Golfers! Punta Espada Cap Cana

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This report was kindly provided by Bo, Mr. Pib. We sent him yesterday to go play around of golf with Jack Nicklaus. His report and photos below :)

Punta Espada golf course, Grand Opening.

First thing that strikes you is the colours. Everything is kept in green, white and blue.

Green from the grass of the Paspalum variety which further has the advantage that seawater can be used for irrigation.

White from the sand, pebbles and rocks used in the bunkers and common areas dividing the club house areas from the course.
And blue served in the many different shades the ocean offers.

Press conference.
Apart from the questions where the answer was given before it was asked and the usual Tiger related questions which have no relation to this course, the press would of course like to know how this course ranks among the more than 250 courses Jack Nicklaus have designed all over the world. He wouldn?t promote one over the other as he regards all of them as his children he said; however he was very thrilled with the piece of land given to him for Punta Espada which could only lead to a spectacular course and he was very proud of it.

On the question of how the next course (Iguanas) would look he couldn?t give a specific answer as he likes to tweak his initial ideas for the design as the development goes along.

He didn?t find it all together difficult to work with the Dominican government or bureaucracy as there seems to be an understanding for the development of the tourism industry.

Whether the course would host a professional tournament he could only vouch for the facilities. They are as good as they get for that purpose. What the PGA decides to do in their efforts to promote the sport into this part of the world only the future will show.

Clinic.
It turned out to be no more than his regular warm up routine. He said he only plays 1 round of golf a month now. Still has a mean game though.

The round.
Several hundred people followed Jack Nicklaus on the inaugural round. He was equipped with a microphone and speaker carts followed. He played from the back tee and on each tee he explained the design of the hole and the several ways to play it and where not to go with your tee shot.

Apart from the holes where you had to carry the ocean on your tee shot it looked like a generous course for the average golfer. Wide fairways and on several holes more than one option for landing your tee shot should suit golfers of all skills. And should you miss a fairway the ball should be easily found as not many trees, bushes or flower beds are found along the fairways.

If you do have a day where the golfing Gods are not exactly smiling at you, just take in the sights and you?ll be equally satisfied. The course is manicured to a degree I haven?t seen before. Not one straw point in the wrong direction or one grain of sand is askew in the bunkers. And the back drop of the ocean with its post card perfect colours will make you lose concentration more than once anyway.

The highlight of the round was the 223 yards par 3, 13th, which will certainly get its share of photos taken. Jack hit a 4-wood into the strong side wind and the ball rolled to the back fringe on the green. He made birdie on the following 12 meter putt.

Press conference.
1.jpg

Birdie putt on 6th.
2.jpg

View from 9th tee, you see 10th fairway plus 18th tee back right.
3.jpg

18th green.
4.jpg

Club Hosue.
5.jpg

Ariel View
6.jpg

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Mr. Pig, can you please rate it vis a vis other DR courses (i.e. Playa Grande, ToTD etc.) ...thank you.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Mr. Pig, can you please rate it vis a vis other DR courses (i.e. Playa Grande, ToTD etc.) ...thank you.
Ouuuuch!! Mr. Pib is a big fella I know & has probably put a bit of weight on since teaming up with a cooking godess, but Mr. PIG???? I look forward to his response about how it compares to Playa Grande or Guavaberry though!

Hey Bo, was that WATER I saw in the sand on picture 3?? An interesting combination if that IS the case!! How about a trip up to Santiago or Playa Grande soon?? ~ Grahame.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Mr Pig... hehehehe.

I'll let Bo give you the golfers perspective as he has played every course in the DR more than a few times. But... I hear on the golf grapevine it's rated as by far the best course right now in the DR.

Within 5 years the DR will have 10+ outstanding golf courses that will hold their own to the best in the world. This is fast becoming a golfers paradise, with the added advantage of low green fees and plenty of tee time availability :)

DR currently has 20 golf courses including Punta Espada. Maybe another 5-6 in planning or construction. Current list of DR courses, all info updated about 4-6 weeks ago:
Dominican Republic Golf Courses (DR1)

Last edited:

AmyInNY

Nov 6, 2006
re: Punta Espada

Hi Robert,

My husband and I will be at The Majestic in January. And for my husband, the whole point of vacation is golf. ;)

Thank you for your post! Can you tell me what the greens fees are at Punta Espada and if you know how far in advance tee times can be made?

Thanks!!
Amy

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Take a look at the link below. Contact details for the course etc are on the page.

Green fees:
1 Nov 2006- 31 May 2007 US$320 & 1 Jun - 31 Oct 2007 US$220. Includes green fees, cart fees, caddie fees, taxes, range balls, yardage booklet, scorecard, pencil, two bottles of water per player

Dominican Republic Golf Courses (DR1)

AmyInNY

Nov 6, 2006
thanks

Wow, thanks, Robert--that was fast!! :)

Yikes... $320... That's almost Pebble pricing! Sadly, I may have to send my husband on his own to that one...

