Yet another ex pat murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Last night in Juan Dolio an old italian man, Antonio was murdered in his house. He was late 70s, and only returned from Canada for the winter yesterday. Police as usual are saying he had an argument with someone as they don't want to admit the scale of the problem here - he was the sweetest old man you could ever want to meet. If I get more info I will let you know.

Matilda

Mortran

Oct 12, 2004
anti-jihad.dd.vg
Funny! What about all these big signs in Juan Dolio saying "Seguridad Democratica - Juan Dolio tambien es seguro."?
Looks like LF's new police state doesn't actually work out.
What a surprise!

P.S.: BTW 3 weeks ago a Haitian guy known as "Pesao" was also murdered there, by trashing his head with a spiked club. Nothing was stolen from him, they only wanted to kill him.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It's bad that these things are ocurring, but I think we need to separate a little bit random murders vs. people that are being killed because of personal issues that they've had with someone. It sound like this is the case with most the ex-pats I've heard of lately...

The big problem in my mind is impunity and the fact that even though police always seem to catch someone and blame them for the murder it is not always clear that they caught the right person...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The police always say that it was a personal issue - to save them having to look bad. When I was shot they decided it was my ex husband who I have had no contact with for years and who is happily remarried in England. This was a robbery pure and simple. I used to know all of the Haitians and Dominicans who live near me in 'el monte'. Antonio lived 2 minutes away. Now there are so many new people I know none of them. Most have come for the construction work. we are talking hundreds, not just a few. They set up their casitas in el monte. Opposite where Antonio lived is a lovely house which was a private residence. It is now a brothel, bar, disco and place for comida and is full of Haitians mostly, every night. It appears that Antonio was killed with a baseball bat or similar, rather than shot. The problem is that the police do nothing, but may arrest someone as suarezn says not necessarily the right person. The guys they arrested for shooting me were let out after 3 weeks as one has a part time canadian girlfriend and she paid 27,000 RD$ to the fiscal/police and they let them go, then lied to say they had someone else. I have no idea what the solution is apart from just try and improve personal security.

B

batich

To a fresh ex-pat who came to DR just a month ago I gave the following advice:

1. Be in gated ex-pat community only. You`ll see the same faces that you were trying to get rid of when you left for DR, but at least anyone who walks around and who looks differently will be very visiable.

2. Keep VERY low profile so that local people do not know about your existence. If doing any business - only with US or Europe via Internet, not with local community.

3.Do not open a local bank account as your personal financial info will leack right away to wrong people.
Same applies to local lawyers (on exception of Mr.Guzman of course!!)

4. If possible, live without a car as being a gringo and driving a car in DR - means looking for trouble. Sooner or later. With your fault or without. Or at most - a very cheap one, to look very poor.

5. Keep close relations with two-three persons only, whom and whose background you know well. Especially be extra carefull about people who speak English. Most of them have lots of brilliant business ideas but no money in the wallet.

6. No matter what people offer you to buy and at what price - say " It is great, but I have no money".

7. Ideally, rent for two-three years. Think of buying ANYTHING only after that.

Better to be extra careful than dead.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We used to walk from one end of Juan Dolio nearly every day.
Now we walk a maximum of three blocks in either direction from our condo.
Matilda....was Antonio the guy from Hamilton who has a son named Joey??
We're having trouble placing who he was (but think that may be him as he was the only Italo-Canadian we knew by that name).
All the other Antonio's we know are from Italy.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Boy, that is a wonderful way to live. Good luck.

Isn't it ever? :ermm: I would go along with batich's 7) but the whole post gets over a seige mentality which I feel has to be challenged because it is misinformation.

I am all in favour of being smart and careful. I am not in favour of being paranoid.

B

batich

Isn't it ever? :ermm: I would go along with batich's 7) but the whole post gets over a seige mentality which I feel has to be challenged because it is misinformation.

I am all in favour of being smart and careful. I am not in favour of being paranoid.

I know myself very well that it is paranoid.
But if you live in DR long enough and know people and local situation well enough you must agree that all this is true unfortunatelly.

The life and safety conditions , at least in Sosua, are very different now than say two-three years ago.

With people whom I bring to DR one has to be 100% honest. Especially in matters like safety and home values.
Otherwise - serious problems later.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006

1. Be in gated ex-pat community only. You`ll see the same faces that you were trying to get rid of when you left for DR, but at least anyone who walks around and who looks differently will be very visiable.

2. Keep VERY low profile so that local people do not know about your existence. If doing any business - only with US or Europe via Internet, not with local community.

3.Do not open a local bank account as your personal financial info will leack right away to wrong people.

4. If possible, live without a car as being a gringo and driving a car in DR - means looking for trouble. Sooner or later. With your fault or without. Or at most - a very cheap one, to look very poor.

5. Keep close relations with two-three persons only, whom and whose background you know well. Especially be extra carefull about people who speak English. Most of them have lots of brilliant business ideas but no money in the wallet.

6. No matter what people offer you to buy and at what price - say " It is great, but I have no money".

Batich you probably are a nice person who wants to help others, but you sure have a sense of humor.:cheeky:

Last edited:

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
batich

I can only agree with you on #5 #6 +#7...To each his own.....

B

batich

Batich you probably are a nice person who wants to help others, but you sure have a sense of humor.:cheeky:

I wish it were my drunk joke!
Unfortunatelly my friends who cannot return to DR anymore do not think so now.

When my friend met at fiscal`s office with a person whom he trusted like a brother and who presses a frivolious charge against him, he said - Listen, you know I do not owe you any money! Why are you doing this??!

