should do it. Four days later my wife says to come and see Mickey. He has probably 70 ticks on him. I was shocked. The ticks here must love that shampoo. Now I am ****ed off. I want a f&&king solution now. So tell me how to use the damn Frontline correctly...cause I must be retarded.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Rocky, tell me about the vet service. What is that the scam. Sell products that don't work so you have to use the vet service? Hey I'm all for figuring out the scam and then adapting.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We just had a delivery of Frontline from UK thanks to a very nice friend. Yes it works if used correctly. And you can get it here.
That's good to know.
I couldn't find it anywhere a year or two ago.
If Frontline shoulder drops don't work, nothing will.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm a bit slow

Rocky, tell me about the vet service. What is that the scam. Sell products that don't work so you have to use the vet service? Hey I'm all for figuring out the scam and then adapting.
I got distracted and was slow to post my last post.
Yes, that is the product we are talking about.
If you have used it correctly and it did not work, then I'm stumped.
The vet service is actually Judy's Pet Lodge.
She's a vet's assistant and has a variety of services.
Anyhow, she comes and picks Bruno up once a month, they bathe him with special shampoo, give him any shots that are due, and brings him back squeaky clean, and he never gets ticks.
If I remember correctly, you live in Santo Domingo, so you can forget about Judy's service.
I don't know what else to suggest.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We also use front line and have for years in the US and since getting here. We have found a very rare tick on the dog with the frontline, but all seem to be dead. In the last 3months we have found 4 ticks so it must be working. The vet (Dela Cruz) says that even with the frontline a rare tick is to be expected.

Bob K

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The problem is that many people give up on the drop applications like Frontline or Advantix (or any other monthly flea/tick medicine) because they dont know it will actually take several weeks to take effect, around 2 to 4 weeks sometimes even longer. I think this is because they do not kill some ticks (or eggs, not sure) on contact but rather disrupt one critical part of the life cycle.

While you wait for this to work all you can do is shampoo the dog often but you will still find ticks a few days after shampooing. You also need to have your house (and yard possibly) sprayed once by some pest control company when you start the applications and shampoo treatment as a sort of shock treatment.

Once the monthly drops are working, they work great, the important thing is to make sure the liquid hits the skin (between the fur hairs) and that you apply on a regular monthly basis. On top of it you should use flea/tick shampoo but not within two days of the drops application, before or after. Make sure the dogs are not swimming in water or getting wet right after the drops applications.

Shampoo should be used at least every two weeks and more often after the pest control application or the initial infestation. I have four dogs and used to have terrible tick problems which have been solved via drops and shampoo applications. The problem was so bad I had ticks laying eggs on my walls in the hundreds, after going out of town once.

The key is to never miss an application as re-infestation will take a month or so get rid of, if you're lucky. I have not found a single tick in 3 years after using this method. I also have flea/tick collars on the dogs which last for 3 months.

Last edited:

Gumby

Aug 3, 2005
Ivermectin

Go to Doctor Bob or Judy's Pet Lodge by Sosua and ask for some Ivermectin. I used it on my dog and it worked like a charm!

Gumby

Aug 3, 2005
Ivermectin

Go to Doctor Bob or Judy's Pet Lodge by Sosua and ask for some Ivermectin. It works wonderfully!!

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
5 years ago my sweet little Sheltie(RIP) had terrible tick problems. After consulting several Vets, I encountered Dr. Bob Amelingmeier. I think he is next to Judy's pet lodge. Anyway, I got this little tube of stuff which you apply to the neck of the dog directly to the skin once a month and it fixed the problem. It was made in South America and I can't remember the name, but it worked perfectly. 180 pesos per month at the time. My dog was on Revolution at the time and it was supposed to deter ticks, but I think the ticks in the DR are different from the ones in the US and Canada.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Ah ha....I knew I was not going insane. I have had dogs in the USA and put the tick collar on or shampooed in tick shampoo and whammo no more problems....easily managed.

Conchman...your story makes sense. Snowbird...nice to know. Thanks.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Frontline is here in Santiago. The problem is that it is about 3 times the price in the USA. But I gotta do what I gotta do.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Why not ask friends/acquaintances from the US to bring you some down next time they come? Must be quite a few reading this who could bring you a couple of sachets down!! Size of dog??

Failing that, order some on-line & get it sent to Business Mail or Xmail for delivery to their Santiago offices. As the sachets do not weigh much, it should not caost more than a few pesos to have it sent down! Hey, maybe you could sell any excess you buy to the local suppliers & make enough profit to PAY for the delivery service??

Good luck ~ Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Through the "good offices" of some REAL friends, who, most probably for their own safety, were able to provide me with some Frontline, I have been fairly successful at combating a major tick infestation.

We had 4 dogs (now three). Ticks were everywhere. I had the house and yard sprayed, bathed the dogs etc.

For the house, furniture and yard I used BARICADA. BARICADA is available at any Vet store. It is a potent insecticide.

I bathed the dogs in it. I sprayed the house with it. I sprayed all the yard with it.

Then I applied Frontline to each of the dogs as per the indications onthe package. The results were fairly evident, and today, we do not see any ticks. It did take a few days for the infestation to die out.

Next Monday, the dogs get another dose.

I went to 1800petmeds.com and saw a sale on K9Advantix....You could have them send it by BusinessMail...call me if you need some assistance.

I am forever gratful to my friends who provided the Frontline....believe me...

HB

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
The difference between frontline and advantix is that front line is a repellent and doesn't kill the tix whereas advantix kills them. Secondly there are strands of tixs around that are imune to Frontline. Advantix is a newer product and doesn't suffer from this problem.

In order to get rid of the tix in your nieghbourhood get some guinea fowl let them clear the grounds of tixs they love them

Greetings

Johan