Non All-Inclusive recommendations please

Isitmebut

Nov 13, 2006
This is my 1st post on these boards and I would appreciate some advice about a prospective 1st visit to DR. I apologise in advance if these questions have already been asked multiple times.

Firstly we envisage a holiday next May and wonder what are the pro?s and con?s of such timing. We fear arriving in a ?low? season when much is closed?

Our other dilemma is more fundamental; where can one stay if one prefers to avoid the giant All-Inclusive resorts that seem to dominate the beach strips? Having said this, we would still like the best of both worlds with:

-A small/medium hotel of 4 or 5 stars, with a pool(s), at least a couple of decent restaurants, possibilities of B&B or half-board and some sporting activities.
-Situated ON a good beach; preferable Bavaro/Punta Cana.
-Not too far away (10/15 minutes walk or short taxi ride) from a commercial area containing several good restaurants.

As you can see we prefer some independence, good, safe and varied cuisine and hotel presence on the renowned beaches of Bavaro/Punta Cana. We dislike crowds and the organised entertainments of the huge resort complexes.

Does something like this exist or are we dreaming? (We did note the Sivory, Punta Cana but from $ 300 per person/per night this is outside our budget).

Many thanks for all advice and recommendations.

Isitmebut

Nov 13, 2006

miss j

Aug 1, 2006
try this one...

I like this place:

Los Corales, Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana

it's not a resort, it's a villa but it has a pool, private beach, a couple of restaurants, and you can take a taxi or motoconch to the commercial areas. There's even a kitchen so you can make your own meals if you want. Cleaning lady comes once a week, there's security at the beach and the front gate...it's great.

d3ratch

Apr 3, 2004
Los Corales

Isitmebut,

I think all of your requests could be met here at Los Corales except these:

"possibilities of B&B or half-board"

You cook your own food, there is a supermarket about a 10 minute walk north up the beach or a $5 taxi ride. Each apartment is equipped with small kitchen with dishes, fridge, gas stove with 4 elements only no oven. There is also an air conditioner in each apartment. There are a couple of restaurants on the complex and they are all great IMO. Our favourite is Soles on the beach, they play smooth jazz music, the beer is very cold and the food is good. A very nice place to spend your afternoons or evenings - the atmosphere is amazing.

"as for sporting activities"

There are no water sport at the complex, you may check with the Office I'm sure they would direct you to where you could book excursions.

Miss J,

I have to agree with you, we own a Villa at Los Corales :cool: and for us it truly - is Paradise.

Just a few more years before we can go and spend our entire winters there ;)

Rachel

Last edited:
Isitmebut

"We fear arriving in a ?low? season when much is closed?" is your quote.

No fear of places being closed, most hotels are AI and the ones that are not AI leave a lot to be desired.
Los Corales is a good option but if that fails stay at an AI and book the room package only many have these in off season.

johnaz

Jan 10, 2007
Anybody have any news on this place? Sueno Wellness and Resort Spa? Bavaro Beach.

Is the construction area still a hassle? Anyone stayed there recently?

suitelady79

Sep 20, 2006
Hi Isitmebut, I am glad to hear that you are going to be going outside of the resort. I went to the beach in Bavaro and since I wasn't staying in a resort, it was a lot of walking to find a location where my friends and I could settle without being harassed by resort security guards. What I mean is, no one said anything to us, but you can't just sit down anywhere on the beach if you are not staying at one of the resorts whose residents populate that particular area. After we finally found a spot, it was well worth the walk. As far as food is concerned, I found that you run more of a risk of getting sick when eating food from the AI's than you do eating outside of the resorts.

When I stayed in an AI I got sick. Everytime I ate food and stayed outside of resorts, I never go sick more than a little stomach ache that lasted a couple of hours or so. I was told by some insiders of AI's that the food at these places can be "suspect" to put it lightly, so I think your going outside of the AI is a good move!

Aug 19, 2004
Although the beach is beautiful I find that Punta Cana is a sterile and boring place dominated by the AI's. The beach is full of tourists wandering up and down looking for something to do - you could be anywhere.

If I was you I would investigate going to the Samana Peninsular and staying in one of the smaller resorts round there. The beaches are beautiful and it is more geared o independent travel. My favouite place is Las Galeras - a small though growing centre with some good small hotels (60-100 US$ per night) and eating places. Another is Las Terranas - more developed but with plenty of independent hotels and nearby is Playa Bonita.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Does anybody else have any thing new on NON-AI's in Punta Cana???

I need a hotel for next week...Don't have a clue where to go...Please help???

MQ