The other guy said - This is true. But you are rich. $15G is nothing for you. Help me. You see how miserable is my life. I owe to everybody. My creditors will kill me if I do not find money for them!!

This is not a joke. And this is not a "stories that I make to attract attention to myself"

If with my wornings I can safe even one human life I am ready to hear as many personal attacks as people want.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I know myself very well that it is paranoid.
But if you live in DR long enough and know people and local situation well enough you must agree that all this is true unfortunatelly.

Well, I've lived in Puerto Plata 14 years and yes it is different now to 14 years ago. But, that doesn't stop me driving, having a number of bank accounts, investing etc etc. Nor does it stop me having a number of Dominican friends, both rich and poor. I live a normal sort of existence. I am careful and alert to what is going on around me, sure, but I'm not furtively forever looking over my shoulder............

There are certain places I won't go at nighttime, but that is common sense. And no, I don't live in a gated ex-pat community. I don't even visit them. :laugh: I don't live among gringos at all. Sosua has a disproportionate number which may account for why you feel the way you do.........

And by the way, if people want help they either ask me, or I spot it. They don't bring charges against me - no need.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
We used to walk from one end of Juan Dolio nearly every day.
Now we walk a maximum of three blocks in either direction from our condo.
Matilda....was Antonio the guy from Hamilton who has a son named Joey??
We're having trouble placing who he was (but think that may be him as he was the only Italo-Canadian we knew by that name).
All the other Antonio's we know are from Italy.

I think it was him. I have known him for a while. His wife died here about 7 years ago and he has been trying to move. he lived in the montes behind Guilias cafe. His son lived in Canada and he went there every summer. Still have no more info.

As for the advice for newcomers..... No way could I live like that. I am with Lambada 100% of the way. Living with Dominicans is why I am here..not to live in a gated community full of ex pats. Yuk!!!! At the moment I have 9 guys playing dominos on my patio who have spent from 8am this morning building a pool and moving palm trees...FREE!!! All I have heard all day is laughing and singing. Can't imagine hearing that in a gated community which you can't leave as you don't have a car, you just sit putting the country to rights over a few gin and tonics. It is just such a shame that the few bad apples spoil what is essentially a fab place. By the way, transformer should be plugged in early next week - watch the night sky.

matilda

B

batich

I am with Lambada 100% too as well.

And I hate the way of life that this ugly horrible and bad Batich is preaching for!
And will never live like this.

But if my only son ever decides to move to DR, I will ask him up to all love and respect and obedience that he has to me - to follow these ugly, paranoid seven rules.

Because I have only one son.
And I know it very well how many desperate lowlifes on the island are ready to take anybody`s life for mere 200 bucks.

"You will be watched" - a very wise and honest dominican in NY whom I call my brother all my life here, said when I told him that I want to live in the best country on Earth - Dominican Republic.

"You will be watched every day and every hour"

"You`ll have a "$" sign on your forhead forever"

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I live in santiago and I don't follow any of batich's rules. they do not apply to me as I don;t live among hookers and vagabundos. You folks choose to live in tourists areas then better pay the price, unfortunately with your lives, sometimes.
Whenever I go to sosua, i see the same scene playing 24/7. When an expat introduces you to his girlfriend, she is almost always a ghetto hoe. Whenever an expat woman shows you her boyfriend, he is always some vagabundo who lacks a job or makes 200 dollars / month or simply rides a scooter in the streets. You folks mix with the dirt poor people who think your folks are gods with unlimited wealth. why are you all so shocked that when you hear someone got robbed and killed for his money? I am surprised that doesn't happen more often.
The victim didn't deserve the death that he has suffered in such a brutal fashion but I am talking about the rest of the folks who are currently sleeping with dirt poor ghetto hoes and women who date street pimp type guys. You are all asking for trouble.
AZB (so good to be back in santiago again).

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Well, still you have to be more careful today because it has changed. So...please be careful out there. You also AZB.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
batich, you're just so negative that it is hard to deal with. What are you doing here? AZB, welcome back! M'Frog, lets leave religion out of this OK... btw your post is deleted.

Yes, things have changed tremendously. It may be that expats are involved with the wrong people and making the wrong decisions not knowing the social make-up of the DR, or it may be that crime is just so opportunistic, that expats have become victims.

Now just think if the family of the murdered man were reading this thread! They would probably not be very happy with the comments. Let's be careful about what we write. Like AZB said, the victim didn't deserve the death that he has suffered in such a brutal fashion.

Last edited:

nyguy99

Jan 30, 2005
It's about the drugs...

anyone disagree?

and I dont live in the DR but I have a hunch that if this is true, and there is practically no law enforcement or corrupt law enforcement this trend is gonna get alot worse. Tell me Im wrong.

Mar 21, 2002
Ask yourself some questions

"You will be watched" - a very wise and honest dominican in NY whom I call my brother all my life here, said when I told him that I want to live in the best country on Earth - Dominican Republic.

"You will be watched every day and every hour"

"You`ll have a "$" sign on your forhead forever"

Batich is just being safe. He's got good common sense. Dominicans are extremely nosy of each other and esp. foreigners. So be safe. You can live in a gated community and also mix with locals. Just don't bring any home or let them know where you live. You can travel to other parts of the island and move around incognito.

It's not that they are evil. Just that their nosy ways and blabbering mouths have a way of giving info to the wrong person. So avoid it.

I don't see foreigners being so frivolous in their home countries. Yet when they move to the DR, all the sensible rules they display back home are thrown to the wind. WHY? Follow his rules and you won't be lamenting later on.

There are just as many dominicans living in America who are not interested in ever going back to the DR. WHY?

AZB is also correct. Get out of the ghetto areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.