Nice Lady needs help urgently!!!

Gregory8

Oct 15, 2006
I am posting this for a friend here in the DR. She got legally married last year to a jerk from Vancouver Island and he said he would send for her. Now he says he has no money etc... This guy has a BC Ferries job and is doing a number on her. All she wants is to know what her rights are here if any. (Apparently he cheated her out of all her money here. (drained the bank acct).

1- Does she have full marital status under canadian law? (is the marrage recognized?)
2-Can she claim half of marital assets?
3- Can she obtain a visa or citizenship??

He left her nothing and refuses to talk to her.

Is there a support group in the Vancouver area that can help her?
Anyone know a lawyer who will help her pro-bono?

Any unsarcastic information would be appreciated.
We don't have time for wannabe lawyers or DR experts.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Gosh...a Canadian sankie....
Tell her to contact the Guzman firm to find out what her legal rights are.
I don't think any lawyer will work pro bono but she may be able to make a deal to pay AFTER any legal proceedings are finished on a percentage basis (lots of lawyers work this way).
Also take a look at the Canadian Legal Society website.
She can do a free half hour consultation with a Canadian lawyer to find out what rights she has in Canada (could be done by email).
Hope this helps!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Gosh...a Canadian sankie....
Tell her to contact the Guzman firm to find out what her legal rights are.
I don't think any lawyer will work pro bono but she may be able to make a deal to pay AFTER any legal proceedings are finished on a percentage basis (lots of lawyers work this way).
Also take a look at the Canadian Legal Society website.
She can do a free half hour consultation with a Canadian lawyer to find out what rights she has in Canada (could be done by email).
Hope this helps!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
If he isn't talking to her or contacting her she can also contact the local police and report him 'missing' if she knows his home address.
Might help her cause or at least put him in touch.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
If the canadian husband filed the appropriate paperwork in Canada then the marriage is recognised.

She only has rights to property here, nothing in Canada.

She does not have ANY rights to a visa or citizenship without him sponsoring her.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
MR.Mike you are cracking me up.

Howmar - unless they bought property together after he filed the appropriate paperwork etc, then she MIGHT have a claim. BUT I am pretty sure none of that happened. AND if it did, she would have amassive and expensive fight on her hands.

suitelady79

Sep 20, 2006
My, My, My, how the tables do turn...

WOW!! How crazy that the tides have turned! It's not funny, but that's FUNNY! I can't believe it!

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Stranger things have happened. I think Gary Short lives in Vancouver, maybe he can be a private eye and help track down the Maple Leaf sankie.:cheeky:

Btw to the OP I wish you luck.

Last edited:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
If the canadian husband filed the appropriate paperwork in Canada then the marriage is recognised.

She only has rights to property here, nothing in Canada.

She does not have ANY rights to a visa or citizenship without him sponsoring her.

That's the best consequence of that marriage.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
(Apparently he cheated her out of all her money here. (drained the bank acct).

Nice lady?
It's nice to be nice but come on now.:tired:

How did he do this and how much are we talking about here?:ermm:

Does she even know his real name?:ermm:

Ha ha ha, Ha ha ha ha ha.

DR Sankies: 4,567,987
BC Sankies: 1

Go Canada!!!
:cheeky: :laugh: :p :D

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
QUOTE:
Apparently he cheated her out of all of HER money here (drained the bank account)
- -- - -- --
We don't have time for wannabe lawyers or DR experts. END QUOTE

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Gregory8,

Take a hike. You don't want any wannabe lawyers or DR experts, then go PAY a REAL attorney and ask him for advice. Chances are, plenty of your disdained "DR Experts" here have encountered the same crapola, but if you don't want advice from anyone here, then send a PM to Sr Guzman, and spare us your drama. Posiblimente tu eres demasiado toca?o.

PS - if the Canadian guy drained the bank account, then it means it was THEIR account, and it was THEIR money, and he had every right to withdraw any amount of the $$.

Why is the Dominicana angry about that? Did he beat her to it????

G

gary short

Stranger things have happened. I think Gary Short lives in Vancouver, maybe he can be a private eye and help track down the Maple Leaf sankie.:cheeky:

Btw to the OP I wish you luck.

Geez eh......sounds like she got hosed by a hoser

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I am posting this for a friend here in the DR. She got legally married last year to a jerk from Vancouver Island and he said he would send for her. Now he says he has no money etc... This guy has a BC Ferries job and is doing a number on her. All she wants is to know what her rights are here if any. (Apparently he cheated her out of all her money here. (drained the bank acct).

1- Does she have full marital status under canadian law? (is the marrage recognized?)
2-Can she claim half of marital assets?
3- Can she obtain a visa or citizenship??

Is there a support group in the Vancouver area that can help her?
Anyone know a lawyer who will help her pro-bono?

We don't have time for wannabe lawyers or DR experts.
How could anyone believe any of this crap. How could he have drained her account? Did he have a bank card? Did he withdraw the money from Canada? How much are we talking about? Any Dominican girl that has "mucho $$$ of her (own) money in the bank, would not even think about marrying a "Gringo" much less give him access to it. 2nd, she would not need him to "send for her". She would would have her own visa etc. I could go on forever. You are probably sincere in your quest but I think you don't have all the facts. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry but.......

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Its just too funny

Beaten at their own game so to speak.. It was probably all his money anyway..I doubt if she had dinero she would Western Union the other way..Anyone ever heared of a Dominican woman supporting a Canadian???????. Nice life if you can get it...M.