looking for a mastiff or Rhodesian Ridge

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
Hi i am looking for a mastiff or Rhodesian Ridge back puppy or Young dog on the island Any suggestion's on where i can look...thanks in advances

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I think there was a guy that was going to start breeding mastiffs somewhere on the north coast. Do a search on mastiff here on DR1.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
If you're looking for a guard dog that not only can put a whuppin' on a ridgeback or a pit bull (I know, my two Malinois were hammering 2 pit bulls when pulled off), is very protective of his "humans" and yet gentle, find a Belgian Malinois. They are also extensivly used by the Belgian army, Nato and the US Air Force as guard dogs. They weigh around 80lbs and are tan in color with black facial markings. When acquired as a young puppy of 6 to 8 weeks max, they will bond extremely well with their master. And if you find a litter of these dogs, let one in the litter come out and "pick" you. That's the one you take.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
If you're looking for a guard dog that not only can put a whuppin' on a ridgeback or a pit bull (I know, my two Malinois were hammering 2 pit bulls when pulled off), is very protective of his "humans" and yet gentle, find a Belgian Malinois. They are also extensivly used by the Belgian army, Nato and the US Air Force as guard dogs. They weigh around 80lbs and are tan in color with black facial markings. When acquired as a young puppy of 6 to 8 weeks max, they will bond extremely well with their master. And if you find a litter of these dogs, let one in the litter come out and "pick" you. That's the one you take.

Are there Malinois in the DR?

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
My remaining 6 yr old Malinois (1 was accidentally poisoned last year, my best dog,too) is half Malinois and half Dominican. There was a Dutch couple in Las Terrenas that had a pure bred but they have returned to the Netherlands. There probably are more here but you will just have to look around. After having many dogs all my life, this is undoubtedly one of the best.

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
thanks for the info/suggestion's, are Ashante & Akira still in Sosua
their EM is codetel.net.do......not verizon.?
I will keep you posted on progress but please post anymore info that will be helpfully :)

B

batich

Consider also Caucasian Mauntain Dog (aka Caucasian Dog aka Kavkazskaya Ovcharka).
Try to find some reading in English if you can.

From my big experience - the best dog ever (for protection and as friend).
But they are big 130-175 LB on average.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi i am looking for a mastiff or Rhodesian Ridge back puppy or Young dog on the island Any suggestion's on where i can look...thanks in advances
I forgot to mention to you the other day as we were speaking, that the "Friends Of Animals Of Sosua" are having a big event tomorrow in Sosua. I've asked them to send me the details so that I can post them and am waiting to receive them to do so.
Surely you're best chance of locating one of the two breeds you are looking for, is by going to the event and asking around.
Or.... I could suggest as others did, that you look for another breed.
I think you should get a miniature killer poodle.
Those things can kick a Malinois' arse from here to hell and back.;)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey Rocky, bring on the mini poodle. Jerry likes them,...the way they taste! LOL!!!!
I don't know if you remember the killer rabbitt in the Monty Python movie, the one that guarded the bridge, and would leap through the air and rip your throat out, well, the killer poodles eat those rabbitts as snacks.

PS: They say that the only dog that can kick a Ridgeback's arse, is another Ridgeback.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Rhodesian Ridgebacks available in Hato Mayor, bred by the grandmother I think, of the Barcelo family.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rhodesian Ridgebacks available in Hato Mayor, bred by the grandmother I think, of the Barcelo family.
WOW!
Do you have any contact info?
I used to do business with them, in the days of having a juicebar in Sosua.
The Barcelo family had a HUGE citrus farm out there.
I bet that if they have any Ridgebacks, that they are the type of people who would have top of the line healthy dogs.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
To interject I would like to recommend a Ridgeback as a guard dog. Three have been a member of my family in the past and when it comes to intelligence, devotion, fearlessness and trainability, they are above comparison, in my opinion. With the exception of trainability I would recommend a Jack Russel if they only came in the 80 lb. + category.

I saw an ad for Ridgeback puppies at Jennys in Costambar in Sept. and I believe there is a fine looking specimen among Rockys' pics.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
To interject I would like to recommend a Ridgeback as a guard dog. Three have been a member of my family in the past and when it comes to intelligence, devotion, fearlessness and trainability, they are above comparison, in my opinion. With the exception of trainability I would recommend a Jack Russel if they only came in the 80 lb. + category.

I saw an ad for Ridgeback puppies at Jennys in Costambar in Sept. and I believe there is a fine looking specimen among Rockys' pics.

They seem like wonderful dogs. But I have read that they don't bark. Is that so? - D

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Hello,

Sorry to stray a bit, but what are the regulations for taking dogs out of the DR to the states ? I know that Europe is asking for specified blood tests done only in the state of Kansas or Columbia (the country), and can take up to 4 months for results. Are the requirements the same for the states ?.

Thanks for any input and I will add that Ridgeback are the best !!
c

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hello,

Sorry to stray a bit, but what are the regulations for taking dogs out of the DR to the states ? I know that Europe is asking for specified blood tests done only in the state of Kansas or Columbia (the country), and can take up to 4 months for results. Are the requirements the same for the states ?.

Thanks for any input and I will add that Ridgeback are the best !!
c
Get in touch with Judy at the Pet Lodge (809-571-1176) for accurate info, or Doctor Bob (809-571-2286 or 3970)