Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yet another ex pat murder

Last night in Juan Dolio an old italian man, Antonio was murdered in his house. He was late 70s, and only returned from Canada for the winter yesterday. Police as usual are saying he had an argument with someone as they don't want to admit the scale of the problem here - he was the sweetest old man you could ever want to meet. If I get more info I will let you know.

Matilda

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny! What about all these big signs in Juan Dolio saying "Seguridad Democratica - Juan Dolio tambien es seguro."?
    Looks like LF's new police state doesn't actually work out.
    What a surprise!

P.S.: BTW 3 weeks ago a Haitian guy known as "Pesao" was also murdered there, by trashing his head with a spiked club. Nothing was stolen from him, they only wanted to kill him.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It's bad that these things are ocurring, but I think we need to separate a little bit random murders vs. people that are being killed because of personal issues that they've had with someone. It sound like this is the case with most the ex-pats I've heard of lately...

The big problem in my mind is impunity and the fact that even though police always seem to catch someone and blame them for the murder it is not always clear that they caught the right person...

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

The police always say that it was a personal issue - to save them having to look bad. When I was shot they decided it was my ex husband who I have had no contact with for years and who is happily remarried in England. This was a robbery pure and simple. I used to know all of the Haitians and Dominicans who live near me in 'el monte'. Antonio lived 2 minutes away. Now there are so many new people I know none of them. Most have come for the construction work. we are talking hundreds, not just a few. They set up their casitas in el monte. Opposite where Antonio lived is a lovely house which was a private residence. It is now a brothel, bar, disco and place for comida and is full of Haitians mostly, every night. It appears that Antonio was killed with a baseball bat or similar, rather than shot. The problem is that the police do nothing, but may arrest someone as suarezn says not necessarily the right person. The guys they arrested for shooting me were let out after 3 weeks as one has a part time canadian girlfriend and she paid 27,000 RD$ to the fiscal/police and they let them go, then lied to say they had someone else. I have no idea what the solution is apart from just try and improve personal security.

batich

To a fresh ex-pat who came to DR just a month ago I gave the following advice:

1. Be in gated ex-pat community only. You`ll see the same faces that you were trying to get rid of when you left for DR, but at least anyone who walks around and who looks differently will be very visiable.

2. Keep VERY low profile so that local people do not know about your existence. If doing any business - only with US or Europe via Internet, not with local community.

3.Do not open a local bank account as your personal financial info will leack right away to wrong people.
    Same applies to local lawyers (on exception of Mr.Guzman of course!!)

4. If possible, live without a car as being a gringo and driving a car in DR - means looking for trouble. Sooner or later. With your fault or without. Or at most - a very cheap one, to look very poor.

5. Keep close relations with two-three persons only, whom and whose background you know well. Especially be extra carefull about people who speak English. Most of them have lots of brilliant business ideas but no money in the wallet.

6. No matter what people offer you to buy and at what price - say " It is great, but I have no money".

7. Ideally, rent for two-three years. Think of buying ANYTHING only after that.

Better to be extra careful than dead.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Boy, that is a wonderful way to live. Good luck.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

We used to walk from one end of Juan Dolio nearly every day.
    Now we walk a maximum of three blocks in either direction from our condo.
    Matilda....was Antonio the guy from Hamilton who has a son named Joey??
    We're having trouble placing who he was (but think that may be him as he was the only Italo-Canadian we knew by that name).
    All the other Antonio's we know are from Italy.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    Boy, that is a wonderful way to live. Good luck.
    Isn't it ever? I would go along with batich's 7) but the whole post gets over a seige mentality which I feel has to be challenged because it is misinformation.

I am all in favour of being smart and careful. I am not in favour of being paranoid.

batich

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    Isn't it ever? I would go along with batich's 7) but the whole post gets over a seige mentality which I feel has to be challenged because it is misinformation.

I am all in favour of being smart and careful. I am not in favour of being paranoid.
    I know myself very well that it is paranoid.
    But if you live in DR long enough and know people and local situation well enough you must agree that all this is true unfortunatelly.

The life and safety conditions , at least in Sosua, are very different now than say two-three years ago.

With people whom I bring to DR one has to be 100% honest. Especially in matters like safety and home values.
    Otherwise - serious problems later.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by batich View Post
    To a fresh ex-pat who came to DR just a month ago I gave the following advice:

1. Be in gated ex-pat community only. You`ll see the same faces that you were trying to get rid of when you left for DR, but at least anyone who walks around and who looks differently will be very visiable.

2. Keep VERY low profile so that local people do not know about your existence. If doing any business - only with US or Europe via Internet, not with local community.

3.Do not open a local bank account as your personal financial info will leack right away to wrong people.
    Same applies to local lawyers (on exception of Mr.Guzman of course!!)

4. If possible, live without a car as being a gringo and driving a car in DR - means looking for trouble. Sooner or later. With your fault or without. Or at most - a very cheap one, to look very poor.

5. Keep close relations with two-three persons only, whom and whose background you know well. Especially be extra carefull about people who speak English. Most of them have lots of brilliant business ideas but no money in the wallet.

6. No matter what people offer you to buy and at what price - say " It is great, but I have no money".

7. Ideally, rent for two-three years. Think of buying ANYTHING only after that.

Better to be extra careful than dead.
    Batich you probably are a nice person who wants to help others, but you sure have a sense of humor.
    Last edited by A.Hidalgo; 11-12-2006 at 04:50 PM. Reason: grammar

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast