Success In Selling Household Items

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Anyone here have success in selling their household items when leaving the country? If so how did you go about this and did you have to almost give it all away or did you get okay prices?

I was thinking with so many people coming here to live, one would not have a problem selling good quality furniture, etc.

Thanks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A friend of mine did this earlier this year - after deciding to sell absolutely everything, she made a price list with photos of some of the items, shown to their best advantage. She sent it to all her friends, requesting that they pass it on to all their contacts.

I bought about RD$15,000 worth of stuff - the prices were very reasonable - and several of my friends bought some things from them as well.

cuas

May 29, 2006
A friend of mine do that for a living (second income) but she lives in SD.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Typically, the items have to be well priced for them to sell.
Just spreading the word around the neighbourhood, usually does the trick.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
That is how I have helped others I know sell when leaving. I just put the word out amongst those I know.

My experience is that those leaving almost always have an over exagerated idea of what their stuff is worth!

I have friends right now in need of several items: double bed, fridge, bookshelf, small kitchen table and chairs and sofa/bed.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My friend priced things well - she was swamped with buyers and sold practically everything. She held a garage sale for the last few odds and ends that were left over on their last weekend in the DR.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I was thinking I would make a big effort to get the word out....then I will have a sell over a month period. The items will have a regressing price scale as time progresses over that month. So first week will be one price and second week a lesser price. At the end if it doesnt sell then I have people I will simply give it to...people who are less fortunate but who showed me some amount of kindness while I was here.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I was thinking I would make a big effort to get the word out....then I will have a sell over a month period. The items will have a regressing price scale as time progresses over that month. So first week will be one price and second week a lesser price. At the end if it doesnt sell then I have people I will simply give it to...people who are less fortunate but who showed me some amount of kindness while I was here.
You leaving us, Snuff?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
That is the plan provided all goes well with my wifes visa sometime in March or April. I will let you all know when it is a sure thing.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Rocky, The heat here kills my health. I have talked about this several times here. I also have let it be known that I was on the fence here...that I was waiting for my wifes visa...and that I had many things about the place I disliked. If I were making this my home I would have by now started a business of some sort. Now my daughter is approaching 5 and I really have to consider her education amongst other things. It is a very complicated decision as there is good and bad on both sides.

But I admire all those who have successfully made this their home. It is hard work. You gotta love the place.

katira57

Sep 12, 2006
i SOLD EVERYTHING IN MY HOUSE IN THREE DAYS, THE BEST WAY IS TO GIVE COMISSION TO SOMEONE THAT KNOWS HER WAY AROUND.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Robert, if I understand you correctly...you are giving me free advertising?

LOL....just kidding.

Yes...I will probably use your classifieds as I respect your business. I would never attempt to sidestep you.

I'm not ready to go just yet...as they push me out the door. But I will let everyone know.