advice on december trip

tennymo

Nov 7, 2006
Hi there,

I'm in the midst of planning a trip to DR and have a few questions I hope you all can help with. I've spent some time there before (I lived in Loma de Cabrera for three months in 2001 as part of a community development project,) and I am a native spanish speaker.

Last January I returned to DR for two weeks on holiday with my sister and a friend. We flew into Santiago, spent a few days on the beach in Cabarete, then headed to Jarabacoa for a couple days and finished things off in Santo Domingo. We like to convivir when we travel - get places via gua-gua and Caribe tours, eat in local comedores, stay in small guest houses, etc. This time, we are thinking of eliminating Cabarete/North Coast area because we found it corny and touristy compared to the rest of our trip. BUT we would still like to spend some time at a hotel on or right near the beach. The only non-touristy seaside area I've seen in DR is Monte Cristi, but there aren't hotels on/right near the beach there.

I haven't been farther than the Boca Chica area heading east from Santo Domingo. Does that area (San Pedro de Macoris, La Romana) have what I'm looking for? I admit it's a bit of a paradox - a non-touristy town with a hotel on the beach - but maybe it's out there somewhere.

Mil gracias in advance for sus consejos.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Option

.... stay in small guest houses... like to spend some time at a hotel on or right near the beach. .. I admit it's a bit of a paradox - a non-touristy town with a hotel on the beach - but maybe it's out there somewhere.

Try Nagua.
The town is not touristy.
The beaches aren't either.

m'frog

tennymo

Nov 7, 2006
Thanks for the quick replies! I heard the beaches near Barahona are rocky. Are they all they way or are there some you can go barefoot on? Also what's the wave situation? I'd love it if it weren't a big bathtub a la Boca Chica. :)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks for the quick replies! I heard the beaches near Barahona are rocky. Are they all they way or are there some you can go barefoot on? Also what's the wave situation? I'd love it if it weren't a big bathtub a la Boca Chica. :)
There are nice sandy beaches.
It would be wavier than Boca Chica, anything would be, but I can't remember big waves.
Maybe Nagua would be a better option if you want waves.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Maybe even Las Galeras.....or Rincon on the tip of Samana pensisula? All depends on your desires. Juan Dolio just east of Boca Chica if you wanna stay fairly close to the city itself. Since you are native speaker, I'd just get here, take off to places unknown, and ask around as you go. Make it an adventure.
The north coast can also be adventuresome outside Nagua, Sosua, Cabarete if you go to Luperon area, Puta Rusia, Isabella, et. al. Or even east, to Playa Diamonte, past Playa Grande, or Nagua to Playa de los Gringos, La Ermita (seafood!), or around Cabrera. Get a good map, and treat yourselves whenever appropriate. Hope you have a good time.
Once you're hungry, tired and reutrning home, stop in to see us in Sosua.
cheers!

torge1ce

Nov 6, 2006
Beach Hotels in Monte Cristi

There are definitely hotels on/near the beach in Monte Cristi. There is one in town (about a 5 minute ride from the national park) as well as one right on the water just down the road from the national park. The names of the hotels are the Chic and the Montechico. I know the one in town is fairly inexpensive. I do not know the pricing on the one on the water.

oniblast

Apr 26, 2003
Your best option is definitely Nagua/Cabrera....Try El Diamante and Playa Grande....great white sand beaches. Also u can try a "balneario" called "El du du" it looks like one of the Tres Ojos, cristal clear and cold water.

Oni