some , good, things are actually cheaper in the DR!

A

apostropheman

Instead of staying in a hotel i have been staying at a friend's house.:bunny: unfortunately there was no coffee pot. we went shopping and i found a basic 6 cup stovetop expresso pot. in canada the same style ranges from $25, online, to $40 and up. i found one in plaza lama for less than 300 pesos that looks almost exactly like this!
zaccardis_1921_912242

it makes wonderful coffee and if you're more careful than i you may not even melt the handle:surprised

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
those are great

I have found lots of things are less expensive-some clothing, electronics (some), but not footwear ouch.

A

apostropheman

those are great

I have found lots of things are less expensive-some clothing, electronics (some), but not footwear ouch.
definately not shoes. that, combined with general clothing and underwear/lingerie, is a top 3 requested item along with perfume/cologne and general household goods.

some clothes are a reasonable price in the DR like dress shirts and some jeans but i still get a lot of requests to bring clothes from canada....for newer styles perhaps.

what electronics are you finding to be cheaper in the DR?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I bought one of those for the fiance's mother, who had one that was worn flat out and leaked. You woulda thought I gave her a bag of gold nuggets.

BTW-soem of the worst shoes (poor quality and construction) I have ever seen are on the feet of Dominicans. I found that really good footwear is seriously expensive.

A

apostropheman

I bought one of those for the fiance's mother, who had one that was worn flat out and leaked. You woulda thought I gave her a bag of gold nuggets.

BTW-soem of the worst shoes (poor quality and construction) I have ever seen are on the feet of Dominicans. I found that really good footwear is seriously expensive.
good shoes generally are expensive but i haven't seen any really good shoes generally available in the DR. then again i haven't done that much shopping there but still. my dominican friends seem to have particularly good taste in shoes or atleast are well aware of the major brands. i don't even wear shoes that nice at home:cheeky:

A

apostropheman

i'm a pretty simple guy as my friends will attest and the joy of a good, inexpensive, coffee pot made my trip...much to their amusement:cheeky:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes those espresso coffee makers are cheaper if you don't get the name brand. I've found them for as little as $15 in Canada for a small one ( 4 cups) but 300 pesos is a great price for sure. ;)

A

apostropheman

Yes those espresso coffee makers are cheaper if you don't get the name brand. I've found them for as little as $15 in Canada for a small one ( 4 cups) but 300 pesos is a great price for sure. ;)
i have to find a local restaurant supply store i think. i haven't found one in a mall under $40:bunny:

B

batich

Even three-four years ago one could buy practically anything in DR without looking at the price or go at any restaurante without looking at the menu, this cheap used to be everything.

A friend of mine J***yDR was able to build a home for his sweetheart for around $25G if I am not mistaken, including everything.

People began going to DR en mass only because it was a very cheap place to live or to have vacation.

What happens now - is that greed of dominican business owners and enterpreneurs is killing attractiveness of the country for foreigners. It may have undesirable consequences for many and not easy to correct and to regain the reputation of a cheap destination.

In fact in one country with alot of new money it is much more difficult now to persuade people to buy and invest in DR than two years ago. Because of sakyrocketed prices only.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
what electronics are you finding to be cheaper in the DR?[/QUOTE]

Well, nothing too expansive but the price of cell phones dropped by half in about six months.
Some places for sound equipment, some stereos, and other smaller items if you know where to shop.

Clothing I found cheaper there in most cases. Perfume and good chocolate better here from Canada. (but why would I ever bring those things? :cheeky: )

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Good chocolate? What? Where?

Just so you newbies all know. Much of what you see out there is a knockoff, a reject, a water down, a recycle, a placebo. So be alert.

A guy finds a deal on empty labeled bottles of a good perfume...in a warehouse in the USA. He buys it dirt cheap, ships it here, fills with with a knockoff and sells it to perfume stores who know it isnt real but sell it as such. This kind of thing happens all the time here. It happens with medicines and foodstuff also. So be careful out there.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
oops, meant that the good chocolate I bring from Canada.
And you must be right about the fakes.
I am always amazed at the ingenuity (sp?) and the large amount of work they (Dominicano's) to make money.

ha Im finally going to be back in two weeks.
Who wants some chocolate now? ha (I guess not Hershey's though huh- I mean eh?)

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
There are deals here.................Puerto Plata.

I have a Motorola Razor cell phone a friend brought me from the States, I could only get it activated with Orange and I'm not happy with the service.

Last week I was having an Ice cream cone in the park with two friends and I saw a Verizon booth and wandered over.
They had Sprint (Sanyo) cell phones dual band priced at 600 Pesos (US. $18.00) activated with a 450 Peso credit in phone (Inc.)
That's 150 Pesos (US $4.50) phone only. All three of us bought one.
I'm not stupid I know the phone's have been refurbished...........So What?

The phone fits nicely in my pocket along with my Razor cell and I now have Orange and Verizon service.