what do i need to bring to DR to open an USD acct.

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
anticipating that it will come in handy in the future, I decided to open a USD bank account on my next trip to DR.

1. can you guys tell me what I need to bring from the US to open it.

2. what banks do you guys recommend

Thank you

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Banco Popular has served me well. Only needed a passport to open there. Have both a dollar and a peso savings account. The dollar account pays very bad interest so is not the place to hold money if the idea is to acquire money from interest.

Rick

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
You need your passport and a letter of introduction from your bank back home in the US helps make the process go smother.

Bob K

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
Please just cash and a passport are enough , you do not ask a favor please avoid the "'letter of introduction". It is a joke you are the boss you do not need anything else.
Progreso is fine but investigate if any cost when you withdraw money...
P.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
I opened an account with Banco BHD all the wanted was a passport.
Banco Leon wanted passport only.
BAnco Progresso wanted passport and letter of reference from your bank.

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
Now you have me totally confused, just 5 minutes ago you said you successfully wired US funds to The DR!

Please tell me you did not wire funds to a Real Estate seller's account?

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/55617-transfering-large-amount-dr-w-out-audit-5.html

let me de-confuse you...lol

i did in fact transfer the money, just that the account is not mines but that of a family member who is taking care of business for me. after doing this, I figured I might as well open my own.

hope that clarifies things

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
Banco Popular has served me well. Only needed a passport to open there. Have both a dollar and a peso savings account. The dollar account pays very bad interest so is not the place to hold money if the idea is to acquire money from interest.

Rick

definitely not for the interest.
just so that i have a local account when I travel there or any business related need I may have

B

batich

to me a lady at banco popular next to baily`s said - passport and residence card.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
More Wrong Information Batich!

You DO NOT need residency to open a bank account in DR.

B

batich

I suppose you need a Cedula also for the "Member's menu" @ La Roca as well!

I did not eat at La Roca recently. A friend of mine did.
I have my proven favourite places.

But thank you for the advice anyway!

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I have an account at Popular, U$ 200 cash (maybe less) and Passport (from any country) is all you need.

Proof of residency, letters of "good conduct" from your home bank etc may be required only if you want something beyond the checking/saving account... like getting a CC card, line of credit, loan etc. For a normal account you none of this is required.