The tides. (Long post)

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
While "locals" are familiar with tides and their possible dangers, visitors may not. This gives a brief explanation of the mechanisms causing tides and how to avoid hazardous situations when exploring unfamiliar beaches in remote areas. This post is triggered by my seeing two tourists with a rented vehicle getting into a potentially dangerous situation on a remote beach on the north coast. They narrowly escaped with their vehicle only by means of two horses owned by locals who freed the vehicle trapped by quicksand and a rising tide.
Because the Earth spins on its' axis twice a day, each day there are two periods each of high and low water. Between these peaks and troughs, the ocean rises for about six hours from low to high water, then six hours to reach low water. During the rising tide, the rate is uneven.... the first one third takes two hours. The next one third takes only one hour and the final one third takes three hours. When the tide is going out, the reverse is true.
If one is considering beach exploration by foot or using a 4x4vehicle, it is important to remember that the mid-range rising tide is the fastest.
In this way, one can avoid being trapped by a rising tide between two promontories and unscalable cliffs.
The height of the tide depends on the phases of the Moon. At "New" and "Full" Moon, the Earth, Sun & Moon lie in almost a straight line so gravity is strong and the tides will have a big range.
Twice a year, on the 21st of March and on the 21st of September, the tides are at a maximum as the Earth, Moon and Sun are perfectly aligned.
Weather conditions such as strong winds can enhance/reduce the height of a rising tide.
Before exploring unfamiliar beaches, become aware of potential problems by talking to knowledgeable locals, so you know about the tides and even about arenas movedizas (quicksand). Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Canadian Bob.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
On an otherwise interesting post just a little correction.

"Because the Earth spins on its axis twice a day"
It actually spins a round once every 24 hours that makes a day.

The Earth's Rotation

Btw Bob I think your post are always helpful and sankie free.lol:cheeky:

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
On an otherwise interesting post just a little correction.

"Because the Earth spins on its axis twice a day"
It actually spins a round once every 24 hours that makes a day.

The Earth's Rotation

Btw Bob I think your post are always helpful and sankie free.lol:cheeky:

Thanks A.H. for the correction. Also, I just couldn't figure out how to include the ever-popular sankie stuff in this particular post! Canadian Bob.

Sep 19, 2005
but isnt it true that the tides down in the dr seldom are more than a few feet? usually about 2 feet.....so unless a person is walking through an area that takes them above waist high water the extra 2 foot wouldnt be such a problem.... the CURRENT running through and area that is very large ( especially running OUT) can be the biggest danger of DR tides.....

this is as ooposed to tides in places like Maine that run around 10-12 feet.......

A vehicle on sand is a whole other set of possible problems in addition to tides.

if i am mistaken about the hieght of the tides, please let me know

thanks
bob

G

gary short

I would think that when someone refers to dangerous tides in that latitude they're referring to a rip tide and not the current that is generated by tides in the northern climes.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Gary! Rip currents are a whole other problem. In general, they are only dangerous if you try to swim against them, which is impossible. The best bet is to try to swim across the current, or conserve your energy, allowing the rip current to sweep you out, then it swings around back towards the beach & you can swim back.
It really depends on the bottom topography. The worst scenario is being swept out past the reef in a rip current on an outgoing tide. I only swim in the ocean when the tide is coming in. I learned to swim in the Atlantic ocean in Cornwall, England, where big surf is common & there are no reefs. A common problem here is with weak/non-swimmers on flotation devices like rubber boats getting swept out into deep water & panic setting in, also many drownings in the DR are associated with young folks & alcohol.
Bob, I stand to be corrected on this, but I believe the height of the tides are more/less the same, except where tidal bores happen regularly (each rising tide) simply because of bottom topography & coastline configuration. Lets ask some other readers about this. Thanks! Canadian Bob

Sep 19, 2005
hey Bob it looks like even at the fall moon tide in september when the tide can be at its greatest( out side of weather factors) the tide is only 2.9 feet.. And the rest of the year it runs less than a few feet.

Tide Tables

Bob

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
hey Bob it looks like even at the fall moon tide in september when the tide can be at its greatest( out side of weather factors) the tide is only 2.9 feet.. And the rest of the year it runs less than a few feet.

Tide Tables

Bob

Thanks! You must be correct...Latitude must make a huge difference Canadian Bob.