info on dogs in the DR

courtney.khan

Sep 28, 2006
i am moving to the DR in april of next year and i am going to be getting a puppy. i was wondering what kinds of breeds are common down there. and is there anything i should know in particular about the care of them. any help ould be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance guys.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There are all sorts of breeds available here.
It's not quite as easy as in the industrialized nations, to just go out and buy one, but there is quite a selection.
What area are you moving to?
From that, we can recommend someone in your area to give you the info you need.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you have a good heart...

if you want to do some good i suggest you ingonre breed and pick up a puppy from the vet. people leave their dog's offspring there to be adopted. it will be a mestizo (mongrel) but it will love you just as much...
make sure ypu get it vaccinated and de-wormed (or whatever it is called in english).
good luck with your move and good luck with you dog!

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
I own a Dalmation and a Boxer both purchased from a vet locally in the Cabarete area. Other breeds I was offerred and I think are pretty common are Rottweiler, Doberman and German Shepherd. As for care: Watch out for ticks (garapatas) especially if you are in an area where there are horses. I lost a 10 week old Rottwieler puppy to Tetanus contracted from a single tick bite. Good luck.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have Great Dane, Pit bull, Shah pei. All common. Need rabies shots here. best sort of dogs are ones who make a lot of noise and kill burglars. Vets are expensive here compared to UK.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There are many vets and some pet stores.
You can get in touch with Judy, at Judy's Pet lodge when you get here.
She often has dogs for sale or adoption.

katira57

Sep 12, 2006
i HAVE A FRIEND THAT HAS 4 EIGHT WEEK OLD SHAR PEI, AND ANOTHER FRIEND WHICH HAS 7 CANE CORSO, THESE DOGS ARE THE CORSOS IN SANTIAGO AND THE SHAR PEI IN SANTO DOMINGO IT ALL DEPENDS WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR