Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Success In Selling Household Items

Anyone here have success in selling their household items when leaving the country? If so how did you go about this and did you have to almost give it all away or did you get okay prices?

I was thinking with so many people coming here to live, one would not have a problem selling good quality furniture, etc.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine did this earlier this year - after deciding to sell absolutely everything, she made a price list with photos of some of the items, shown to their best advantage. She sent it to all her friends, requesting that they pass it on to all their contacts.

I bought about RD$15,000 worth of stuff - the prices were very reasonable - and several of my friends bought some things from them as well.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine do that for a living (second income) but she lives in SD.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Typically, the items have to be well priced for them to sell.
    Just spreading the word around the neighbourhood, usually does the trick.

.............. ?
    Post Thanks / Like

That is how I have helped others I know sell when leaving. I just put the word out amongst those I know.

My experience is that those leaving almost always have an over exagerated idea of what their stuff is worth!

I have friends right now in need of several items: double bed, fridge, bookshelf, small kitchen table and chairs and sofa/bed.

Post Thanks / Like

My friend priced things well - she was swamped with buyers and sold practically everything. She held a garage sale for the last few odds and ends that were left over on their last weekend in the DR.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking I would make a big effort to get the word out....then I will have a sell over a month period. The items will have a regressing price scale as time progresses over that month. So first week will be one price and second week a lesser price. At the end if it doesnt sell then I have people I will simply give it to...people who are less fortunate but who showed me some amount of kindness while I was here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    I was thinking I would make a big effort to get the word out....then I will have a sell over a month period. The items will have a regressing price scale as time progresses over that month. So first week will be one price and second week a lesser price. At the end if it doesnt sell then I have people I will simply give it to...people who are less fortunate but who showed me some amount of kindness while I was here.
    You leaving us, Snuff?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

That is the plan provided all goes well with my wifes visa sometime in March or April. I will let you all know when it is a sure thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    That is the plan provided all goes well with my wifes visa sometime in March or April. I will let you all know when it is a sure thing.
    What can I say?
    I hope life takes you where you want to go, sorry to see you go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast