Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: firewalls

apostropheman

Thumbs up firewalls

should i be using one?

apparantly i can setup my wireless router as a firewall but not sure if it's necessary.

i used to use a 3rd party firewall, like zone alaem, but found most of them to be a hassle and or resource hogs with no apparant benefit.

can anyone recommend a good, free and transparant one?

i regularly use ad-aware and spybot as well as AVG-free antivirus and anti-spyware and have had no problems with intrusions or viruses lately.
    i also keep winXP's firewall active.

also if there is a better place on DR1 for computer/software questions like this please direct me to it.

thanks.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Computer Software Forum - Windows - GIDForums

Computer Hardware Software Forum - Consumer Electronics - Dev Hardware

Zone Alarm is the pits, it leaves a file in registry if you uninstall and keeps looking for it on boot, a big job to get rid of boot up errors

Tucows Downloads - Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6 Freeware Software

for Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6, works real good
    Last edited by Hlywud; 11-12-2006 at 01:16 PM.

apostropheman

excellent!

thank you.

just installed sygate and so far so good.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

keep your xp firewall running also, more protection

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My Opinion on Firewalls

Quote Originally Posted by apostropheman View Post
    should i be using one?

apparantly i can setup my wireless router as a firewall but not sure if it's necessary.

i used to use a 3rd party firewall, like zone alaem, but found most of them to be a hassle and or resource hogs with no apparant benefit.

can anyone recommend a good, free and transparant one?

i regularly use ad-aware and spybot as well as AVG-free antivirus and anti-spyware and have had no problems with intrusions or viruses lately.
    i also keep winXP's firewall active.

also if there is a better place on DR1 for computer/software questions like this please direct me to it.

thanks.
    Hello apostopheman. Anyone who is sharp enough to even ask the question already knows the answer. Yes, you should be using a firewall because you must have control over who's dipping into your computer and who your computer is connecting to. Unfortunately there are a lot of nasty people in the world and they will do harm to you and your computer simply because they can.
    I am very surprised that you would think that ZoneAlarm is a hassle. Most people find that it is very active at first, but within a short period it calms down as it learns you internet habits. ZoneAlarm does not tax your computer's resource's either. Go back to ZoneAlarm. It's one of the best available, and as you know...it's free. Once you re-install ZoneAlarm you can then turn off Windows firewall if you are concerned about resources.
    Windows firewall is weak in that it only monitor's incoming traffic and will not stop programs installed on your computer from calling back to the "mother ship".
    Ad-aware, Spybot and AVG-free antivirus are all good programs but they don't catch everything. If you are able, buy Norton Internet Security, that's the best way to avoid all internet threats.

apostropheman

Talking

Azabache,

thank you for your opinion but i must strongly disagree about both norton products in general and zone alarm.

i have monitored my resources using both and they radically slow my computer by themselves and used together i suddenly have a tortoise

my computers are relatively new:

dual core centrino laptop purchased in march and an AMD athlon 64 300+ desktop both with 1 gig ram.

basic software applications should not noticeably slow these down yet norton AV and zone alarm do.

i am not the only one i know to experience this and it is much more dramatic on older machines. i know atleast 6 of my friends that have noted a dramatic overall improvement in speed just by uninstalling norton AV and using AVG Free instead.

since installing sygate 5.6 as a firewall i have not noticed a significant difference in performance of my computer. the same cannot be said for norton internet security suite which i have used nor zone alarm.

perhaps your computer is so new and powerful that it makes no noticeable difference in performance?
    Last edited by apostropheman; 11-12-2006 at 04:04 PM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I too have scrapped Norton and it leaves a file savrt.??? in the registry which is a bitch to get out, I use the Sygate 5.6 and never have seen a slow down in fact my speed test have shown an incredible increase since dumping that expensive Software.

For anti virus I use a new one from Germany that works beautifully and is free for personal use Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic, it can be downloaded here AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic - More than Security

there is a lot of free software that does work, it catches spyware also quicker than any adaware program I have ever used.

apostropheman

Question

antivir was recently recommended to me and i tried it but...apparantly with the free "demo" version it will not alow you to update and has other limitations. i'm happily back with AVG.

i wonder if i'm not installing antivir correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hlywud View Post
    I too have scrapped Norton and it leaves a file savrt.??? in the registry which is a bitch to get out, I use the Sygate 5.6 and never have seen a slow down in fact my speed test have shown an incredible increase since dumping that expensive Software.

For anti virus I use a new one from Germany that works beautifully and is free for personal use Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic, it can be downloaded here AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic - More than Security

there is a lot of free software that does work, it catches spyware also quicker than any adaware program I have ever used.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Forget about spywares, malwares & viruses : dump Windows and go for Linux :

Get some info here : DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

try this one, it's really easy to set up : PCLinuxOS: Welcome

And, yes, all Norton products totally suck, they will sloooowwww down your system, and won't protect any better than the cheapo/free stuff... Just dump Windows altogether !

apostropheman

thanks squat! i'm working on the linux but still like windows for some things. do i need wine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast