Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default looking for a mastiff or Rhodesian Ridge

Hi i am looking for a mastiff or Rhodesian Ridge back puppy or Young dog on the island Any suggestion's on where i can look...thanks in advances

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there was a guy that was going to start breeding mastiffs somewhere on the north coast. Do a search on mastiff here on DR1.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking for a guard dog that not only can put a whuppin' on a ridgeback or a pit bull (I know, my two Malinois were hammering 2 pit bulls when pulled off), is very protective of his "humans" and yet gentle, find a Belgian Malinois. They are also extensivly used by the Belgian army, Nato and the US Air Force as guard dogs. They weigh around 80lbs and are tan in color with black facial markings. When acquired as a young puppy of 6 to 8 weeks max, they will bond extremely well with their master. And if you find a litter of these dogs, let one in the litter come out and "pick" you. That's the one you take.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    If you're looking for a guard dog that not only can put a whuppin' on a ridgeback or a pit bull (I know, my two Malinois were hammering 2 pit bulls when pulled off), is very protective of his "humans" and yet gentle, find a Belgian Malinois. They are also extensivly used by the Belgian army, Nato and the US Air Force as guard dogs. They weigh around 80lbs and are tan in color with black facial markings. When acquired as a young puppy of 6 to 8 weeks max, they will bond extremely well with their master. And if you find a litter of these dogs, let one in the litter come out and "pick" you. That's the one you take.
    Are there Malinois in the DR?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

My remaining 6 yr old Malinois (1 was accidentally poisoned last year, my best dog,too) is half Malinois and half Dominican. There was a Dutch couple in Las Terrenas that had a pure bred but they have returned to the Netherlands. There probably are more here but you will just have to look around. After having many dogs all my life, this is undoubtedly one of the best.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Found on the net

Quote Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
    Hi i am looking for a mastiff or Rhodesian Ridge back puppy or Young dog on the island Any suggestion's on where i can look...thanks in advances
    More Rhodesian Ridgebacks: Ashante & Akira

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info/suggestion's, are Ashante & Akira still in Sosua
    their EM is codetel.net.do......not verizon.?
    I will keep you posted on progress but please post anymore info that will be helpfully

batich

Consider also Caucasian Mauntain Dog (aka Caucasian Dog aka Kavkazskaya Ovcharka).
    Try to find some reading in English if you can.

From my big experience - the best dog ever (for protection and as friend).
    But they are big 130-175 LB on average.

batich

Esquire Caucasians US Breed Founders (Kavkazskaya Ovcharka) 440-286-2374 Photo Gallery - Main Index - Powered by PhotoPost GMS

They are also called VOLKODAV - wolfkiller.

Grandfather of mine was famous in the mountains for killing over 100 wolves.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
    I forgot to mention to you the other day as we were speaking, that the "Friends Of Animals Of Sosua" are having a big event tomorrow in Sosua. I've asked them to send me the details so that I can post them and am waiting to receive them to do so.
    Surely you're best chance of locating one of the two breeds you are looking for, is by going to the event and asking around.
    Or.... I could suggest as others did, that you look for another breed.
    I think you should get a miniature killer poodle.
    Those things can kick a Malinois' arse from here to hell and back.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast