Beaches in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
I read something on the board recently about there being three beaches in Sosua. I'm only familiar with Playa Sosua. Where are the others? Are they open to the public? If so, are they worth seeking out? Thanks in advance for any info.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
From East to West, not counting beaches that are part of the greater Sosua area, the 1st is Playa Chiquita, then General Imbert's Beach, then Larimar/Sosua By The Sea Beach, then Casa Marina Beach, then New Beach/Playa Alicia, then the main Sosua Bay Beach.
There are several other beaches East & West of El Batey, of course.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The only beach in Sosua worth seeking out, is Playa Sosua. On the other hand, thats maybe the best beach in the world.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Oh come on! As a beach it's only passable -- as a shopping and bar-restaurant "strip" it's something else.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm ofcourse talking about the whole beach area with bars, restaurants, shops and the atmosphere. I have been to a lot of beaches which are more spectacular.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i think cancun, brazil and costa rica would have something to say about the best beaches in the world. oh, i forgot the good ol USA...:)) for such a small beach playa sosua has a lot going on, it's great !!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Next time down try Playa Caleton in Rio San Juan. You will see the nicest beach on the North Coast and possibly the whole DR.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Re SKY
I agree, Playa Caleton is a fantastic beach. The food is delicious and the folks there are great. I'm going up there when I have friends visiting in Sosua. But to go there on an everyday basis would be a bit boring compared to Playa Sosua.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Much More

There is a lot more world out there than the beaches.
Anything you wanna do from whitewater rafting to caving to
waterfalls to bike trails to hiking to river floats, whatever.
Get off the beaches and explore the country if you get the
chance. Second biggest island in the caribbean has a LOT to
offer. go see it.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
Tor's point if I read it correctly in response to " Are there other beaches in Sosua worth seeking out?" Is a good repsonse. If you are a tourist and you are going to Sosua , then the only beach your really going to want to go to is PLaya Sosua , and it is a great beach! Im sure by best in the world he meant that it has everything, shops, resturants, bars, girls, live music, beautiful bay, killer reef to snorkel , scuba diving school, etc...
You guys got to chill on being so damn picky about every little @#%$% thing!

Island777

Oct 9, 2005
Sosua's discoverers found a beautiful beach

Imagine what Sosua beach must have looked like to whoever first discovered it before it was developed? Lined with palm trees, long cliffs on each side, waves rolling in. It was originally a very sweet beach. Subsequent development unfortunately reduced some of the beauty but everything is rather convenient!

Personally, I prefer Cabarete beach. But if you are looking for other beaches around Sosua, look on Google Earth and you will find several.

It is interesting how people take subjective feelings about a beach so personally! I agree with Senorblanco, You guys get quickly nasty! Over a beach!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
What makes a great beach to some, maybe a turnoff to others. To me, I wasn't impressed by the following so-called great beaches of the world. The black sand of Santorini reminded me of a muddy construction site. The pink sand of Elbow Beach, Bermuda was like walking on broken glass. Then of course there is Orient Beach on St. Martaan. Great if you want to watch naked middle-aged Europeans. To each his own. I'll take Sosua Beach over any of these.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
"You guys got to chill on being so damn picky about every little @#%$% thing!" ... "You guys get quickly nasty! Over a beach!"

I just didn't (and don't) want anyone unfamiliar with Sosua to go there looking for a paradise beach. I love the beach -- but I get in the water about once every four or five days -- I laze in the Sun not at all.

JenRob

Mar 27, 2006
Snorkelling

The best thing about Playa Sosua is you can snorkell out to a reef (if you are a good swimmer/snorkeller) Alas, it is not as good as 15 years ago when I first saw it. Too many people touching and standing on the reef have damaged it. Still lots of pretty fish and coral to see though. The worst thing about the beach is the stinky banos--and they charge for the privlege!--although not very much. Guess that is why I go swimming so much! ;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Personally, I prefer Cabarete beach. But if you are looking for other beaches around Sosua, look on Google Earth and you will find several.
The resolution in the Sosua area is not good enough to spot the beaches on Google.
You can barely tell that the main bay beach, is a beach.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Wait 'til they knock down all the squatter shacks.
Sosua Beach will regain it's original splendor.
I hear the cries already; ala Longbeach. Keep your
ears to the ground. I'm personally all for it.
OK, hate it, dig it, it will happen. My prediction.

B

batich

The only beach in Sosua worth seeking out, is Playa Sosua. On the other hand, thats maybe the best beach in the world.

I liked Boca Chica beach the way it used to be six-seven years ago. A very cute small nice place if you do not need a touristic crowd.

It is called the biggest natural swimming pool in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.