Sosua. Luperon School. B/b court repair.

B

batich

Sometime ago I posted a question about an acceptable basketball court in Sosua that I could use for some kind of a basketball clinic or maybe even a programme for local kids.

The only close thing found was a b/b court in the Luperon School (across from Casa Marina).
But not currently useable as both rims are missing. I spoke to some school officials and they told me that kids hang on rims and break them.

Structures themselves seem to be solid and I want to try to repair the boards.

For this I want to buy in USA two high quality heavy duty spring-loaded rims and to install on the boards.

With spring-load rims even Shaqill O`Neal can hang on them and they return to their normal state without breaking.

Also I will buy some good basketballs and nets and plan to teach kids at least how to shoot.

This I will do with my own funds.

But to use the court for more or less normal activities like week-end clinics or a b/b camp more work is needed - to repair the surface (ideally replacing one with a special surface for outdoor courts that is durable and safe to use).

If some people are willing to join me with their funds or some construction companies would do it for free - it can be done at the same time.

If anybody is interested, please PM or email me.

I plan to do this project in mid-February - beginning of March.

I`d like to ask Forum owners to make this thread sticky until the end of February so that people could know about the project and could participate if interested.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
batich, there are a lot of people doing good work and I do not like to single out some efforts only. So, no sticky this time, but, a lot of good luck from me to you with this effort. About the surface of the court .. is it not possible that some of the neighborhood kids can assist with this surfacing? Even if you have a less than perfect surface to start with, if the kids assist, they will be more of a part of the project and not just the recipients.

B

batich

It is sort of concrete with big sq. footage and cannot be done by do-it-youreslves (and of course not children!).

Must be construction workers with experience working with concrete. If not done the right way it won`t be smooth and even and won`t last long.

In b/b with lots of accelerations and stops and changes of direction and lateral moves even small imperfection on the surface will cause injury very easy.

Without surface of decent quality a normal practice or game are out of the question.