Excursions - help please ????

Steve&Lou

Oct 16, 2006
Booked with Thomsons in the UK - they have several excursions in their brochure but can't tell us in the UK how much they are (except that they vary from $30 to $180 .... not much help !!) and we'd like to know how much extra money to bring ......

Can anyone tell us how much the Thomsons Excursions are and whether there are any 'local' recommended alternatives? (or different recommended trips ....?)

They are in the brochhure as :
Ocean World
Saona adventure
Marinarium
Monster truck safari
and Kontiki

Thanks for any help .....

Steve and Louise

carolina_22

May 31, 2004
Hello to both of you!

The rate that I am giving you are not the Thompson rates but another tour operator rates. It varies from a company to another but it should be around those prices. Upon arrival, you should check that with your representative.

Ocean World: ??
Saona adventure: there are many saona tours, the one I know was 92$
Marinarium: 78$
Monster truck safari: 87$
and Kontiki : 62$

the rates are in US$
Hope it helps
Carolina

Steve&Lou

Oct 16, 2006
Thanks!!!

Thanks Carolina ...... gives us a great idea of 'scale'

We're there for a month so will probably try most of them ..........

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Most likely, tours will be available from local tour operators, at a cheaper price.
However, I do not know that for sure, and it depends very much on where you are staying.
If you are in a complex like Playa Dorada, for instance, it may be inconvenient for you to get out to go shopping for better deals.
If you are in Sosua, then it would be simple.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
agree with rocky. there are plenty of tour operators around, just ask. some excursions are worth buying with big tour companies as they provide insurance, advisable when you have kids... also, try to haggle a bit. if you want to stay here for a month and do lots of trips try to big tour operator, book few trips in advance and you may get a discount.

as to ocean world.
.:: Ocean World ::.
will give you all the info you need.
have fun!

carolina_22

May 31, 2004
Being a Representative for a big tour operator, and Im sure all reps would agree, we work hard to make sure that all clients' stay is pleasable, if they have any kind of problem at the hotel or anything, WE are there to fix it. We take care of their transportation hotel/airport...everything. But then a lot of them book with cheaper tour companies at the hotel or on the beach, just for a couple of dollars less, most of the time we hear back problems that our clients had on their excursion. Im not going to hide it, we do make commission on these trips we sell like everyone selling trips, but not to defend my job, but after seeing so many problems with those tour cies, you better off booking with your tour operator, at least you know it's good + you have insurance!!!

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
It's all relative. The tour I did to Saona Island through a tour rep was no better, nor more insured than the one that I did through an established dive shop. Check out the equipment so you know what you're dealing with and do your research dictated by more than a few dollars. To say "at least you know it's good" isn't really a guarantee that it will be good on your day and "you have insurance" makes it sound like the others don't. It is a highly monitored area of the government. Some of the one man shows can be getting away with things. An established organization is less likely to be.

Kaki

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
Tour operators book only certain tours, on certain days..

I flew with Apple Vacations and signed up for the Saona Island day trip.
My Apple rep called me later that evening and realized the tour did not operate on the day I had signed up for.. I had to find someone else to book the tour for me and they told me that they would only do it since Apple did not offer it on the day I could go.

Tracy

Aug 19, 2004
If you are staying there for four weeks try and do some independent trips. Companies like Thompsons make a point of suggesting the country is dangerous (when it isn't) to ensure you go on their tours thereby increasing their profits and commission.

Santo Domingo specifically the Zona Colonial is well worth a visit with plenty to see + good restraunts, cafes and bars + art galleries, museums etc.. (A real contrast from Punta Cana) There are direct buses between PC and SD. From SD Caribe Tour buses could also take you to the North coast - Puerta Plata, Sosua or Samana.

The Rough Guide and/or Lonely Planet have good guides to the country.