First Time to the DR - Please Help Caribe Tour bus From Santo Domingo & Other Items

relax2day

Nov 10, 2006
First Time to the DR - Please Help Caribe Tour bus From Santo Domingo & Other Items

I am a newbie traveling on my first trip to the DR. Can anyone tell me the bus schedule to get from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata? How many buses leave each day? Their scheduled times and costs?

Also if you have any ideas on a decent place to stay in the Colonial Zone?

Finally, the costs from Santo Domingo airport to the Colonial Zone? And from the Colonial Zone to the bus station.

Thanks for any help anyone can give. Also you probably can tell I am new to this website (smile). My planned trip is from December 4 through December 11 of this year.

Again, thanks for your assistance.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Caribe Tours website has all the information you need.

Colonial Zone hotels vary from seedy to luxury (Hotel Frances, Hostal Nicolas de Ovando). In the middle range you have places like Doña Elvira, Hotel Europa and several others. Search the forums and all will be revealed!

Taxis inside the city are RD$120 unless you get a tourist taxi outside the hotel or in certain spots in the Colonial Zone.

Taxis from the airport are about RD$800 or US$25.

Make sure you agree on a fare before setting off, and have the exact change.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
In case you are Spanish challenged, here are the hours of Departure from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata.
6:00 7:00 8:00 9:00 10:00 11:00 AM & 12:00 1:00 2:00 3:00 4:00 5:00 6:00 7:00 PM

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Not sure about price to Puerto Plata since I buy a ticket to Sosua. To Sosua is RD$270, so less than that to Puerto Plata.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Take the Metro bus to Puerta Plata it is quicker and better. You can get it off of Churchill. Or just take a cab. But the price is more, it is 300 RD. For about one or two dollars more you will get there quickly. You will be left off near the Bournigal Clinic in Puerta Plata.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Relax2day,

Welcome to DR1, your 'everything you ever wanted to know about the DR' message board.

The two bus lines, both Metro and Caribe Tours, go to PP and the Metro is a little more expensive then Caribe. I have used Caribe Tours for the same route you wish to take and it was nice and comfortable with A/C. The choice is yours.

I would request that after you get back home that you sit down in your spare time and give us a trip report. We have the "Trip Report" forum for that purpose. Just tell us how your transportation went plus a report on where you stayed and the services they provided for you. We like to keep abreast as to how their food and services are to those that wish to visit or little corner of the world.

Good luck and we know you will enjoy your stay. Any other questions that you may have just post away.

Rick