Thanks for the quick replay and link!!
Amy

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
A winner

Punta Espada is the best looking course in the country right now. Even the holes not right next to the ocean are breathtaking. I'm really looking forward to playing it. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks.
I won't go anywhere near rating it to Playa Grande, Guavaberry, Dye Fore or Teeth of the Dog from a players point of view yet, but just from the looks of it, it's the winner. At a price of 18M US$ it damn well better be :paranoid:
The practice facilites are out of this world. I've never seen a driving range manicured like an Augusta fairway. Different flags marks various distances and there's enough room for the wayward first practice drive.

Grahame, it is a lake you see on the third picture. It runs along the the right side of the fairway on the par 4 10th hole. There's also a lake on the 15th par 5 which you have to play around to get to the green.

Mr Pig

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
This is fast becoming a golfers paradise, with the added advantage of low green fees and plenty of tee time availability
Green fees:
1 Nov 2006- 31 May 2007 US$320 & 1 Jun - 31 Oct 2007 US$220. Includes green fees, cart fees, caddie fees, taxes, range balls, yardage booklet, scorecard, pencil, two bottles of water per player
I can't afford these low greens fees.:ermm:

The most I like to spend on a greens fee would be around $100.
To me low would be around $50 which still ends up being well over $100 when all is said and done.

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I can't afford these low greens fees.:ermm:

The most I like to spend on a greens fee would be around $100.
To me low would be around $50 which still ends up being well over $100 when all is said and done.

If you LIVE here get a FedoGolf card, prices become approxomately 1/2 price!!:bunny: :bunny:

If you DON'T live here, negotiate for a FedoGolf card through someone that does!! ;) :pirate: ~ Grahame.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
If you DON'T live here, negotiate for a FedoGolf card through someone that does!! ;) :pirate: ~ Grahame.
I want to get in a couple of rounds in 2 weeks.
What sort of negotiations are we talking about here?;) :cheeky:
Playa Dorada lowered the summer rate to $40 which is pretty reasonable but the winter rate of $75 is a bit steep for that course when you add it all up.:ermm:
My buddy is not much of a golfer so I think I might just leave the clubs at home but I know I will be kicking myself being around the course all week without my clubs.
Last time I used the rentals and the woods were like fishing rods.
I will bring my clubs.:classic: :cool:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Two weeks doesn't give much time for organising things but give me a call when you get here & we'll see waht can be organised. If you want/need a golfing 'Fix' we can go to Santiago (a better course, more challenging) where a round of golf costs RD $1.200 (green fees AND buggy). Normally we play weekends but for going thirds on petrol .............

Hey, We might even be able to meet up with the illustrious Hillbilly!!

PM or e-mail me giving your travel details!! ~ Grahame.

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Golf arrangments

Hi guys,

As usual, here I am making golf plans for my husband,, ( I WANT HIM TO GET OUT THERE). Now more than ever since I just found out we will not see MommC and her Husband this coming January.

Now that I read your posts, I want to get something organized for Sunday Jan. 7th, I am thinking of Jarabacoa or Santiago, it can't be first thing in the morning as we are driving from Juan Dolio.

Hillbilly, Grahame,,,,, can I leave you this task as a X-mas project? I promise I will not play (not to worry about me keeping you behind;) )

Let me know

CB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Chiquitabanana!

Santiago or Jarabacoa! WOW! Let's fudge a bit with the dates and think maybe
Saturday? 6 Jan? Major play day for the kids, I know...

Okay, Sunday Jan 7. Juan Dolio-> Santiago

What time will you be leaving? We can play whenever you want....You can drive a cart!!

Tell you what> You plan the day, and we'll follow whatever you want to do.
I am speaking for BB, Alan and Meself.....

HB, anointed spokesperson for golf in the valley!

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Is a date!!

Hi guys,

Please try to adjust the schedule for Sunday 7th in Santiago or Jarabacoa, to us would be the same driving. I would rather go up to Jarabacoa to take advantage of the "mountainview" and weather.

We will be leaving JD around 6:30 Sunday morning, and with Bigbanana-happy-feet driving that should put us at either place at about 9 or 9:30 the latest.

Looking forward to see you again!!!!!:cool: :D

CB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Earl has left for the States, Jim Has gone back to St Croix (or will be on that day) so Alan & I should be available. Leaving Puerto Plata @ 07.30 we will be in Santiago for 08.45 - WE have a strong preference for Santiago as we prefer an 18 hole course to 2 x 9 hole version & we can happily do without the extra 45 minutes (minimum) each way on our journey. Jarabacoa in winter might also be a lot wetter underfoot! ~ Grahame.

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Santiago it is!!!!

My dear Grahame,

Santiago will be just fine.....location has no value when you are enjoying great company!!!!

Thank you very much for taking the time to come out and play.

CB