inter island travel

Rescue_1

Nov 11, 2006
First time to Punta Cana in Feb, '07 but we want to travel the island, I understand their aren't many road in/ out from there. We wanted to travel to Puerto Plata, Samana & Santa Domingo any suggestions? Air, Bus ? Cost? any info is appreciated, Thanks

Last edited:

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
First time to Punta Cana in Feb, '07 but we want to travel the island, I understand their aren't many road in/ out from there. We wanted to travel to Puerto Plata, Samana & Santa Domingo any suggestions? Air, Bus ? Cost? any info is appreciated, Thanks

From Punta cana you can fly to puerto plata and santo domingo with caribair. I forget the prices around $80 eachway I think. Bus is the cheapest way possible. Santo domingo wil not be that far. However from punta cana to puerto plata by bus os like around 7 to 8 hours. Good luck with your journey.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Island hoping

If you really want to see the island and you're staying in Punta Cana here's what I would do.

1) Take the bus (caribe tours) Punta Cana / Santo Domingo. Stay in Santo Domingo' Colonial Zone and see the sites.

2) Take the bus (caribe tours) Santo Domingo / Sosua. Stay in Sosua or Cabarete and make that your base for the north coast.

3) I would advise to rent a car in Sosua/Puerto Plata and then drive to Samana.

4) Take the flight from Puerto Plata back to Punta Cana. Go to:
Home to book the flight to Punta Cana.

Have fun and be safe. Peace out.

A

apostropheman

wow, looks like the prices have really increased. i flew with takeoff last january from POP to PUJ and the fare was $119 USD and now they're asking $149! last time i looked, within 8 weeks i think, it was $129.

i know fuel prices are high but...:ermm:

on the same trip i landed at PUJ and took the bus the next morning. i stayed overnight in Higuey, caught the 1st bus at about 5:00am and was at Rocky's shortly after 1:00pm having gone thru Santo Domingo, Santiago, Puerto Plata, etc...

bus travel in the DR is very inexpensive and can be a lot of fun!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Jolly Busride

...bus travel in the DR is very inexpensive and can be a lot of fun!

Indeed.

2rro3ue.jpg

m'frog

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Thread hijack....but why does it always seem like when I see a bus accident....

....that it seems to be "Caribe Tours" and not "Metro".

Must be due to the more extensive coverage of the island.....certainly the bus drivers can't be less experienced than those driving for Metro.....